Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Outback Sedan 3.0R
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, got a 2005 outback sedan with a 3.0R. Squeaky brakes up front and some decent thud'ing when going over good bumps. Need more experienced eyes than my own to let me know what they see. I am interested in replacing pads, maybe rotors, and control arms. Struts maybe in the future, or maybe not cause they seem scary.

Thanks!

Pictures!

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,853 Posts
typical thread here.

looks like you got some bent stuff and worn away rubber stuff there, (typical for a 2005-2009 used subaru,...like a reason to sell it cheap, and for a buyer to fix easily).

KYB stuts. (the name subaru relabels and the last good name in struts).

(make sure you are buying for a legacy outback sedan, and not a impreza outback sport, or a plain low slung legacy sedan)

have them installed or rent some spring compressors / use some plumbers pipe clamps, ...do not toss the old springs,

subaru OEM springs are really good, if rust free / not broken and don't have 200,000 miles on them

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
1. New pads, pad clips, remove the pin bushings (or replace them), and high quality Subaru, Silglyde or other pin grease.
(buy the pad kits that include clips, the subaru kits are nice for that reason and excellent pads, but plenty of other good pads out there, it doesn't really matter for average daily drivers i've never noticed a difference).

2. new KYB struts. you can take parts to a shop and they'll install the parts for you on their spring compressor if you want to largely source parts and do the job ourself without dealing with spring compressing.

subaru rotors last the life of the vehicle, they are mechanically absolutely pointless to replace unless they're vibrating while stopping from a high speed (very typically off an interstate ramp). just replace the one vibrating rotor, again it's mechanically pointless to replace both or all.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,853 Posts
did this happen from the driveway hit, or just some nice pithole / curb smash?

·
Registered
2005 Outback Sedan 3.0R
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Umm I wont lie, is that bend there supposed to be straight? Must have seen my other thread, but nope that couldn't have been the driveway hit (I don't believe). That would be my front right side, and the hit is on the rear driver side. Is that a sway bar that's got the bend? I do know that the headlight on that side is old compared to the new one on the left that was a hit before I owned the vehicle. Maybe something missed originally?

Yeah not surprised about the comments saying this a common thread because I've seen them. I should have bought some ultrapower lower control arms I saw on rockauto a few weeks back that were $50 each because the mevotechs are $108 each. Would maybe consider bushing replacement but I've seen threads where they pop out, and I don't have the tool to pop them out and in although I could rent one I'm sure.

The car is at 149k within a month or so. Struts I figured if I got them out I would have a shop do the changing of them and I could reinstall, if I found a place that would do that.

Lastly I'm curious about your opinions if I would even really feel a large change in ride quality doing lower control arms and maybe struts sometime down the road.

Thanks.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,853 Posts
@traildogck ...seer of seers, knower of all things 2005-2009 suspension and steering and brakes.

opinion.

(if you jump from the link to imgur, and then scroll down you can see more).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts