Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Outback Limited 2.5i
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my 2018 last week and ran into an issue this weekend while camping/sleeping in the Outback.

It was warm out so I wanted to sleep with all four door windows down and the hatch open to take advantage of any breeze. Problem was, when I opened the hatchback, the side view mirror LED lights (the little logo lights in the upper outer corner of each mirror) would go on and light up half the campsite. They didn't extinguish after about five minutes of waiting, so I figured they weren't going to and closed the hatch. During the day, I took a nap and didn't have this problem (I'm guessing there is some sort of day/night sensor on the vehicle).

Question: Is there any way to sleep with the hatch open at night without those lights staying on? Or do they go off automatically at some point on their own?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

·
Premium Member
Twilight Blue 2015 3.6R with Eyesight
4,996 Posts
Maybe you could find the switch that tells the car when the hatch is closed and tape it down?
With these new cars I don't know if they even have simple mechanical switches anymore... LOL!

Reactions: Jet Peddler

·
Registered
191 Posts
I recently backed up to a lake and wanted to sit on the tailgate and noticed they were constantly on during the day. I found that annoying and it wasn't even at night. They stayed on the whole time. I doubt they would wear the battery down, being small LED lights. The easiest option if the problem is lighting up a campsite at night might be to put a piece of tape over the lights or throw a bag over the mirror to cover it.

·
Registered
2018 3.6R limited Outback and Legacy
43 Posts
Just got my 2018 last week and ran into an issue this weekend while camping/sleeping in the Outback.

It was warm out so I wanted to sleep with all four door windows down and the hatch open to take advantage of any breeze. Problem was, when I opened the hatchback, the side view mirror LED lights (the little logo lights in the upper outer corner of each mirror) would go on and light up half the campsite. They didn't extinguish after about five minutes of waiting, so I figured they weren't going to and closed the hatch. During the day, I took a nap and didn't have this problem (I'm guessing there is some sort of day/night sensor on the vehicle).

Question: Is there any way to sleep with the hatch open at night without those lights staying on? Or do they go off automatically at some point on their own?

A possible solution to this (possible as i do not have these mirrors and cant test it) open hatch normally, then once fully open look for lock on hatch and manually (with you finger) moving the lock to the lock position, it will simulate the shutting of the hatch and the car thinks the hatch is closed. I have done this when transporting large items that prevented me from closing the hatch and without closing the hatch the car beeps annoyingly the while you are driving with the hatch open. Without this little solution it would have really sucked driving for 30 minutes with beeping. So this may work for you as the car does think its closed when you get this done right.

Also to have the hatch function normally again, you must manually push the hatch down to almost closed (it wont unlock and close) and the push the button on the hatch on outside and it will then reset itself and open up, to which you can then close it normally

·
Registered
2017 Outback Limited 2.5, Twilight Blue/Ivory, Eyesight. Also 1995 BMW 525i with 240,000 miles
2,278 Posts
Somewhat related. I believe the hatch up will run the battery down. Not sure. The hatch motor is activated and draws current.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
4,140 Posts
Somewhat related. I believe the hatch up will run the battery down. Not sure. The hatch motor is activated and draws current.
I've seen this mentioned several times but don't know if it has been confirmed but it should be checked. Maybe putting the latch in the closed position as someone mentioned above would also eliminate this issue.

·
Registered
5,499 Posts
Mine follow the behavior of the interior lights. After 20 minutes with the hatch open (other doors closed) the interior lights shut off, and with them the approach lights on the side mirrors. The interior lights nor the mirror lights come on if I approach the car at that point... closing the rear gate, the lights don’t come on either, unless I open the gate again once it’s closed. The power save function is a 20 minute time out with the rear hatch open... section 2-8 in the owners manual (also says it won’t function if the ignition switch is set to ACC with the push button, or if the key is left in the ignition)

Now, this is with the fob outside the car the whole time. I have not tested it with the fob sitting in the car. Shouldn’t be different though.

·
Registered
2017 Outback, 2.5L, Auto; 2018 Forester, 2.5L, Auto (for Mama); 2005 Baja, 2.5 Turbo, Manual
667 Posts
Also, try turning the headlight switch from Auto to Off.

·
Registered
'15 Outback 2.5i Premium
2,489 Posts

Question: Is there any way to sleep with the hatch open at night without those lights staying on?
Indeed there is: https://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/138-gen-5-2015-2019/394490-battery-dies-hatch-open-position-freezing-rain-3.html#post4578402

The post from Imagn below is close, but you have to push the latch to the first click, then keep pressing until it finishes closing or the magic don't work.

A possible solution to this (possible as i do not have these mirrors and cant test it) open hatch normally, then once fully open look for lock on hatch and manually (with you finger) moving the lock to the lock position, it will simulate the shutting of the hatch and the car thinks the hatch is closed.

Also to have the hatch function normally again, you must manually push the hatch down to almost closed (it wont unlock and close) and the push the button on the hatch on outside and it will then reset itself and open up, to which you can then close it normally
Manually closing the latch will prevent the open hatch from killing the battery, but it's not the motor that's the culprit - it's the car's computer (and incandescent interior lights if they're on). As long as any door, including the hatch, is open the computer will not go into its sleep state, and uses a surprising amount of power doing computer-y things. Closing the latch tells the computer the hatch is closed, even though it's not.

I've seen this mentioned several times but don't know if it has been confirmed but it should be checked. Maybe putting the latch in the closed position as someone mentioned above would also eliminate this issue.
It does.

·
Registered
2018 Outback Limited 2.5i
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Great answers everyone.

I'm going to sort things out over the next couple of days following your suggestions.

Thanks!

·
Registered
19 2.5i OB LTD w/SSD Strt Twr Brc + OEM 19mm RSB
1,353 Posts
Mine follow the behavior of the interior lights. After 20 minutes with the hatch open (other doors closed) the interior lights shut off, and with them the approach lights on the side mirrors.
This is going to sound like a silly question, but, is the behavior of the interior lights and the lights on the mirrors different if the overhead switch is not in the door position, but rather off?

·
Registered
2017 Outback 3.6R Limited
429 Posts
This is going to sound like a silly question, but, is the behavior of the interior lights and the lights on the mirrors different if the overhead switch is not in the door position, but rather off?
On my 2017 Limited the behavior of the lights in the side view mirrors did not change with the overhead switch position. (The behavior of the interior lights changed, as that's the function of the switch.)

·
Registered
19 2.5i OB LTD w/SSD Strt Twr Brc + OEM 19mm RSB
1,353 Posts
Ok. Maybe they could add a selectable option via Iset to make it configurable. I wonder if that were possible without pulling the assembly above the steering wheel, which I think was required for the update to fuel level remaining.

·
Registered
2 Posts

I have the same problem with my 2015. There is no sensor switch that I can find to disengage lights both on dashboard consul and side rear view mirrors. I asked the technicians at the local Subaru dealership and they had no answer for me either.
This is a real problem. I bought a tent that sleeves over the rear hatch and I want to keep it open for ventilation and access. I don't want the battery draining and lights in a dark camping area is terrible and obtrusive.
VERY BIG DESIGN FLAW.
I was thinking the only way would be to disconnect the battery but that messes with electronics and things have to be reset. I don't want to have to do this every time I'm out. I bought the Subaru Outback specifically for its functionality & comfort in the outdoors (I live in the Colorado Rockies) and this is really a problem.
Help someone, anyone!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts