Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Outback Touring 3.6R
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have these and care to comment on how functional they are? I'd also like to hear from anyone that has the ones from Weathertech, which look like they're a bit smaller.

One disadvantage that I just thought of is that on a temperate day when I have the driver's window down, I often rest my left elbow on the door edge and then have my hand gripping the upper window frame. I would guess that I couldn't do this if I had those deflectors installed?

(Yeah, I know I shouldn't drive with one hand, but then I drove our dragster 200mph with one hand on the wheel, so...). :grin2:

·
Registered
193 Posts
I bought these from dealer then found they were not long enough to fit properly over the existing trim. Returned them before removing tape to install.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5 Limited
143 Posts
I bought the weathertech ones and really like them. You can kind of see them on my car in this pic.

If I remember right, the Subaru dont mount in the window channel like the weathertech ones do. To me its more secure to mount them that way.

Attachments

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can't imagine you had to steer the dragster very much.
LOL, like when your car with a 180" wheelbase starts getting sideways and you're trying to straighten it out but your front wheels are off the ground?

Or trying to hang on in a roadster with the wheelbase of an Impreza and a 1500hp blown hemi out in front of you?

But sometimes it is all worth it in the end!

·
Registered
2014 3.6R Limited
1,065 Posts
On my 2014 the OEM are intrack and with tape. I bought them on ebay for around $150. Very well satisfied with mine!

·
Registered
2016 OB 3.6R WGM
151 Posts
I have the Weathertech on my Pathfinder and the OEM on the Subaru. So I have over 12 years on the Weathertech units in my R51 and they have given me no reason to complain with exception to the initial acclimation period. Some of my friends weren't so lucky and could not make the fit work on their vehicles due to issues with the window channel and clearance. Personally I still don't like the sound the windows motors make during that last 1/4" with the in channels. That being said they beat the snot out of the OEM stick-overs one's I had with my Jeep ZJ which my ole pibble would break popping her snoot out the window. Full disclosure our GSD had no problem popping the Weathertech out of her old Impreza, but we could find it on the side of the road and pop it back in (tough little suckers) and keep on a going.
Although the Subaru OEM units are not the in-channel style guards, the way the units are built, they actually come off as slicker than the in-channel units. The top of the rain-guard is the same chrome trim as where it is adhered to giving it the appearance of an in-channel but instead of ending at the window and leaving a gap between the windows on the B pillar. On the Subaru's the front and rear door units the butt together making the appearance of one smooth line. As far as dog proof, our Shepherd has gotten a lot more mellow with the years so the Subie has been spared that sort of abuse.

·
Registered
2010 2.5 CVT Limited
1,513 Posts
Related question:
Without the deflectors, water from above the window drips straight into the car with the window down. I notice this mostly when turning right and the water runs off the roof straight in through the open driver's window.
Do the deflectors help prevent this any?
thanks.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5 Limited
143 Posts
Related question:
Without the deflectors, water from above the window drips straight into the car with the window down. I notice this mostly when turning right and the water runs off the roof straight in through the open driver's window.
Do the deflectors help prevent this any?
thanks.
Yes, absolutely!

·
Registered
2016 Outback 3.6R Limited
175 Posts
Sorry, I should have been more specific with my question.
I meant to ask if they deflect runoff with the window rolled all the way down.

thanks.
...Not so much when all the way down... The sweet spot is slightly higher than half way. (just in case there is a slight breeze)

Cheers!

·
Registered
2018 3.6R Limited, ES, HK, hitch, wheel arch moldings, Glasscoat.
79 Posts
Thanks for the info. I've been considering the WeatherTechs, because I want a light tint.

Do they reduce wind buffeting at speed? I want that! :D

Thanks

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Personally I still don't like the sound the windows motors make during that last 1/4" with the in channels.
If there's a bit of a "tight fit" with the Weathertechs, might that interfere with the pinch protection and auto up/down functionality? I assume that the pinch protection sensor is what stops the window when in auto-up mode. Your comment makes me a bit wary of the extra load on the motors too.

·
Vendor
231 Posts
If there's a bit of a "tight fit" with the Weathertechs, might that interfere with the pinch protection and auto up/down functionality? I assume that the pinch protection sensor is what stops the window when in auto-up mode. Your comment makes me a bit wary of the extra load on the motors too.
Hi there. The deflector will really influence work of the auto up and down function. Yet, Weathertech notes that in theirt installation instructions and even explains, how to relearn the system, so that it could work with the deflector:

Here is the link to the full installation instruction.
If you do not want that in-channel installation, you can always go with one of those deflectors that attach with the 3M tape. You can review the deflectors available for the 2016 Outback here by foolowing the link.

Attachments

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5i Premium, Eyesight, Lapis Blue Pearl. 2015 Forester 2.5i Limited, Satin White Pearl
12 Posts
I bought Weathertech’s for my 17 OB. I installed in the drivers door and absolutely did not like the way they fit nor the interference with the window. I returned them, got the OEM’s and have been satisfied since.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 Subaru Outback Touring 2.5
50 Posts
I had weatertech on my last Hyndai. Was not happy with them. Lost one on the highway. The remaining ones were a little on the thin side and bulged a little up in the hot summer days and stayed that way. The OEM on the OB are much better. But I did not try Weatertech for OB. The OEM for OB were installed when I bought the car. Very solid, good looking and stay close to the windows. They don't create wind noise.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts