Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all - new here, and want to get some collective thoughts on a problem I’m navigating:
I have a ‘14 Outback 2.5 limited now 90k that has been shuddering while braking over the past 5-6 months. I figured it was the brakes (they definitely needed to be), got those replaced, but no improvement. A week later I started getting “low oil” lights 3 months post oil change (only full synth used), which to me was atypical. My particular vehicle has a history of a leaky engine seal, so took in to the dealer to get everything checked out.
Service dept comes back, says having to put a pint in between oil changes is normal, and that it’s the deteriorating front bushings making the shuddering. I live in the desert, so it seemed moderately plausible. Bushings replaced, and the first chance I have to brake while leaving the dealer it shudders, big time. I recorded the sound, took it back in and asked them to figure it out.

I know the CVT can have issues, but what the service rep came back with THIS time was it’s “all 3 engine mounts that are causing the concern. I don’t buy it. Has anyone else had similar issues?

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
15,571 Posts
I think I hear a little rumble just before the car stops. Is that it?

If it is and you feel it in the seat, gear shift, and car, then that is one of the things the TCC does when the valve body starts down hill. Next it'll be doing it when you start from a stop.

If the brakes were the problem, the car would shake, vibrate, shudder when braking and it will be more pronounced the faster you are going when you hit the brake.

If the engine mounts were the problem, and I've not changed any on this gen and I've had higher mileage Outbacks, Foresters and Imprezas in the shop with this FB engine, then the engine would be vibrating at idle in P, N and maybe worse in Drive.

Possible it could be an axle.

If you can get a longer video of it doing it and show the tach and speedometer, that would maybe help narrow it down.

·
Registered
2005 Outback 2.5i
481 Posts
if this is only happening while braking.....I wouldn't think it would be a CV.
Could be a loose (or missing) caliper mounting bolt. I had one wiggle loose not too long ago, and would shudder while braking.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hey all - new here, and want to get some collective thoughts on a problem I’m navigating:
I have a ‘14 Outback 2.5 limited now 90k that has been shuddering while braking over the past 5-6 months. I figured it was the brakes (they definitely needed to be), got those replaced, but no improvement. A week later I started getting “low oil” lights 3 months post oil change (only full synth used), which to me was atypical. My particular vehicle has a history of a leaky engine seal, so took in to the dealer to get everything checked out.
Service dept comes back, says having to put a pint in between oil changes is normal, and that it’s the deteriorating front bushings making the shuddering. I live in the desert, so it seemed moderately plausible. Bushings replaced, and the first chance I have to brake while leaving the dealer it shudders, big time. I recorded the sound, took it back in and asked them to figure it out.

I know the CVT can have issues, but what the service rep came back with THIS time was it’s “all 3 engine mounts that are causing the concern. I don’t buy it. Has anyone else had similar issues?
when you got the brakes done, did this include rotors?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
when you got the brakes done, did this include rotors?
Yep - thought that was the thing actually since the front rotors were warped. The rear rotors were fine but needed a little smoothing. I saw them before and after, so I know they got done.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts