Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got some side molding and the instruction suck! Are they that hard to put on? Anyone got some tips or vid maybe.....?

·
Registered
2013 3.6R SAP BBP Outback
717 Posts
That's a good thread. The instructions may seem daunting, but they are very linear. Just take it one step at a time and it will go quickly and smoothly. For me the first side took about a half hour and the second side about 15 minutes. The template works very well and when taped on, gets the moldings in just the right place.

·
Registered
2015 OB Limited 2.5i PZEV MR, Keyless Access & Push-Button Start, Nav, Eyesight - Tungsten Metallic
1,313 Posts
It would certainly help if you could raise the OB on a lift so the bottom of the doors were at eye level when installing the side molding. Most people wouldn’t have access to a lift but I found I could use a set of old car ramps. I put both ramps on the same side I was installing the molding on - this tilted that side up - not as good as eye level but better than at ground level. The OB has enough ground clearance so a ramp would fit in front of the rear wheel as well as the front.

·
Registered
'11 outback 2.5i premium '12 impreza sport limited
3,822 Posts
the instructions make it look much harder than it actually is. i have torn mine off several times and while they're pretty easy to put back on, i decided to drill holes in them and bolt them to the fenders. just be careful not to lose any of the fasteners, i dont know where to get replacements. oops, wrong thread

·
Registered
2012 OUTBACK 2.5 LIMITED SILVER ICE Metallic, moon and nav free
1,220 Posts
Looks dorky and accentuates the height with them colored body color.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got them on looks great and wasn't that hard I just had to get some tools now got them. molding and the rally armor flaps look great together. Now wheels on a white outback. size kind any recommendation would help.

Thanks for all the help guys Jared P.

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT, 2013 Outback Lim SAP 270K, 2003 Outback Lim MT 2.5L, 241K..
2,182 Posts
I am so happy to see this - I may get these in the near future and would LOVE to not pay the labor. What sort of tools does one need?
I already see I have to get that prying tool shown on the instructions to the seat back protectors. No idea what its called but hopefully can find one at a local store.

·
Registered
2011 OB 2.5 Limited
188 Posts
I am so happy to see this - I may get these in the near future and would LOVE to not pay the labor. What sort of tools does one need?
I already see I have to get that prying tool shown on the instructions to the seat back protectors. No idea what its called but hopefully can find one at a local store.
Prying tool?

I installed the seat back protectors with a ruler, masking tape and a phillips screwdriver.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Prying tool?

I installed the seat back protectors with a ruler, masking tape and a phillips screwdriver.
Its the tool shown in the instructions - I dont know. I havent tried to install yet. Maybe its not so necessary.

·
Registered
2013 Outback - 3.6R Limited, EyeSight/Nav/MoonRoof/Kitchen Sink.
683 Posts
Seems like there's 2 threads going on here.

There's the body side molding that attaches to the doors. You need some tape to hold the instructions/templates to the door.

Then there's the wheel well molding. For that you'll need a phillips and straight screw driver. A drill, a drill stop, and a wax pencil.

·
Registered
2011 OB 2.5 Limited
188 Posts
Its the tool shown in the instructions - I dont know. I havent tried to install yet. Maybe its not so necessary.
I only used the masking tape to mark the places where the RSBP should go, after measuring down from the top of the seat back.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I didn't have any tools at all so I got a little phillips and a drill from lowe's here in town. A friend and I got them on in about 1 hr 20mins I want to say was quick once you get one on and see how it all goes on. I'll post pic as soon as I can. All my friends think I am weird for wanting to add stuff to an outback like this. They say just use it as is why are you getting all this stuff.

·
Registered
2011 OB 2.5 Limited
188 Posts
I didn't have any tools at all so I got a little phillips and a drill from lowe's here in town. A friend and I got them on in about 1 hr 20mins I want to say was quick once you get one on and see how it all goes on. I'll post pic as soon as I can. All my friends think I am weird for wanting to add stuff to an outback like this. They say just use it as is why are you getting all this stuff.
Oh yeah, I used an awl too, to punch the holes

·
Registered
2,182 Posts

I have found the things most people I know have called me "weird" for - and there have been MANY - tend to be the things that I am most proud of, not to mention the things that later they are complimenting me on. ;)

Whats wrong with a little customizing it - a little individuality? making it YOURS!

Does anyone buy a house and just "use it as is"?

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Prying tool?

Now I know why you asked this question. Finally picked up the CORRECT rear seat protectors - they had given me the ones for the Impreza by accident.
The Impreza instructions require a prying tool, the Outback instructions dont.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 3.6R Limited w/SAP
177 Posts
Prying tool?

Ha, I just eyeballed it and stabbed a screwdriver through the holes lol.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Ha, I just eyeballed it and stabbed a screwdriver through the holes lol.
The impreza's attach to some points that already exists under the carpert - you have to lift it up. I dont see anything like that in these Outback instructions. I assumed it was the same and couldnt figure out how I was going to get the carpet up in the outback - these just look like you pick a point and screw in?

·
Registered
2013 Outback 3.6R Limited w/SAP
177 Posts
Line them up where you want them, use a awl (phillips head screw driver is more common) to stab a hole in the carpet. Then you take the little fasteners and screw them into the carpet where you punctured the hole.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Wow this thread is confusing. Hopefully the original poster isn't drilling holes to put on the body side molding... or attaching seat back protectors to his wheel well arches :D

1 - 20 of 26 Posts