• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
2001 H6 LL Beany in Burgandy
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everyone here was SO helpful last time I bought a used Outback- my second car ever. You did me proud, and one of you even called the dealer and got some money off for me! Loved that. My H6 2001 with 145k miles is still doing great (although it is in the shop again) but overall I have been very happy, and still am. We have 14k in savings for the event of needing to trade up, and can add a few more thousands to the pile if needed.

What I am wondering is how should I make this decision, to sell or keep, what factors should I take into consideration?
Also, what are the new features or things to look out for, or avoid, from the last few year's models? We would never buy brand new and feel more comfortable in the 14-18k range. Is there a reason to wait a few years to get todays newer models used down the line?
We do like the idea of the updates we would get: usb or bluetooth, back cameras, and the auto tail gait - neat stuff!

Ultimately should I just keep on with the H6? Or is now the time to sell, since it is starting to cost more at the shop and is approaching the 150k mark- may be easier to sell for a few K before it goes over that number?

About my car : Bought in 2010, for 10 k, my car is such a great hauler and camping car, we don't mind getting its insides all messy and we love its leather heated seats, and it feels great to drive- still feels luxurious, maybe because it is an H6 LLbean.
We don't mind that the 10 player cd thing is broken now because we still have the single one.
We don't mind that the roof window had to get sealed shut permanently because it leaked.
We don't mind that the dash got dash rot and that I made a matching mix of paint to cover it.

Our shop told us it has a great engine, so we kept it after the last debate to sell and since then we have spent:

2016: $630
2017: $87
2018: $269
2019: $2533 tires, wheel bearing, new cv axles, tie rods, alignment, ball joint,
2020: so far $1400- in the shop this week for transmission problem- they said something about fixing the transmission line...

thanks for any tips and help :)

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Everyone here was SO helpful last time I bought a used Outback- my second car ever. You did me proud, and one of you even called the dealer and got some money off for me! Loved that. My H6 2001 with 145k miles is still doing great (although it is in the shop again) but overall I have been very happy, and still am. We have 14k in savings for the event of needing to trade up, and can add a few more thousands to the pile if needed.

What I am wondering is how should I make this decision, to sell or keep, what factors should I take into consideration?
Also, what are the new features or things to look out for, or avoid, from the last few year's models? We would never buy brand new and feel more comfortable in the 14-18k range. Is there a reason to wait a few years to get todays newer models used down the line?
We do like the idea of the updates we would get: usb or bluetooth, back cameras, and the auto tail gait - neat stuff!

Ultimately should I just keep on with the H6? Or is now the time to sell, since it is starting to cost more at the shop and is approaching the 150k mark- may be easier to sell for a few K before it goes over that number?

About my car : Bought in 2010, for 10 k, my car is such a great hauler and camping car, we don't mind getting its insides all messy and we love its leather heated seats, and it feels great to drive- still feels luxurious, maybe because it is an H6 LLbean.
We don't mind that the 10 player cd thing is broken now because we still have the single one.
We don't mind that the roof window had to get sealed shut permanently because it leaked.
We don't mind that the dash got dash rot and that I made a matching mix of paint to cover it.

Our shop told us it has a great engine, so we kept it after the last debate to sell and since then we have spent:

2016: $630
2017: $87
2018: $269
2019: $2533 tires, wheel bearing, new cv axles, tie rods, alignment, ball joint,
2020: so far $1400- in the shop this week for transmission problem- they said something about fixing the transmission line...

thanks for any tips and help :)
This is a tough one. Old Subarus are in my mind, like classics. As long as there's no structural rust, and it's mechanically sound (with repairs) they're terrific. But things like uphostery do wear out, as do all kinds of other things. It sounds like with the transmission repair you should be good to go for a while longer - BUT if as you say you want amenities like auto tailgate, that's a separate conversation.

Since you've already committed to paying for the transmission repair, you could be on the lookout for the ideal next Subie as a hobby for the next few months.

I think a 2009 Gen 3 with the H6 would be a great choice and staying small like the one you have now. Gen 4 is larger and still comes with a traditional automatic. Gen 5 is larger still, and begins the CVT generation and you start to get things like automatic tailgate.

All of these amenities come with increased complexity, more things potentially to go wrong, and change the character of the vehicle. What I like about older Subarus are their simplicity and mechanical excellence. All the important stuff but without the frills.

Since your 2001 is being fixed, there's no harm in test driving a few Outbacks of various generations before making a final decision on "upgrading".

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,475 Posts
your present car would be great for a student, or a local grocery getter, or perhaps a kid's first car. Think about your extended family for a possible new owner.

2016 and after seems to be when the CVT problems were mostly worked-out.

I'm sure others will have some ideas.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
All of these amenities come with increased complexity, more things potentially to go wrong, and change the character of the vehicle. What I like about older Subarus are their simplicity and mechanical excellence. All the important stuff but without the frills.
2016 and after seems to be when the CVT problems were mostly worked-out.
Thank you for your replies. I just read the thread that talked about the Generation 2s being the best generation. Even the founder of this forum agreed. This made me feel pretty happy with my car. The newer amenities would just be for fun- not necessary- and yeah you are right about the complexity issue.
Thank you both for the tips on what to look for. I know nothing about cars, so will have to google CVT.
Yes it is already a hobby and now I have just set up all these searches to email me every day- ohoh timesuck :)

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
5,666 Posts
Reading between the limes a bit - I believe you really want to keep this car.

Exclude from the costs you outlined everything that is expected wearout - such as all of the 2019 expenditures - which you will pay for regardless on any car. Then the amount this vehicle is costing you is much more tolerable.

Once you have that number settled, then ask yourself how much a newer vehicle will cost, and compare the two.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
yikes, garage called again, looks like they are having some more transmission problems- a potential leak, but he is going to wait for it to cool and put more fluid in to check...will wait for the proper update later today. If it was you- how much $ would you be willing to spend fixing the transmission -until you called it quits?
I know nothing about cars- but trust our local mechanic. Trying to search the forum for ideas on transmission repair costs.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ohno. Update from our local mechanic is that because he filled the lines up he was able to ascertain that we need a new transmission because it was still having trouble changing gear. Says the car served us well, and it is time for a new one. We trust his advice, and how nice he didn't charge us at all for the diagnosis.
Cost to fix it would be 2500 for a used transmission or 4k plus for a new one. So now the fun begins in really looking for a newer car. Quite exciting, but sad about my nice H6.

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
10,960 Posts
ohno. Update from our local mechanic is that because he filled the lines up he was able to ascertain that we need a new transmission because it was still having trouble changing gear. Says the car served us well, and it is time for a new one. We trust his advice, and how nice he didn't charge us at all for the diagnosis.
Cost to fix it would be 2500 for a used transmission or 4k plus for a new one. So now the fun begins in really looking for a newer car. Quite exciting, but sad about my nice H6.
Wanna sell your broke H6?

If you want to save money there is still plenty of life in the chassis.

If you want the newer technology, better safety, better gas mileage, better emissions, etc then it's not really a choice.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yes, we are not going to put another 4k into it. Will try to sell. Any tips on that? Our garage gave us a couple of websites- LKQ.com being one of them.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Orlando

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks Brucey. Yes it is rust free, will see what the websites quote us.

·
Registered
2014 Subaru Outback 2.5 Premium
490 Posts
Yes you probably will miss it, I would stick with the H6 if possible. I like the 4 but I know a lot here say the 6 and since you have had one go for another if possible. Avoid the first year of any new gen it seems like they have the most issues, maybe 2017-2019 if you can find in your price range were good years. If you don't want a CVT you can look 4th GEN H6 they didn't have the CVT in them.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I just found a nice 2013 H6 down the road for
$13k at the dealer. 76000 miles. Any thoughts or tips?
Not sure what to make of the carfax- it moved from one dealer to another between may and july- also it says
"Vehicle serviced Engine checked
Engine/powertrain computer/module checked"

Does that mean it might have had engine trouble?
Anyway, going to test drive tonight! Wish me luck

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ok guys please help! I'm so annoyed!
We just went to test drive this car- listed on autotrader for 12700 something- get there to drive it and he comes out with the piece of paper with out the door price with tradein too, saying 16k something!

LAst car we bought was on Craigsist- so this just blew me away. We did get him down to 15k something- but what the heck!!!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Here is the quote- so advertised at 12700 but actually out the door is more like 16k - is that normal?? We wont be back probably- shame we really loved the car

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Here is the quote- so advertised at 12700 but actually out the door is more like 16k - is that normal?? We wont be back probably- shame we really loved the car View attachment 489471
I think they're trying to pull a fast one. Low-ball price advertised then tack on bogus fees. I can't evaluate whether or not the car is worth it, but given the way they're behaving, I'd have a hard time trusting them. There are some people in this forum that work at dealerships selling new and used vehicles so maybe they have some more legitimate input than my layman's impression of the situation.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts