Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Premium, CVT.
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
85BRAT97SVX03Baja5mtHonda's
2,170 Posts
This needs to be seen by SOA.
Someone at SOA, needs to implement a safety feature of EYESIGHT, that can be remotely launched to stall/lock the vehicle brakes.....Like a reverse on-star.
That vehicle could have been disabled imediately with such feature.

also something like that makes sense for all police to have available, much easier than stop sticks, etc, and high speed chases would end....

·
Registered
41 Posts
Someone at SOA, needs to implement a safety feature of EYESIGHT, that can be remotely launched to stall/lock the vehicle brakes.....
And by "safety feature" you actually mean "unsafety feature."

What happens if it malfunctions? What happens if human error causes the signal to be sent to the wrong vehicle? What happens if hackers access SOA's systems? Who has liability if this gets someone killed?

You're driving down the freeway at 70 MpH and your brakes are applied without warning. That's a great way to get people killed, and it would. I wouldn't buy a vehicle with this kind of dangerous kill switch in it.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,843 Posts
Someone at SOA, needs to implement a safety feature of EYESIGHT, that can be remotely launched to stall/lock the vehicle brakes.....Like a reverse on-star.

also something like that makes sense for all police to have available, much easier than stop sticks, etc, and high speed chases would end....
I thinky you mean "star link",

and remember the Wired magazine expose of how they could hack a Jeep....and kill the occupants.. ..(yeah this was 2014/15,....like onstar killing the ignition on a car in 2002, but cooler).

·
Registered
'15 Outback 2.5i Premium
2,589 Posts

If this ever happened, another reason not to want Eyesight.

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Premium, CVT.
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
And after seeing it better on Youtube, the car is a Forester. Please don't ban me.

My last car was a GM with OnStar that I did not subscribe to. Not really concerned about evading the law or hackers messing with my car, but I unplugged the Onstar box from power, data, phone and GPS anyway.

·
Super Moderator
2016 3.6 Limited with ES
2,910 Posts
Well at least he knew the Subie was the gateway to adventure.

·
Registered
2010 2.5 CVT Limited
1,798 Posts
There was no 6 hour car chase. It was 3 hours.
Pursuit suspect falls to his death at Port of LA after chase, standoff - Story | KTTV
"Officers with the Los Angeles Police Department's Wilshire Division first chased the white Subaru SUV about 3:10 p.m., but lost sight of it..... The suspect, wearing a Kobe Bryant jersey, drove through the terminal area before bailing out of the still-rolling vehicle around 6:15 p.m."

It is unfortunate the guy died. Probably had mental health issues, maybe drug abuse problems.
I wonder if the stealership owned the Sube or if it was a customer's.

·
Registered
Outback Touring 18
21 Posts
If SOA implement a kill switch to your car, will you still buy it? It may seems great but it is quite dangerous if you are stopped suddenly remotely

·
Registered
2001 Subaru Outback Wagon 3.0 VDC
60 Posts
EYESIGHT - - brought to you by Big Brother and SKYNET. I wouldn't purchase a vehicle that could be disabled remotely. I think this would set a bad precident. What if the government thought I was a threat for X reason and decided to prevent me from having transportation? Seems like an invasion of privacy and has high potential for abuse if you ask me. Of course this is all doomsday, mark of the beast kind of irrational fear on my part I'm sure. "Don't take the mark don't get to drive!" Try to drive and we'll GPS locate you and immobilize your vehicle.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts