Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

owners manual says that the 2020 OB’s can do Siri eyes free by holding the voice button down while connected through Bluetooth. For the life of me, it does not work. Only way to pull up Siri is when it’s connected via CarPlay. Otherwise it only uses Subaru’s voice assistant. Anyone else experiencing this? Or have been able to get it to work?
Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Outback Premium
339 Posts
I believe a short press is Subaru whereas a long press and hold activates Siri. Text messages don't work through Subaru's system via Bluetooth, but they do work when plugged in through CarPlay. As an alternative when using Bluetooth, just mute the radio and say, "Hey Siri" and activate that way. I'd go check on our car right now but it's on vacation at the body shop for a couple weeks for a deer strike. Sadness.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah I know that it’s a long press to activate Siri. But it only will do it when plugged into CarPlay. If my phone is in my pocket I can’t activate hey Siri. Just kind of a bummer, especially since it’s a feature that says it’s available? Hope you get your car ASAP! Sorry about the deer :(

·
Registered
459 Posts
Yes, and the manual says it should work when only connected via Bluetooth! I've reported it to Subaru as have others.

if you search the forum you can find the manual reference.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Touring XT, Crystal White Pearl
68 Posts
so, with my non-CarPlay 2017 Forester and Crosstreks, short press is the Subaru voice control, and long press brings up Siri.

I swear when I first got my Outback, the long press worked for Siri as well, but I'm experiencing the same thing as you in that long press no longer does anything unless CarPlay is active.

I wonder if being connected via Bluetooth with a phone that is set up to do CarPlay in this car is disabling Siri outside of CarPlay? I'll have to test this with my wife's phone. If that's the case, it's pretty annoying.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT
1,884 Posts
Is your Siri configured to be allowed to be used from the lock screen?

Settings > Touch ID & passcode > (enter code) scroll to bottom and you will see "allow access when locked" and ensure Siri is turned on.

Otherwise you will first need to unlock the phone before using the steering wheel button to activate Siri.

·
Registered
459 Posts
No that’s not the issue. ( I just reconfirmed that.) It just has never worked with the long press via Bluetooth. Also it’s better to check the settings under Siri prefs rather than looking at the Touch ID prefs as it shows a more complete set of options for controlling Siri (Including the one you mentioned.)

This was discussed for awhile back. The Oct timeframe if I remember correctly. No one has ever reported it working outside of using it with CarPlay.

·
Registered
459 Posts
This is the thread with the discussion in the past (about 5 months ago.)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Is your Siri configured to be allowed to be used from the lock screen?

Settings > Touch ID & passcode > (enter code) scroll to bottom and you will see "allow access when locked" and ensure Siri is turned on.

Otherwise you will first need to unlock the phone before using the steering wheel button to activate Siri.
Doing what you said, Does that work for you? I have everything setup correctly and no matter what it doesn’t work. Sounds like a software bug otherwise. Or a feature that isn’t an actual feature.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts