Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Limited Tungsten Metallic
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my third winter with my 2015 OB 2.5Ltd, and it's been a great car for us. Well before we got into these Artic Air temps the past week, I had the car abruptly shut down after starting and putting it in gear (it happened in both R and D). I didn't allow any warm up time, but I haven't had to in the past 2 winters. Sometimes it almost feels like the CVT stops working and the engine follows almost instantly. Almost seems like an electronic decision by the car?

Maybe the car is just telling me I have to be nice and let it warm up for 60 seconds (which I am now doing). Not sure I should get this checked -- the car runs fine if I give it 1-2 minutes to run, even in -28C temperatures.

I am not due for service until June when the lease is up, but I am planning to buy out the residual and keep the car.

Any advice?
... Jim

·
Registered
2017 2.5 Touring
1,413 Posts
Since you have had the car, has it been as cold as it was last week or so?
If not, it could just be the extreme cold. I just went thru -28 below, car outside, and it was quite an experience. it started, but unbelievable weirdness in sound, drivability, etc.
I do recall in the '70s, we had 60 below F actual temp in Wisconsin. I had a 67 chev V8 that was plugged in. Manual tranny. Started up fine, but in in neutral, could not let the clutch out for 10 minutes or so, as the oil in the 3 speed tranny was so thick it would stall the engine even when I raced it. Things get strange at super low temps.

·
Registered
2018 Outback Touring 2.5i
335 Posts
Mine (2018 2.5) did the same thing Tuesday (~+10F), even after it had warmed up a couple minutes - I put in in reverse and it just stopped. Restarted and was fine. One more thing to potentially keep track of.

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Limited, Ice Silver/Black
2,237 Posts
Think it could be the lock-up torque converter not releasing?

·
Registered
22,835 Posts
Think it could be the lock-up torque converter not releasing?
My first thought was at those cold temps the cvt fluid could be really really slow to flow. All ATs especially cvts are highly dependant on fluid flow and pressure. I would give the cvt a minute or two in those extreme temps to get fluid moving and pressure built up before trying to drive it. You could in theory also damage the cvt if you run it and fluid pressure is low and not moving enough. Just the nature of the beast. And before people start complaining about cvts I just heard from three friends different states that their AT jeeps just blew major seals on the AT dumping ATF all over the place. Cold temps and cold running gear can have big failures if your not easy on them till things get warmed up.

·
Registered
2018 Outback Touring 2.5i
335 Posts
For me, I think it was just a matter of the RPMs dropping too far when it went from P to R. I suspect that if I had warmed the car more it wouldn't have died, and that if I hadn't warmed the car as much, it would have kept the RPMs higher. Easy enough to do with a manual, but trickier with a CVT (especially one with RAB).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts