Subaru Outback Forums banner

21 - 40 of 754 Posts

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,551 Posts
you could boost your fuel's octane with toluene or xylene.

just don't forget!

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
14,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I have access to jet fuel at a local executive airport just a few miles from the shop. It even has a card reader. Swipe and pump. One gallon please.

Got the e-mail today that all my SC parts are on their way out of Australia. Should see them next Wed/Thurs if shipping goes well. I will post as many pics as I can so everyone keeping track can see the work in progress. Hopefully the programming will be ready by the time I get everything installed. 5,000 lines of data to go through for reverse engineering isn't a small task. With the weekend repair traffic I get, I probably won't start on it until the following Monday or so, so don't expect anything for a couple weeks. Gonna tie up a bay for few days once I get started.

·
Premium Member
I has car.
4,621 Posts
Just because I'm picky: "Jet" (as in turbojet--an external combustion engine) fuel is essentially kerosene.

High octane av-gas for piston mills is a different product entirely. . . And probably what you were referring to.

·
Premium Member
14,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Keeping it simple. Good to know there are others out there that actually study to learn.

For those of you just reading the post, you can not put large quantities of this fuel in your tanks. And I would suggest that if you even think about it, do the math first. Don't blow your engines. And its not for cruising around.

·
Registered
DIY-Turbo 2.2l OBS 12.89s 1/4mile @ 106.17MPH
399 Posts
Ok...

So you are bound and determined to supercharge an engine with 10.7: 1 compression, and will not intercool the thing. I am assuming you've read Corky Bell's book where he talks about the intake charge reaching 1075 degrees F as a maximum during the compression stroke, otherwise damaging detonation will take place. Based upon the calculations that are talked about in his book, you can run about 4-5 psi without that intercooler max. That will give you more power, but probably not enough to justify the time, effort, and expense.

Well, hey man, that's cool- They are your pistons/cash to burn. Good luck-

N
I'm not a fan of superchargers, but am a boost junkie that is familiar with raptor s/c (they started selling intercooled & non-intercooled S/C kits for ej cars a long time ago on RS25.com). I've turbo'd quite a few cars, here are some real life observations I've made on my turbo conversions - OP good luck on the s/c conversion!

5psi can be very noticable on a high compression engine set-up - check out my MAP ej22 turbo parts list on RS25.com - I actually have a link to dyno runs of a stock longblock MAP ej16 that @ just 5psi made an additional 48ish WHP / 50+WTQ (went from like 80whp stock to 120whp @ 5psi(basically 1.5 times the stock power) & a number of OBS / EJ22 guys have used my parts list/advice to boost their ej22's...

I've measured similar gains on my own MAP ej222 @ 4.5psi & generally have come to expect about 10WHP per psi of boost added to a high compression 4 cyl engine when set-up properly.
I'd expect about 15WHP per psi on a 6cyl / 75whp @ 5psi on turbo'd car with a good tune, curious as to what the s/c will make in terms of power per psi of boost but I think raptor had dyno charts of ej 4cyls @ 5psi posted on RS25 a while back.

As far as intercooling I personally could not run over 7psi on my 10:1 CR 4cyl without detonation using a OEM WRX TMIC & had to use methanol injection to get the car to safely increase boost (My wagon has been turbo'd since 2004 & my initial goal was to safely run 5psi on the stock longblock which eventually was met & exceeded - like on the 2nd week of boost)

·
Premium Member
14,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Thanks, will do. The programming is becoming a major headache. I may have to piggyback and tune both comps at the same time.

As for how its going......:D.

I am still awaiting another Wideband from Innovate with gauges. I decided it may be a good idea to keep track of both banks even though the ignition is new and new injectors are going in and the engine runs balanced now. Doing dual widebands would come in handy later if a misfire or fuel issue pops up. I still have a lot of plumbing to do, remount the PS reservoir, drop the pipes to weld in the bungs for 3 additional sensors (EGT is the 3rd). I got a triple gauge A-pillar that fits an Impreza that I will modify to fit my pillar to hold the WB and EGT. Boost gauge will be mounted in a yet undetermined location. I may be able to make a clean mount for the dash.

I am dropping off the two bumper skins tomorrow for paint and I will fix the bumper myself. Two lower skin brackets from Subaru ($12.00 each) will be delivered before the bumpers are completed along with the needed plastic retainers and upper skin to fender retainers. I have been dealing with rust. The car spent most of its life just outside Boston. I had to cut out 3 of the 4 upper retainers. **** snow and salt.....

I will post video on You Tube. Try to tomorrow. Have to see how busy the shop gets. Got a 5.7 out of a Caddi now and the heads are to be delivered in the am. But my helper is working that one with close supervision.

Attachments

·
Registered
399 Posts
Why do you need 2 widebands?

I recently upgraded to a Zeitronix Wideband data logging system but tuned by EGT for years prior to installing the wideband & still tune my buddies drag cars on EGT (we've run a best time of 8.41s @ 161 MPH in the 1/4 mile running 34psi of boost - estimated WHP is about 730WHP, we've run 9.78 @ 140mph on the slow car running a smaller GT45 turbo @ a itty-bitty 18psi on a pig rich tune).

I started off with an EGT probe place about 2-3" from the e-port on 1 bank of CYLs on my OBS-t, I installed an additional EGt gauge / probe to moniter EGTs for both bank of CYLs making sure the hotter bank was still within my EGT limits.

Last addition was the wideband as they were pricey when I initally boosted my car, in retrospect my zeitronix set-up would have saved me money on a EGT gauge & boost gauge as it is a 5 in 1 gauge / data-logger.

The wideband allowed me to safely refine my fueling as it is quicker to respond to changes than the EGTs (lean conditions take a bit of time to register on a Pyrometer) the combination of both wideband & EGT monitering give you the data needed to tune safely & properly.

·
Premium Member
14,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
It was a mediocre busy day at the shop so I didn't get much done. Tim at Raptor thinks I am moving along fairly quickly for all the changes I am making under the hood. Its a good thing really. I get interrupted while working on the Outback but it changes my thinking and actually helps.

Two widebands for a couple reasons: They react instantly and if a problem occurs, I will have an actual total of 4 AF sensors; 2 for the ECM and 2 for logging/tuning/diagnostics, an EGT and several other temperature sensors to assist in diagnosing the issue. The more information available, the quicker a problem is resolved.

So today, I got the brakes bled/flushed out to remove the air from the system that got in when I disconnected the ABS for relocation. And, as you can see in the pics, I got the power steering reservoir mounted to the rear of the engine compartment and utilized the cruise control actuator bracket to remount the reservoir, looped the return hose around the ABS motor/module to insure no kinks, and the feed hose runs along the fender rail to the pump.

The air inlet and filter was also mounted. I had to cut away a section of the fender to allow for pass through without stressing the coupler and smoothed the edge with sandpaper. I was off with my calculations for the filter setup when I ordered my parts, so I had to use a couple Spectre elbows to get the fit correct.

First crank video and it sounds great.

Attachments

·
Registered
2002 Outback Wagon 2.5L Auto Weather Package
1,972 Posts
So, you gonna take it to a wet parking lot when its done and show us some nice 4 wheel power drifts?

Are you keeping the fogs?
The inner fender does get some air, and from what I can see most of it comes from the back of the fog light socket. If this is meant to be pretty much a street machine, you could just take out the fogs. You could mount the intercooler in the other fender, and let the other fog housing supply the cool air for that.

·
Premium Member
14,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
There is a large empty lot behind the shop. Dirt and grass. A LOT. Mud when it rains. Nothing like a dirty Subie.

The fog lights will stay. I am going to paint the grills to match the bumpers.

I will have to modify the actual bumper for the radiators and fan. It will be posted. The WTA intercooler will mount at the TB with heater hoses running to the stand alone radiator with cooling fan. Using a type13.

You'll see. Highly efficient cooling. .01 pressure loss.

·
Registered
399 Posts
There is a large empty lot behind the shop. Dirt and grass. A LOT. Mud when it rains. Nothing like a dirty Subie.

The fog lights will stay. I am going to paint the grills to match the bumpers.

I will have to modify the actual bumper for the radiators and fan. It will be posted. The WTA intercooler will mount at the TB with heater hoses running to the stand alone radiator with cooling fan. Using a type13.

You'll see. Highly efficient cooling. .01 pressure loss.
Re: 2 Widebands I agree with you the more info you have the easier it is to catch & solve problems quickly.

Do you have / have you ordered the AWIC yet?

If not I'd recommend CX racing bar & plate intercooler cores available on ebay VERY CHEAP.

We've used these intercoolers, tubing, silicone hoses, t-bolt clamps on everything from my low boost high CR ej222 turbo conversion to my buddy's 8 second drag car running 34psi of boost & have never had any issues.
The bar & plate cores are identical internally to spearco cores (I had a small'ish (28x6x2.5")$800 spearco fmic core laying around for comparision) & the CX I/C's really drop charge temps & are super cheap (31x12x3" core we use on everything including my OBS-t & the Drag cars = $100'ish).
We were so impressed with the intercoolers we started using CX Racing radiators which can easily keep hot running turbo rotary engines cold!

They sold a small AWIC for $150'ish & also sell heat exchangers for the awic set-ups - both of which I'd expect to work extremely well - ? current price but I'm sure it is reasonable.

Be sure to service the transmission with good trans fluid & an external cooler (assuming it is a 4eat)
as dialed in boost will make the tran's life much more difficult.

·
Premium Member
14,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
So today, much was done to customer cars and not much to mine. I got the radiator and WTA intercooler and hoses in. Then after I shot the first pic, I realized I didn't get the pump in. DUH. Interruptions are heavy after 3:30 pm. So I got that in. The wiring for the pump and fan will be tomorrow, then the second water cooler for the SC will be mounted above the current trans cooler.

Then went down the street to Big Boys Body Shop to see the finished bumpers. Looking good.

As for trans cooler. Been there, done that. When the transmission was rebuilt after I acquired the car, the trans cooler was added.

You can see the Type 13 mounted, painted in the champagne that matches the side skirts, on to the throttle body. I have to bung the temperature sensor still, and make the brackets for the WTA for stability.

As far as cost for the WTAIC:
Water to Air Intercooler DIY Kit 350 HP (WAT001034) = $302.98
Reservoir Not Included
Remote Filler Cap Include Remote Filler Cap
Radiator Type Silver (Type 114) With 7" Fan
Pump Type Rule 401FC
Intercooler Inlet/Outlet Bend (Type 13)
Installation Kit Not Included

SiliconeIntakes.com

Still have the injectors to install. I am painting the injector protector plates through the day for good dry time between coats. The color scheme will look good I think. I am contemplating removing the intake and painting it in the Pearl.

Attachments

·
Registered
399 Posts
I looked @ your pics for the first time today & see the trans cooler...

Looks like you are making quick progress on the install, when do you think you'll be done with the install & start tuning?

·
Premium Member
14,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I looked @ your pics for the first time today & see the trans cooler...

Looks like you are making quick progress on the install, when do you think you'll be done with the install & start tuning?
I am only able to work on the car when I am not working with customers or doing diagnostics on their cars. Didn't do anything with it today except put more Subie parts in the cargo area.

I expected a long time between start and finish. I only tied up a lift for 2 days. Everything else done on the ground. Until I take down the pipes to install the bungs.

·
Premium Member
14,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Busy Day

Not for the VDC though.

I got to the shop early to get a few things done, or started, but ended up dealing with sleepover cars instead, and the phone calls. It was a busy day but I managed to get my supports made for the WTA and the top one for the ABS unit.

I also chopped up the front bumper to fit back on with the addition of the radiators and extra fan. Then cleaned it mediocre and sprayed with black primer.

The support in the pic is the one I made to attach to the rear of the WTA. It connects the WTA to the torque strut bracket on the transmission so it will move with engine torque but not shake around. The curve is to clear the AC suction line.

Bob came by the shop to do some touch up on my car he has been telling me for a while he would get done. Pics. He decided since the bumper was off it would be easier. He is semi-retired, ongoing battle with cancer. He used to do body for a living. He is one of my customers and friends. Owns a 70 302 Mustang, all original, numbers match. I got him with a squint the first shot. The sun actually came from behind the clouds for a while.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Creating a definition for the rom been very difficult and have taken many many man hours and like the ole sayings, nothing good comes easy. Found major maps but the critical ones play hard to get :)

·
Premium Member
14,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Well, got my apartment cleaned up, did laundry and realized I didn't flip the fan blade on the motor. Another DUH. So I went to the shop. I was bored anyway. My apartment takes a whopping 45 minutes to clean. No carpets.

So, I got the fan blade flipped, attached all the hoses, wrapped the hoses, ran my B+ from the fan and pump into the car, put on the bumper then decided to go ahead and put my air pipe together while I was there.

That took a while. I didn't notice when I unpacked all the parts that the BOV adapter was 3". The outlet on the SC and the inlet on the WTA are 2.5". I got the 2.5" WTA because the SC was 2.5" outlet. What shows up but a 3" adapter. Thanks Tim. :rolleyes:

So, I pieced it together, again having to use Spectre 2.5/3" coupler to make it work. It worked.

The pics are as follows: The fan on the radiator, the hood is locked down to make sure it clears, the bumper clears the shroud, the brackets on the WTA with one showing the underside bracket I made attached. The next are of the intake tubing with the BOV fitted in.

Depending on how the day goes tomorrow, I will change the injectors and get the injector covers back on. I will have to trim on Tim's SC bracket to allow for the engine cover to sit all the way down, and/or I will have to trim the cover depending on clearance with the belt extending off the PS pulley. I wont need the hump that resides by the pump. Don't know why its there. It was built for a newer H6.

Attachments

21 - 40 of 754 Posts