Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Onyx XT
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had skid plates on my old Chevy Tracker ZR2, and boy did they come in handy over rough terrain. I would like to get similar protection for my new 2020 Onyx. I've looked at options such as LP, Primitive, etc, but I'd like to hear from someone about their best advice on what I should get. Is one enough? Oil pan? Tranny? Note: I'll be putting on a 2" lift soon, and I'd love it if the skid plate(s) didn't reduce too much of the lift......I'm sure it'll be some sort of trade-off, as it usually is.

·
Registered
2020 Onyx XT
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds great. I've sort of decided not to do the lift at this point.......I'll start with getting the Falken's and skid plates. And bumper guard? Any advice on which skid plates to get? Lots of options on LP's site.....I don't want to get stuff I don't need, but I don't want to skimp on underbody protection.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sounds like a good plan. i’ll ask the advice of the distributor here in Santa Monica, CA. For the skid plates, will likely get both the engine and cvt protection. This is based on my adventure motorcycle experience where I have take a lot of rocks being thrown up while off road. i have been riding and have seen someone take a buried rock at low speed and have it crack their engine case. We did temporary fix on the trail, but turned out to be an $$$ repair for them. Might be overkill but an added piece of insurance for me (and I won’t be doing crazy stuff). For the bumper I like the smaller version as it will protect the bottom and attack angle. On my bikes I have a full protection, but I drop those a lot and it is added protection. I keep going Back and forth on the lift kit — is 8.7 enough for what I’ll be doing? Probably. It is the most expensive part installed. If I do everything at once I bring down the installation $$. I don’t yet have a tow kit, so am looking at that as well. Lot’s of research (part of the fun).

·
Registered
2020 Outback 2.5 Premium
19 Posts
I had skid plates on my old Chevy Tracker ZR2, and boy did they come in handy over rough terrain. I would like to get similar protection for my new 2020 Onyx. I've looked at options such as LP, Primitive, etc, but I'd like to hear from someone about their best advice on what I should get. Is one enough? Oil pan? Tranny? Note: I'll be putting on a 2" lift soon, and I'd love it if the skid plate(s) didn't reduce too much of the lift......I'm sure it'll be some sort of trade-off, as it usually is.
Am not sure if it is the heavy duty affair you desire but Subaru offers two 'Engine Under Guard" parts for the 2020 models, Part number E515SAN010 is a steel plate which the accessory book lists for non-turbo models, and Part number E515SAN000 which is aluminum for Turbo models. I just received the steel version today but do not yet have it installed but it is heavy. There was some discussion on another topic as to whether or not the steel version would fit either the Turbo or Non-Turbo engine so maybe you could search that. I also ordered the steel 'Differential Under Guard-Rear, part number E515EFL201 for my Non-Turbo model and again do not yet have it installed but it seems made out same material as the engine under guard, both appear to be 3/16th thick.

·
Registered
2020 Outback XT Limited-Ice Silver
4 Posts
I am waiting on the Aluminum engine guard and the steel differential guard from Subaru Online Parts. My only complaint is that I ordered a whole bunch of other Subaru accessories, and I Subaru Online Parts will not ship until all parts are together. (Engine guard must be holding my order back)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts