Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Earlier this weekend, after installing my Rally Armor UR mudflaps, I was crawling around under the OB spraying some key bolts down with penetrating lube (rear diff, transmission) in prep for some fluid changes I plan to do this week.

While on my back, I spent some time looking at the exhaust. I had been set on the Nameless system (with mufflers) - but after seeing the size of the single pipe - I think the duals are overkill. With no bumper cutouts, there is no aesthetic reason to keep two exits either.

I got to thinking - did some research and found the Borla ProXS to have a reportedly great flow number with low noise. I'm a past Borla user, having used the XR1 Sportsman on my old Durango. Searched YouTube - but no luck finding modern Subarus with the Borla ProXS. Plenty of muscle cars though ;)

Over a cup of joe in the morning, I read this tidbit below as well -
I think the dual mufflers is for looks and doesn't really affect performance. Better yet, get rid of both mufflers and replace with a single lightweight unit.
Was wondering if anyone had any pictures of a single exit on the OB?

Based on eyeball measurements and ease of routing, hacking off the Y-split by the rear diff and running it out the driver's side appears to be the cleanest option. Based on space available, I'm thinking the 14" body length muffler, a clean turn-down topped off by a nice polished tip (similar to Nameless's design).

Borla ProXS muffler 40357 Borla ProXS Mufflers 40357 - SummitRacing.com
Borla ProXS exhaust tip 20153 Borla ProXS Exhaust Tips 20153 - SummitRacing.com

Then again, I wonder if Nameless will sell me just the driver's side. After looking at their picture - it appears their pipe is roughly the same size as the OEM pipe before the Y-split. All a shop would have to do is mate the two pipes.

I've attached a picture of what I'm thinking.

Attachments

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ok, no takers. No problem.

Question 2: is it detrimental to interior peace and sanity (i.e. loud and droning) to remove the large resonator from the exhaust (sits just in front of the rear axle)?

Thinking a longer Borla in place of the resonator, then a nice mandrel bent routing out the driver side rear.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Earlier this weekend, after installing my Rally Armor UR mudflaps, I was crawling around under the OB spraying some key bolts down with penetrating lube (rear diff, transmission) in prep for some fluid changes I plan to do this week.

While on my back, I spent some time looking at the exhaust. I had been set on the Nameless system (with mufflers) - but after seeing the size of the single pipe - I think the duals are overkill. With no bumper cutouts, there is no aesthetic reason to keep two exits either.

I got to thinking - did some research and found the Borla ProXS to have a reportedly great flow number with low noise. I'm a past Borla user, having used the XR1 Sportsman on my old Durango. Searched YouTube - but no luck finding modern Subarus with the Borla ProXS. Plenty of muscle cars though ;)

Based on eyeball measurements and ease of routing, hacking off the Y-split by the rear diff and running it out the driver's side appears to be the cleanest option. Based on space available, I'm thinking the 14" body length muffler, a clean turn-down topped off by a nice polished tip (similar to Nameless's design).

Then again, I wonder if Nameless will sell me just the driver's side. After looking at their picture - it appears their pipe is roughly the same size as the OEM pipe before the Y-split. All a shop would have to do is mate the two pipes.

Found a picture of what I was thinking on the Tech Works site (though I think this is an Impreza).

·
Registered
391 Posts
It's ashame no one is chiming in here on this one. I have a 2011 Subaru outback and am looking for an upgrade. I definitely love the boxer engine gurgle sound and would also like to know what would be the best one. I am not lookin to go too crazy, just enough to get that nice sound.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not an issue.

I've got some more research to do, but there are two good custom exhaust shops in town based on my research. I'll need to go visit them and talk with the pros there. I also need to call Nameless to see if they'd sell me just the driver side piece. Their collective answers will help narrow down what I want to do.

The biggest driving factor to the muffler choice (Borla or Nameless) will be the impact of removing the large resonator in front of the rear axle. If that ramps up the volume or induces resonance, I'll definitely go with the Borla.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
391 Posts
Kinda like the first two videos (last one is two loud (especially in the car).

I don't know how a 4th gen outback would be im similarity to 2nd or 3rd gen outback in terms of exhaust note

Just love the boxer gurgle sound!

·
Registered
45 Posts

YESSS!!! This is what Ive had in mind for about a month! I just now searched though. I wish I would have been apart of this convo for a while. Better late then never. Would you need to weld at all, or is this a custom shop job? Id love to DIY this b****, but dont wanna mess it up either. Nevertheless, you can expect this setup on M'lady by the end of July!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
On our exhaust, definitely welding required for a clean setup. I actually had my local custom exhaust shop quote this idea with flanges (forward of the rear diff so I can drop the exhaust easily) and Magnaflow single muffler for $245. Just haven't followed through yet, other irons in the fire.

·
Registered
662 Posts

Yup, I was thinking about this too.

Although I would want to tip that is still hidden behind/under the rear bumper, like how it looks from the factory. I'd be down to buy a custom piece if another member decides to have them produced at a shop somewhere.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just ordered Borla ProXS muffler w/ Gibson slash tip (3" exit)

I think it will look proper and give it a little grumble. Not trying to get crazy though.
I like that tip, Gibson tips had not crossed my radar, though I did look at them a lot when I had my Dodge trucks.

Looks like you'll complete this before I do so I'm really interested in your results.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Yup, I was thinking about this too.

Although I would want to tip that is still hidden behind/under the rear bumper, like how it looks from the factory. I'd be down to buy a custom piece if another member decides to have them produced at a shop somewhere.
I wanna keep my tip tucked under the bumper too. I think that Gibson will do well, I just need to find a dude who will weld it for cheap cheap or barter with me somehow...:17:

The tip came in today, but the muffler is still en route. Once it arrives, I'll slap that tip on and put some pics up.:cool:

·
Registered
662 Posts
I wanna keep my tip tucked under the bumper too. I think that Gibson will do well, I just need to find a dude who will weld it for cheap cheap or barter with me somehow...:17:

The tip came in today, but the muffler is still en route. Once it arrives, I'll slap that tip on and put some pics up.:cool:
Yes, I'll be eagerly awaiting. I already contacting a shop to get a quote.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Ok, got it done this morning. It sounds exactly like I wanted!! Low rumble, not the least bit obnoxious. Here are some before and afters.

Before^^

After^^^

Again, I cant be happier. Sounds perfect to me.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Nice! Thats the exact look I want as well. Do you have more pics towards the cat? I'd like to see how the whole set up was done. How much did it run you? Can you post a video as well?

Finally, what was the PN of the muffler? Borla has a few listed under ProXS.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Nice! Thats the exact look I want as well. Do you have more pics towards the cat? I'd like to see how the whole set up was done. How much did it run you? Can you post a video as well?

Finally, what was the PN of the muffler? Borla has a few listed under ProXS.

Here are some closer shots. Quite honestly, I am not 100% satisfied with the welds (a little sloppy), but the are solid, and it sounds good, so Im keeping my mouth shut. I paid the guy $110. He had to chop that exhaust tip and a bit of the muffler exit to make it fit so tightly under the bumper, and fab up a pipe to connect it. I really wanted to spend around $75, but I didnt wanna drive all over town to save a few bucks.

The model # of the muffler was: 40357

2005 Subaru Outback convert from duel exit to single exit Borla Pro XS Gibson tip - YouTube

·
Registered
45 Posts
Oh yeah, I forgot to say that I DIY'd an air intake a few weeks back, so that may have a small effect on the sound of the system, although I did not hear a difference (before the muffler) until I was at about 3500-4000 RPM. Regardless, I am happy with it :D!

Here are some pics of the intake...Its a $15 filter for a ford explorer and plumbing pieces from home depot...and plenty of zip ties, ha.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
About this Discussion
24 Replies
7 Participants
M-JOHN
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing