Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased my first Subaru this past June. It is a 2000 Outback Wagon automatic. So far I have loved this car except for the poor gas mileage. About 10 days ago my ck engine light came on and I took it in to my mech and he replaced the radiator hose and changed the engine plugs. The next day the ck engine light came back on and I took it in again. The alternator was making a racket and they said the bearing was bad and they replaced the alternator as the bearing couldn't just be changed. A couple days later the ck engine light came back on and I took it back in. They replaced one of the fuel injectors hoping that was it. The next day the ck engine light came back on and the temp gage went up to HOT. Limped it in and it was the temp gage. Am wondering if there is anyone who has had a multitude of problems with this particular model. Wondering if I should sell it and cut my loses before I spend more money. It has 173,000 miles on it and not sure when the timing belt was changed so am going to need that ASAP. Mech said it looks fine but it makes me nervous as I don't want it to break and loose everything.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I think you need another mechanic.
What codes did you get?
What prompted him to replace the stated items?

O.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
Forums like this are an amazing resource, particularly for Subaru's where there's a wealth of highly experienced and technical, DIY types doing Subaru stuff.

Get used to posting symptoms and check engine light CODES here and we'll tell you how to proceed before taking the car in.

What code are you getting?

Probably cylinder misfire since he changed the plugs..but I'm just guessing- give us the exact code. If that's the case he should have replaced the spark plugs with OEM NGK's only and the spark plug wires as well with Subaru wires.

The instrument clusters it's almost unheard of to fail so you better check.

So far nothing you've listed is that big of a deal, any 10+ year old car with that many miles is going to need some maintenance. you can get lucky and get one immaculate that does you well but that's not the average.

besides headgasket issues that car is well equipped to take you to 250,000 miles if you can get through these repairs.

yes - you'll want an ebay timing belt kit - they're about $160 - $200 for timing belt, pulleys, and new tensioner. replace all that and 250,000 miles here you come (headgasket issues notwithstanding)

I purchased my first Subaru this past June. It is a 2000 Outback Wagon automatic. So far I have loved this car except for the poor gas mileage. About 10 days ago my ck engine light came on and I took it in to my mech and he replaced the radiator hose and changed the engine plugs. The next day the ck engine light came back on and I took it in again. The alternator was making a racket and they said the bearing was bad and they replaced the alternator as the bearing couldn't just be changed. A couple days later the ck engine light came back on and I took it back in. They replaced one of the fuel injectors hoping that was it. The next day the ck engine light came back on and the temp gage went up to HOT. Limped it in and it was the temp gage. Am wondering if there is anyone who has had a multitude of problems with this particular model. Wondering if I should sell it and cut my loses before I spend more money. It has 173,000 miles on it and not sure when the timing belt was changed so am going to need that ASAP. Mech said it looks fine but it makes me nervous as I don't want it to break and loose everything.

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
15,483 Posts
I do believe you got fleeced. Maybe through ignorance or purpose. What were the codes? The same code every time?

Plugs, maybe. Depends on the condition they were in.

The injector failure odds are so high its ridiculous. Change it to see if it fixes it? Really? That's what DVOMs are made for.

Temp gauge? NO. Sensor, yes. Thermostat stuck, yes. Gauge, no.

Alternator. I've seen alternators go bad and bearings make noise. Okay.

Either you have multiple issues due to poor maintenance, or they are related.

Hose could have been visibly poor. If it was a misfire code, the plugs could have been worn, but it apparently came back because he changed an injector. Did he check the fuel filter? The gauge spikes, but did the engine run hot? Alternator failure also? Bad grounds on the engine or a bad battery is a possibility. Poor ground or battery effects alternator performance, can cause misfires due to slow operation of the ECM or sensors and outputs utilized in running the engine and transmission. Temp gauge, also electrical, could be a bad ground or failed temp sender. If the engine actually ran hot, then it needs a thermostat or the "mechanic" didn't get the system bled of all the air when he changed the hose.

More often than not, problems with these cars stem from two things: Poor maintenance and overlooking the real issue which is oftentimes something simple. When ignored, that's when it turns ugly. Chasing an issue also makes things worse, on your bank account.

So, find another shop with good technicians, regardless of keeping this car or getting another. Buying used is a gamble you take. Including the next one.

Me, I'd repair it, keep up maintenance and drive it. Proper care and it will outlast a lot of other vehicles.

·
Registered
13 Outback 2.5 Premium CVT
340 Posts
It sounds like your mechanic doesn't really know what the problem is so just starts throwing parts at it with the hopes he guesses correctly sooner or later and the problem goes away.

That's why I quit trying to self diagnose cars years ago, I'd have a slight miss so I'd change plugs, then points, then cap and wires, then fuel filter, then this, then that and on and on which seldom fixed the problem but always costs lots of money and time by the time I was done.

I finally found a good mechanic and let him do his experienced thing and I'd work a Saturday to pay for it and take Sunday off instead of working again on my car like I had for the last several prior weekends.

Find a different mechanic.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts