Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
02 Outback
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Installed a Sky Box last night on my OB. Looks cool just worried about wind noise at 75mph down the hwy. Anyone else have any issues with wind noise or other issues with cargo boxes on their OB's?
I got it to fit right so the rear hatch still opens all the way up. Going to work out great for road trips.

·
Registered
2008 Ford Escape XLS - 2002 Subaru Outback
246 Posts
Wind noise with a coffin on top of your car is bound to happen. Don't be worred about it flying off till about 90 mph where the supports might break.

·
Registered
2000 OBW
9 Posts
I have used a Yakima RocketBox 11 for the last two seasons on my 2000 OBW. I left the box installed all winter this year and was able to average around 22mpg over the 7000 miles traveled with the box on. The heaviest loads carried during that time were 4 snowboards or the amount of camping gear you could stuff into two 65L packs. I chose the rocket box over the SkyBox due to the length as it allowed me to carry a 7' fly rod in the box rather than the cabin. As far as wind noise I would say it did better than expected at highway speeds.

I noticed on my longer trips the best fuel mileage was had at 70mph or below. Anything over 80 and mpg would really start to suffer.

Enjoy your new box!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts