Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2002 subaru outback limited 2" lift
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been driving my sisters BMW for a little while, while I've been building a lift kit for my outback, and I've realized that her side mirrors tilt down while the car is put in reverse.
I was wanting to know if this option would possibly be available for my 2002 outback limited?
I have a cord to hookup the ECU to my laptop and I have freeSSM, so I was also wondering if I could like program the mirrors to do this some how? and/or if there is anything cool I can program (with a different laptop program of course) into my subie to get a little bit of extra features out of it?

·
Registered
2010 2.5 CVT Limited
1,442 Posts
Off the top of my head, I can think of a way to cobble together a circuit with a relay triggered off the reverse lights to drive the mirror downward. What I don't readily have a solution for is how to stop driving it down and how to drive it back up to where when the gear selector goes out of R.

Not to say it's not possible, it would just take more than a crowbar solution.

·
Registered
2005 3.0R
227 Posts
In my '05, when the rear wiper is set on intermittent it switches to constant when shifted into reverse! By design, or electrical glitch? Who cares?!?

I think that's about as close as you're gonna get on these old dogs... ;-)

·
Registered
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2011 WRX, 2015 Legacy 3.6r loaded and a 2016 Camaro 2SS.
124 Posts
My 2016 Camaro mirrors both tilt down when in reverse. Its a setting that can be turned on or off. Would be a complex circuit to tie into the tranny.

·
Registered
Onyx, 2008 LL Bean 3.0R and 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
4,112 Posts
Just get in the habit of using the mirror control switch on the arm rest when you put it into reverse. Add it to the routine. Eventually, the mirror motor or the switch will break, and after replacing them you won't want the feature any more. :)

·
Registered
2002 subaru outback limited 2" lift
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
haha ok I didn't think so, thanks guys, and is there anything I can program with my laptop into my subaru?

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
haha ok I didn't think so, thanks guys, and is there anything I can program with my laptop into my subaru?
Nearly every aspect of engine management and transmission control is available to edit for the skilled tuner/hacker.

Not much else though. The Subaru body-integrated unit (BIU) is the computer that handles all the other gizmos- lighting, small actuators etc. That module is still a black box- no public info on how to get in, whether it can be altered etc. Subaru has a vested interest in keeping it this way, since the BIU also handles the vehicle security system and provides odometer integrity.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts