Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
  • Submissions are now being taken for JUNE OUTBACK OF THE MONTH
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Subaru Outback Limited w a 3.6L V6
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I absolutely love my new Outback. Great features, love the new style!
However, there's one thing that is driving me crazy...
When I open to hatch to sit inside at a soccer game or the drive in, the side mirrors won't stop illuminating where the small Subaru emblem is.. How on earth do you turn this off?

I've read the manual and called my dealer- no luck. Anyone have a solution?

·
Premium Member
'16 OB, '14 Foz, '10 LGT
74 Posts
The approach lighting on the mirrors do turn off after awhile. I've been working on my '16 OB with doors open, & hatch, and noticed interior lighting & approach lighting does shut off. It's part of the battery protection feature.

·
Registered
2021 Outback Limited XT - Ice Silver
278 Posts
Just found this thread after posting a similar question to the OP's in the Gen 5 forum.

The approach lighting on the mirrors do turn off after awhile. I've been working on my '16 OB with doors open, & hatch, and noticed interior lighting & approach lighting does shut off. It's part of the battery protection feature.
Approximately how long does this take? It seems I've had the gate open for a VERY long time and the approach lights which are programmed for 30 seconds, stay on FOOORRRREEEEVVVERRRRRRRRR.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
9 Posts
from the owners manual.

& Battery drainage prevention
function
If a door or the rear gate (Outback) is not
completely closed, the interior lights will
remain illuminated as a result. However,
several lights are automatically turned off
by the battery drainage prevention function
to prevent the battery from going
dead. The following interior lights are
affected by this function.
Item Switch position Automatically turning off
Map lights OFF*1 Approximately 20 minutes later
Dome light DOOR Approximately 20 minutes later
Ignition
switch light — Approximately 20 minutes later
Door step
lights — None*2
Cargo area
light DOOR Approximately 20 minutes later
*1: The map lights can be controlled by the
battery drainage prevention function only when
the map light switches are in the OFF position
and the door interlock switch is in the DOOR
position. For the switch positions, refer to “Map
light” F6-2.
*2: The door step lights are not affected by the
battery drainage prevention function, so the
lights do not turn off automatically. To turn off
the lights, it is necessary that each door is
completely closed.
The operational/non-operational setting of
this function can be changed by a
SUBARU dealer. Contact the nearest
SUBARU dealer if you would like to
change the setting.

·
Premium Member
'16 OB, '14 Foz, '10 LGT
74 Posts
Just found this thread after posting a similar question to the OP's in the Gen 5 forum.

Approximately how long does this take? It seems I've had the gate open for a VERY long time and the approach lights which are programmed for 30 seconds, stay on FOOORRRREEEEVVVERRRRRRRRR.

Thoughts?
Sorry, on vacation and didn't see post.

I had all interior lights shut off. Anytime I opened any door, the approach lights would come on, then shut off after 15 - 20 minutes.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
My husband is in the backcountry (Shasta) right now with our 2016 Premium Outback. He's prepping the back to sleep in, and just texted me that he can't keep the hatch open or the side-illuminating lights won't turn off at all. He said it's annoying him and other trekkers camped near by; he wants the hatch open to access stuff in the vehicle and organize his sleeping space. From this post I would surmise that we need to contact the dealer to have them adjust this feature? That's a major fail for a backcountry vehicle! I suppose it's possible he has opened/closed a door resetting the 20-minute auto off over and over again, so he's going to set a timer and not adjust anything to see if the side-lights go off. Anyone else have an idea he can try this weekend? Thanks!

·
Registered
85BRAT97SVX03Baja5mtHonda's
2,170 Posts
he can probably find the fuse and pull it for the weekend when he has the hatch open at night. Then after the trip get it to a dealer to reprogram to new settings.

·
Registered
2016 Outback Limited with Eye-Sight Technology
2 Posts
Switch the trunk lock to manual. How to do that is in the Subaru Outback Manual. Briefly: remove plastic cover over lock; reach in and move locking lever. Ta Da

·
Registered
2 Posts
Switching the trunk lock to manual will turn off the side mirror lights? That seems odd but I'll give it a try.
Did this work for you? I have a 2019 Outback 3.6 L and am currently sitting in the dealership talking to them about adjusting those settings for the same reason, open-hatch car camping...alas, the techs were able to control the dome and interior lighting, but not the "approach" or "welcome" lighting (manual says this light will stay on for 20 minutes!!! Killing my battery).

I did see another post from a user from another thread stating that he was able to pull a fuse in his fuse box to get rid of all lighting for camping. He has an older model, but I plan to try it or at least take a look at my own fuse box by the dash to see if that's something I can do myself.

Here's the other thread related to this one: Approach Light (user shawnhayes has a solid answer/troubleshooting solution)

·
Registered
12,810 Posts
Did this work for you? I have a 2019 Outback 3.6 L and am currently sitting in the dealership talking to them about adjusting those settings for the same reason, open-hatch car camping...alas, the techs were able to control the dome and interior lighting, but not the "approach" or "welcome" lighting (manual says this light will stay on for 20 minutes!!! Killing my battery).

I did see another post from a user from another thread stating that he was able to pull a fuse in his fuse box to get rid of all lighting for camping. He has an older model, but I plan to try it or at least take a look at my own fuse box by the dash to see if that's something I can do myself.

Here's the other thread related to this one: Approach Light (user shawnhayes has a solid answer/troubleshooting solution)
use a carabiner in the latch to make the rear hatch think it's shut.

·
Registered
2 Posts

This was....so....easy....how did I not think of this beforehand? Yeesh.

Thank you!!! Solutions, solutions. Coming here before I ever swing into the dealership again :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
My husband is in the backcountry (Shasta) right now with our 2016 Premium Outback. He's prepping the back to sleep in, and just texted me that he can't keep the hatch open or the side-illuminating lights won't turn off at all. He said it's annoying him and other trekkers camped near by; he wants the hatch open to access stuff in the vehicle and organize his sleeping space. From this post I would surmise that we need to contact the dealer to have them adjust this feature? That's a major fail for a backcountry vehicle! I suppose it's possible he has opened/closed a door resetting the 20-minute auto off over and over again, so he's going to set a timer and not adjust anything to see if the side-lights go off. Anyone else have an idea he can try this weekend? Thanks!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi. Just figured out one possibility. In my 2020 Outback there are lighting adjustments in the car setting section. One is Leave time set, another is approach time set and the third is the one we need to adjust called INTERIOR LIGHT set. Yes, that's the one. You can change it to OFF. Then lock the car . GO to the rear and open the hatch however you can . Mine is with the fob. The side lights do not go on but of course the two dome lights in inside ceiling must be shut then manually or they will stay on. One problem might be ..........I see that the alarm system is indicated to be on on the dash. If we move around in the car will the alarm go off? Find out!!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi. Just figured out one possibility. In my 2020 Outback there are lighting adjustments in the car setting section. One is Leave time set, another is approach time set and the third is the one we need to adjust called INTERIOR LIGHT set. Yes, that's the one. You can change it to OFF. Then lock the car . GO to the rear and open the hatch however you can . Mine is with the fob. The side lights do not go on but of course the two dome lights in inside ceiling must be shut then manually or they will stay on. One problem might be ..........I see that the alarm system is indicated to be on on the dash. If we move around in the car will the alarm go off? Find out!!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
When I open to hatch to sit inside at a soccer game or the drive in, the side mirrors won't stop illuminating where the small Subaru emblem is.. How on earth do you turn this off?

Got a great, easy fix. Will send instructions when we set up our hatch back tent and Luna mattress to make 2 "rooms" for car camping!

Got a great, easy fix. Will send instructions when we set up our hatch back tent and Luna mattress to make 2 "rooms" for car camping!

·
Read Only
2011 outback 3.6R LT. 2015 Outback 2.5 (white) eyesight, tow pakage, skid plate, moon roof
475 Posts

I put a carabiner in the lock tp trick it when camping,

·
Premium Member
2022 Subaru Outback Wilderness
192 Posts

FYI..

I just tried this with the 2022 Wilderness Edition. In order to remove the carabiner you will have to almost close the hatch all the way and then use the remote to unlock.

I thought I was going to have to cut the carabiner out for a minute there!

Reactions: walker
1 - 20 of 22 Posts