Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 99 O/B WGN does this weird thing:
When I'm stopped in traffic or at a light in D with the brake on, the vehicle shudders. It smoothes out when I shift into neutral.

It also shifts with a noticeable thunk from 1st to 2nd while accelerating from a stop.

This car only has 47,000 miles on it...is this common? :confused:

·
Tokyo's between my toes
6,696 Posts
I can't really say, as I drive a stick shift. But a lot of cars will vibrate when standing in drive - is your engine idling smoothly?

·
Super Moderator
6,009 Posts
The hard shifting is very common for Subaru transmissions, you'll find tons of discussion about it scattered around this board. It's something we've all gotten used to and learned to live with...we trade that bad for the numerous good things our cars give us.

My car shudders too. If I switch to neutral and give her a little gas, the shudder disappears.
It is VERY bad when the A/C is running (which isn't very often, I always feel like I am strangling my car anytime I run it). If the A/C is on and I come to a stop, the engine shakes and shimmies like it is in a twist contest. But if I simply push the green A/C button, the shaking dramatically stops.

I'm not sure what causes the "Scooby Seizures," but I'd say it has something to do with the amount of fuel in the engine, because as soon as I switch to neutral and give her gas, the shuddering stops.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The car idles very smoothly..especially after warming up.
It's gonna take me some time to get used to this car...I drove a rough-riding stick shift toyota pickup before and I knew that beast inside and out.

I too notice this "shudder" especiall with the AC on.

I'm starting to sound like a automotive hypochondriac here.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
3 Participants
robzbilder
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing