Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Outback 2.5i Premium, 2017 Forester 2.5i Premium
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanted to see what the group consensus might be here. Thinking about trading in my 2014 Outback Premium for a 2018 same trim level. I currently owe about 5500 and highest trade-in offer I received thus far is just at 15K, so I have a bit of equity in it. I thought about waiting as it will be paid off next year but wasn't too sure what the depreciation would look like by then. Would it be close to the same amount of equity, etc... The other "dilemma" is should I wait it out a few more months and get the 2019. Or I could just drive this one into the dirt and come out of pocket when the time comes to get a new vehicle in the future.

·
Premium Member
2007 2.5 L Obsidian Black Outback XTL
603 Posts
I am nervous about the first year of any new generation. There will be some pain involved as it is a completely new type of vehicle and things will pop up. Personally I feel much better about the last year of a product line, any bugs that could of been worked out will have been.

Then again, if you are enthusiastic about some anticipated feature that may make it worth the wait.

Reactions: donaldedwards

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah that was another concern I had. Kind of why I went with the 14 over the 15. Although the complete redesign isn’t due till 2020, correct? Might be worth waiting till the ‘19 rolls out.

·
Registered
2018 Legacy 36R
299 Posts
Is there really that much difference between a 2014 and 2018? If yours is still in good condition you should consider keeping it at least for another year or two.

·
Registered
2018 Dark Blue Outback 3.6R Touring arrived 8/31/2017
343 Posts
The answer is yes!
:help:

Reactions: DugsSin

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
The all-new body style (2020 model year) is going to be on the street in 13 months. Expect some bonus depreciation on any older one in this time frame.

It may not matter though, the used Outback market has been up nationwide for years now. That may cancel out such depreciation.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,305 Posts
Yeah that was another concern I had. Kind of why I went with the 14 over the 15. Although the complete redesign isn’t due till 2020, correct? Might be worth waiting till the ‘19 rolls out.
historically subaru does little in its last year:

but puts more things on the base models. like eyesight as standard for 2019 outback/legacy.
(that was announced a few days ago).

maybe a special edition with better stereo/infotainment/moon roof / wheels. (without leather)

______

how many miles on your old one? any trans or engine work under the extended warranties?
_____

and maybe waiting for the 2020 on the global platform is a good thing. (more than just a redesign, )

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
historically subaru does little in its last year:

but puts more things on the base models. like eyesight as standard for 2019 outback/legacy.
(that was announced a few days ago).

maybe a special edition with better stereo/infotainment/moon roof / wheels. (without leather)

______

how many miles on your old one? any trans or engine work under the extended warranties?
_____

and maybe waiting for the 2020 on the global platform is a good thing. (more than just a redesign, )

Yeah I saw the lack of major changes with the 2014 when I got it. Eyesight would be nice but I wasn’t willing to pay extra for it.

My ‘14 has 55k on it. No engine and trans issues/work done. Has some minor things that need to be done but other than normal cosmetic wear and tear it’s in pretty good shape.

My wife and I keep flip flopping on the matter. I could have a paid off car in 1+ years but with potentially less equity and who knows what repairs. Or I could trade in now use my equity and end up with a lower monthly payment.

The ‘14 was the first new car I’ve ever purchased so I’ve never had equity to trade back in with. All my previous cars have been used around $10k. I’d drive them until I couldn’t get anything more out of them and then buy another.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Just wait for the 2020 it might be first gen on the new global platform but it won’t be first gen for the running gear. Just like my 2 2010’s new platform old engine cvt was new but ours have been zero issues. The new engine in the 13-15’s suffered lots of problems though.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah kind of where I’m leaning now. Wait and see what the 2020 looks like. If I’m not a fan then I can still get a good deal on the outgoing 2019. This way I’ll be closer to having it paid off too.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,305 Posts
Yeah kind of where I’m leaning now. Wait and see what the 2020 looks like. If I’m not a fan then I can still get a good deal on the outgoing 2019. This way I’ll be closer to having it paid off too.

you got so few miles on the 2014 right now, at 55,000. no where near the 100,000 CVT / Engine extended warrantees.

just watch your oil dipstick, and trans behavior and get the big free fixes if need be. =such should help resale value.
(like a fixed car vs. one that is potentially going to break on the next owner or the dealer it is traded to).

·
Registered
2016 2.5i Ltd Outback (Tungsten)
835 Posts
This thread is confusing me. 2014 is Gen 4 and 2018 is Gen 5, right? 2018 is not the first year of Gen 5, 2015 is. So the OP is talking about going from the last year of Gen 4 to the 3rd year of Gen 5, right?

·
Registered
2016 WRX, 2017 BRZ, 2017 Legacy
366 Posts
Every time you trade you lose $$. The more you trade, the more you lose.

I'd avoid the '18 based on head units malfunctioning.

What is your motivation for trading it?

Not having car payments is a wonderful thing. Owning my vehicles is no longer dependent on maintain my income levels. My emergency fund is smaller. And I set aside money every month for the next vehicle. I say keep it, pay it off, and then save for the next one. These cars aren't made in Germany so it's like you need to drop it like a hot potato when it goes over 60k miles.

·
Registered
2021 Outback Onyx Edition XT
1,900 Posts

Just be aware that you may not be able to get the perfect 2019, as by this point you'll probably be outside of factory order windows, and you'll have to pick up something that's on a lot somewhere. That doesn't mean it's not a good car, just meaning it might not be exactly what you want.

(That's what happened to me with my 2011 Outback - but it has been an exceptional car!)

I was gung-ho about getting a 2019 Outback 3.6 as this was going to be the last before they almost certainly phase it out (unconfirmed) for the 2.4 turbo that's in the Ascent, for example. But after test driving the Ascent, and seeing how good it drove despite the Ascent being almost 1000 pounds heavier, I'm on board with letting the 6 cylinder go. For me, I'd rather have the global platform. I was hoping I would dislike the way the 2.4 drove compared to the 3.6 - and man, it is butter smooth. The engineers really got this one right.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
4,275 Posts

Not having car payments is a wonderful thing. Owning my vehicles is no longer dependent on maintain my income levels. My emergency fund is smaller. And I set aside money every month for the next vehicle. I say keep it, pay it off, and then save for the next one. These cars aren't made in Germany so it's like you need to drop it like a hot potato when it goes over 60k miles.
Hard to argue with any of that. Being ahead of the game financially when it comes to vehicle purchase is a great place to be but it is tough to get there if you aren't making the big bucks.

After taking a beating trading in my first new car (2009 Toyota Matrix) after one year because it just wasn't working for me, I rolled the negative equity into my new 2010 Ford Escape. I financed that for a longer period (5 or 6 years, I can't recall) to keep my payment at an amount I was comfortable with. I paid as much extra as I could and paid it off in a little over 4 years. At that point it was tempting to jump into another new vehicle but I stuck it out. Because I was used to making that monthly payment I kept it in my budget and just put that money in the bank every month instead.

I had already been putting a little away to upgrade my old rusty pickup and when I added my monthly "payment" to that savings I was able to buy a newer used truck after a couple of years and paid about 16K in cash for it and didn't have to mess with financing.

Last year I leased my '17 Outback, which while it likely isn't the best financial option, I liked the flexibility it gives me. I traded in the Escape but took most of the trade-in money in the form of a check rather than using it towards the lease. A big chunk of that money went into savings and because my lease payment is cheaper than the payment if I financed buying the car I put an extra $150/month into my car fund as well. So when my lease is up in early 2020 I I won't have a trade-in but could have in the ball park of 10K set aside. I could use that towards buying back the leased Outback at that point or going in a different direction.

I guess ideally the thing to do is keeping working to get further ahead of the game and get to where I could pay cash for a new one if I wanted but that will take a while.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
I agree with the above. And kudos to you for your financial willpower.

One thing to consider if you're really worried about the 2.4T vs. the 3.6 engine, is you could lease a 2019 Outback, and then you aren't tied to it if you prefer the redesign MY2020 going forward. If you like it, buy it at the end of the lease. But, you can also take advantage of the Guaranteed Trade In Program after 12 months of ownership, too. Again, leasing isn't the most financially savvy decision for non-businesses, but there are several perks that you pay a premium for in the end; one of the most attractive is that, in theory, you always have a car that is only a couple years old, so your likelihood of a mechanical problem are significantly lower (but not eliminated completely), and any repairs you require are covered under warranty.

Some dealers even include maintenance packages if you lease, because they want a mechancially sound car when you turn it in.

Just food for thought - I'm a big fan of having a ton of information before you make your decision. For me, with a trade in, I can't justify the financials to lease. For me, it's better to just buy/finance, and then trade if I hated it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
All great suggestions...much appreciated. I definitely think I’m going to wait it out now at least till the 2020. Motivation for trading it was no more than got a really good offer on a 2018. Seeing as I am so close to having it paid off the smart move is to wait it out. I do like the idea of pocketing the payment as well once I get the note paid off as I am comfortable with it already in budget.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
All great suggestions...much appreciated. I definitely think I’m going to wait it out now at least till the 2020. Motivation for trading it was no more than got a really good offer on a 2018. Seeing as I am so close to having it paid off the smart move is to wait it out. I do like the idea of pocketing the payment as well once I get the note paid off as I am comfortable with it already in budget.

We should start seeing info about the 2020 Outback around Jan-Feb 2019 if past patterns continue at the auto shows. Hopefully you can get the info you need (engine, special features like ones on the Ascent that we don’t have like ventilated seats, etc) to make your decision. You can still make an order for a 2019 Outback that early.

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,529 Posts

Cars in Germany are not what they used to be anymore. Actually, they have more lower quality issues than Japanese or S. Korean vehicles not to mention very expensive service, repairs and parts after they are out of warranty.

I would stick with Japanese and/or S. Korean vehicles and also I would avoid first or second new or re-designed production years, regardless of country of origin. Just look at Tesla...LOL

·
Registered
6,069 Posts

My opinion is that life is short. If you want a new car and you can afford it....then buy it.

Reactions: Yoda_One
1 - 20 of 27 Posts