Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should there be lights behind my the climate control? there is a green light that comes on for the AC and the fan indictor light comes on, but there is no illumination behind the little pictures and the blue and red bar or the fan speed. I have a 98 legacy outback.

·
Tokyo's between my toes
6,696 Posts
Welcome!

This is one of the quirks of that generation of OBs, the vent panel lights burn out. They're back there, hardly larger than grains of rice, and you have to dismantle much of the center of the dash to get to them. There are threads about this on scoobymods.com. Several people here have also done the procedure.

·
Super Moderator
6,009 Posts
I've done it.
It's relatively simple. The hardest/most time consuming part is the actual removal of the unit from the dash.

Once it's out of the dash, it's a piece of cake as long as you are relatively comfortable with very very simple wiring, and I do mean simple.

Check that scoobymods thread and also do a search here for "HVAC" and you'll find the info. The Radio Shack bulbs are perfect. If you've got any specific questions or need any assistance don't hesitate to send me a PM or an email.

_Steve_

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
thanks! i'd been wondering abt that for sevl years after unsuccessfully trying to find and fix em on ex' 95 Legacy.

·
Registered
169 Posts
as others have said, yes there are "small" lamps behind the panel & yes it is a relatively simple task

2 things to watch for are the buttons & the only wiring I remember from my 96 OB was for the cig lighter

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i followed that tutorial with the radioshack bulbs, although the online part number is 272-1092. It was a cinch after you do the first one, some of the tab placements were tricky. It was however a sucess. Thnaks guys.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
6 Participants
davestout
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing