Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to replace my front lower control arm bushings next week on my 2005 OBXT. Would it be wise to change the ball joints at the same time (as you have have them half out anyway?). Mine or working fine and appear original, but I do have 96K on the car.

Moog ones are running $25 a piece...

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
Car: 2008 Tribeca, 2010 LGT, Sold: 2005 XT Limited
2,926 Posts
I wouldn't replace them unless you think there is a problem. But if you do, you might as well get a fully loaded control arm with the front bushing, ball joint and rear bushing. The rear bushing is often torn. That's what is wrong with mine. I will just replace the rear bushing, but if I had to replace the front bushing as well, I'd get the whole control arm. Fred beans sells the fully loaded unit IIRC.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can find the loaded LCA's

Fred Beans only list the Spec B arms loaded... am I missing something? I can't afford the Aluminum Spec B's but they look really nice.

·
Registered
2005 LL Bean
138 Posts
I just did the LCA bushings on mine. My thought is: If you have a press and the know-how, get the bushings. If you don't, get the arms. It's still more money to get them complete rather than just the soft parts.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a press

I have a press and I know how to do the job, so I'm going to buy the bushings and press them in. I just wanted to get a feel on how quickly these ball joints fail.
I had one fail on my Honda CRX 10 years ago, and I don't want to repeat that experience. If they are more like a 150K part, then I will wait. If not, $50 now is not a bad idea....

·
Registered
2005 LL Bean
138 Posts
I have a press and I know how to do the job, so I'm going to buy the bushings and press them in. I just wanted to get a feel on how quickly these ball joints fail.
I had one fail on my Honda CRX 10 years ago, and I don't want to repeat that experience. If they are more like a 150K part, then I will wait. If not, $50 now is not a bad idea....
I did my LCA bushing as an emergency repair. It was in 2 pieces and I didn't want tot drive it like that. I need to do the other side and will most likely do ball joints at the same time. Mine don't see overly worn, but as you said, for the price, why not? Will be nice to know it's all done and ready for many more miles.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ordered the Ball Joints

Good advice.... I just went ahead and ordered the ball joints... If I have trouble getting one off, at least I will have a new one waiting to replace it.

·
Registered
Car: 2008 Tribeca, 2010 LGT, Sold: 2005 XT Limited
2,926 Posts
If you have a hydraulic press and a nice collection of cups, then definitely worth doing the bushing separately. $188 for each arm with Ball Joints. Where separate parts are about $80.

Rumor has it Subaru ball joints rarely fail. I don't think I've seen a single post on a failed ball joint on here. Just cracked knuckles because people try to spread the knuckle to release the ball (DOESN'T WORK and usually breaks) or they break the pinch bolt.

Note: I had a bad link in there for the fully loaded arm. Edited it, and added here again:

http://www.subarupartsforyou.com/cp_...&model=Outback

1 - 9 of 9 Posts