Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Ice Silver Onyx
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2020 Onyx as developed a new problem. As the weather gets colder it has developed a shudder at low speeds around 25 to 35 Mph. The way it feels makes me think of bad clutch that's chattering when you let off the pedal. I'm going to the dealer Monday and hope I don't hear the dreaded it's normal operation line that I've been told before. Already have SOA in my contacts so I'm getting prepared ;).

·
Registered
2019 Outback 3.6R Touring
522 Posts
My 2020 Onyx as developed a new problem. As the weather gets colder it has developed a shudder at low speeds around 25 to 35 Mph. The way it feels makes me think of bad clutch that's chattering when you let off the pedal. I'm going to the dealer Monday and hope I don't hear the dreaded it's normal operation line that I've been told before. Already have SOA in my contacts so I'm getting prepared ;).
It is your transmission most likely.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,831 Posts
Keep us updated on this - my 2020 Onyx is my first CVT - have not noticed any shuddering on mine but temps are mild where I am. Could you capture video of your tachometer during shudder events?

·
Registered
2021 Subaru Outback Premium, 2015 Toyota Sienna LE AWD
22 Posts
My advice is don’t take no for an answer. Make them repair it and open a case if you have to.

·
Premium Member
6,831 Posts
I'll try and get my better half to hold the camera and get a video if possible. As far as I have noticed the tach is pretty steady.
The 25 to 35mph range makes me think it's not the torque converter clutch and more likely a belt but either way the tach needle may wiggle or jump during slip/stick events. Showing it to the dealer along with audio may help them to acknowledge it as not 'normal'. If the tach is rock steady maybe the engine is stumbling. I have had my car seem to stumble at around 35mph about 3 minutes after a cold start and I'm not sure if that's something that has to do with the torque converter or the engine itself, but it's not repeatable and only happens after the first start of the day. The first time it happened I thought the engine had momentarily died but now that I have 6000 miles on the car it happens less frequently and less noticeable. If your problem is getting worse instead of better it's a different situation!

·
Registered
20 Outback Premium
1,624 Posts
If the manager will hook up their service laptop to the obd port and ride with you while you duplicate the problem, they will have evidence of what’s causing the shudder. In my case everyone thought it was the CVT but it ended up being the engine. Good luck with yours.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I had a 2020/ascent ( same engine/ transmission) that around 2000 miles had a shutter around 20-35 mph. Was almost impossible to keep at an even speed and very very noticable . It then would feel like you took off twice from a stoplight, rev to around 2000rpms then drop to about 900 rpms then back up again . Took to dealership and they feed me bs about turbo lag and the cvt . No vehicle should be this horrible to drive . Around 3500 miles coming to stop felt like I was rear ended and the fake shifts were all over the place and very harsh. Around 4000 miles it would jump up about 1000 more rpms let out a faint squeek and then drop back to normal. Took to dealership and a short drive around dealership parking lot said transmission was trash. Well no **** lol . Anyway some 2020 transmissions were made with a defective internal pressure valve/ sensor. Don’t remember what he said for sure if it was valve or sensor was pissed after he said a month and a half to fix and at the time transmissions were back ordered with another ascent ahead of mine . the transmissions have a history of being junk, don’t let the dealership bs you that that’s how it’s supposed to drive, they did me at first, but proved them wrong when it failed. first Trip ( along with many others ) was a waste of time because they told me that’s how these turbo/ cut subarus drive .

·
Registered
2020 Ice Silver Onyx
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just to update this thread. My Onyx is sitting at the dealer waiting for a transmission. When I arrived thought we would never get it to replicate the issue. First tech just gave me the it’s normal garbage. Second time was with the service manager and he said that it’s definitely not normal. Glad at least someone besides me could feel it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
glad to hear that they believed you that your transmission is bad . Sucks that it is . It took a couple trips and it REALLY acting up before they believed me on my ascent ( same transmission) . How long did they tell you it would be in shop?? Mine was a month and a half because back ordered and another ascent ahead of mine. That alone, plus it already racked up 23 days before transmission for other issues, more than qualified it for lemon law . I started lemon law , called Subaru of American, and dealership . I didnt want a 4 month old 44000 dollar vehicle violated and torn apart . Dealership ended up contacting me offering a new ascent , but no way was I making that mistake again. Anyway, they bought back the ascent and gave me a fantastic deal on a forester. I took it.a new car and cash back. So , if it’s going to be a month and a half, and you don’t want the outback after it’s torn apart and put back together, you should have options. I also asked them if they were putting a new , improved transmission in , and the said no , replacement just the same. I really didn’t want same with the high failure they had in the ascent. Best of luck, I know how frustrating it is

·
Registered
2020 Ice Silver Onyx
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
For now they said at the most two weeks. Depends on how long to get the transmission which luckily was available. This has been the big issue with my car. It was fine till around 24000 that’s when things started going south and the cold just amplified the issue. Right now I’m driving a Forester which is a great ride. But I like my onyx better. Just keeping my fingers crossed that they do the job properly and not half a**ed.

·
Registered
2020 Onyx XT
989 Posts
My 2014 2.5 did this from the day it was bought till I traded it in at 200k miles.

My 2020 Onyx also did it, badly at first, and its still there, but tamed.

I think its as-designed for a cvt. It's about the torque converter. If you are used to an auto transmission, it uses a fluid, so feels mushy. i.e. smooth, though its actually losing some power. Think of it as a clutch thats always partially engaged at lower speed, so always a slightly open clutch. It doesn't lock up till you reach the highest gear. A manual has a clutch and locks up at all speeds when you let off the clutch and drop in gear, but you do feel it letting off and locking back up when you work the clutch. From disconnected to fully connected. Jerkiness, but you're in control, so you anticipate it and it seems normal.

A cvt torque converter is kind of a hybrid. It partially locks up as low as 5 mph, and is fully locked by 15-20 mph and remains locked through subsequent gear changes. Feels like an auto when getting going from a stop, like a manual with a clutch at low speeds, and a direct, feel it in your butt connection to gear ratio changes while accelerating at moderate speeds. If your jerkiness feels like a manual transmission, thats why, but you aren't in control so the anticipation is missing and it seems wrong.

My personal observation is that it gets a little smoother once the transmission learns you. But its still there. If a new driver was in it, for instance, its started to learn them and unlearn you, and will feel different.

Or it could be broken! Don't make this post mean you dont get it checked out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts