Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so hopefully I'm a soon to be outback owner. I've been out looking for XT in manual. Well I found an 07.

So I somewhat like the SI drive and how it maps the throttle response and turbo for each position.

Two questions....

1. Can you get the same performance out of an XT without the SI drive without breaking the bank? How does a non SI drive XT compare to an SI drive. I can't find any to compare in my area.

2. Does the SI drive limit you on turbo upgrades later on because of possible computer issues?

I hope that makes sense..... I've tried searching on this forum with little luck on these questions.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2008 OBXT 5MT, Cobb DP, King Springs, EXEDY
41 Posts
Bump..

I'm wondering the same things.

Is SI Drive *that* beneficial for a 5MT? (Assuming I get 5MT)

Is SI Drive going to cause problems or complicate things when upgrading? I've seen people with at least Stage 2 upgrades so I doubt it.

One of the main reasons I'm asking is even though I prefer a 2007 XT, they are super hard to find and I'm going to have to travel a super long way to even look at one. But if 2005/2006 were also an option I could find a car a lot sooner.

Are there other reasons to prefer the 2007 XT Limited over the 2006 XT Limited?

EDIT: I'm asking so many questins because I cannot simply go out and test drive an XT; the only 2007-2009 I can find within a days drive has blown turbo.

Thank you!

·
Premium Member
2013 OB 3.6R (former)
2,784 Posts
Isn't intelligent drive a feature of the 5 EAT?

How do you get Si in an MT?

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,691 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
This 2007 5MT has SI Drive:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Anyway, I don't think I'm going to worry about SI Drive too much.

UNLESS there are some reasons to for sure get a 2007 model XT...

I may just going prioritize low miles over SI Drive, and to look at 2005 to 2009. Unless I get 5eat, then I probably stay 2005 to 2007.

If it reduces boost in I mode, then that could save gas. But could I not also save gas by just keeping my foot out of it?

Some people's experiences with SI in I mode seem down right dangerous. Especially stalling out a 5MT while in I mode because you are used to power and response of S mode.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,691 Posts

·
Premium Member
2013 OB 3.6R (former)
2,784 Posts
Interesting, I thought it was an AT feature.

See, it is almost impossible to figure the 2000-09 models out!

Reactions: kirkbrode

·
Registered
2008 OBXT Ltd 5MT
492 Posts
My 2008 OBXT is a 5MT and has SI-Drive. My daughter calls it the fun button! :D

·
Registered
2009 Outback 3.0R
92 Posts
Gen 3 outback has electronic throttle control, ie gas pedal. When you depress the pedal it turns a potentiometer which changed its resistance value. The ECU maps the resistance to "throttle position" and administer fuel/air accordingly. The SI modes provide different throttle maps. For example, in Intelligent mode even when you floor it the map will only output 70% throttle or so. My understanding is that for automatic transmission, Si also affects shifting points, RPMs on upshifts and downshifts.

·
Premium Member
2013 OB 3.6R (former)
2,784 Posts
Yes, on the 5 EAT Tribeca it definitely affects shifting points and rpm. It is not called SI mode there, just sportshift. The regular mode is uninspiring. Sportshift is MUCH better. However, due to its 700 lb less, my OB with the same powertrain is even better :).

I do not mind the fact that they programmed my OB for "sport" w/o any other modes.

I had an FXT for a day and found the fact that it reverts to snail mode by default annoying.

·
Premium Member
I has car.
4,621 Posts
The consensus on LGT is that SI drive is more of a novelty than anything. . . probably why it only lasted a couple of years.

That said, I have an 08 LGT 5EAT with it and I think it's pretty nifty. It also can be used to do some neat stuff with aftermarket tuning if you're into that sort of thing.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Thanks for the feedback!

I'm back to leaning more towards 2007 (XT LTD or H6). Only partially due to the simple fact that it has an AUX input for the stereo ha ha! 2007 for sure if I get 5EAT. I MIGHT expand my options to 07 to 09 if I get 5MT, unless you all give me a reason not to get 08 or 09.

In any case, it looks like SI Drive is in my future, so I no longer have to consider is it worth it or not.

Thanks for the help!

PS: "Neat stuff with aftermarket tuning", you say? I *am* into that sort of thing :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts