Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m going to be changing out my head gaskets soon and I’m doing my research. I’m considering putting in Six Star SOHC Head gaskets.
My 2 questions are:

Can I get away with not getting the head surfaces machined?

will I need to put any lubricant or anything between the new gaskets and the head and block?

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
11,915 Posts
I think the safe bet is to machine them.

But if they're just being replaced as preventative maintenance you could get away with not doing it.

I know if the head gaskets go there is a bigger chance that the heads are warped.

I've seen people put them back on and end up with phantom coolant loss due to the surface not being flat.

It's a good idea to lube the head bolts but I don't think anything on the surface or the gaskets is necessary and probably even could cause problems.

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
15,150 Posts
My experience has been that when the HGs are leaking oil, cleaning the heads is good. When a HG has a coolant breach, it's been 50/50 so far over the years.

Always measure the head surfaces with a good straight edge and feeler gauge checking multiple lines across the surface.

And make sure that you get ALL the gasket material off the deck and head surface prior to reassembly.

Same goes for every gasket mating surface on the heads; intake and exhaust.

Otherwise you'll be taking it apart again in short time.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts