Subaru Outback Forums banner

721 - 727 of 727 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #721
@Mad Mallard

JDMWESTSIDE in San Diego. They have 100% on feedback and the photos show the booster bung in the right spot for RH drive. We'll see when it gets here.

Might do some extra modifications in the engine compartment while I'm swapping. Clean it up a little and try to get the clutter down.

·
Super Moderator
9,558 Posts
Sucks to hear. Is a one of a kind.

Do you plan on rebuilding the new jdm ez30d or building it up at all while it's out?

·
Premium Member
11,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #723
I still don't believe there is a need to change internal parts. For now, I'm swapping engines and will tear the blown engine apart to see what happened and post it up here. After that, it depends on what I find whether or not I build it up with tougher parts. The engine went 42k miles with boost without excessive oil consumption (actually using less between oil changes than a lot of people have posted on their H6s), overheating or fueling issues that would cause detonation. It was running smooth right up to the point it blew. All the "issues" that have come up have been miniscule, like the inetercooler pumps that failed, (the Prius pump is doing great), the stuck open BOV years back, injector seal leaks a few thousand ago (the upper seal and the lower insert) and recently the AC as examples. Small stuff. I caught the AF sensor fluctuations thanks to the Innovate gauges on the A-pillar and replaced those a couple weeks ago and all has been good. I've even been getting 17 mpg on E85. The car hasn't seen boost over 5 psi in the last few years (prob 30k miles or more). Most of the high boost (to 10-12 psi) was back when I put the rebuilt SC with the billet compressor on and we were testing/tuning to find the "sweet spot" and max out the AWHP numbers.

I am baffled and will not know exactly what happened until its torn apart. I do know I have oil out the exhaust port on bank 2.

·
Premium Member
11,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #724
Slow day, so I pulled the car in to start stripping the engine down.

Upon pulling the bank 2 AF sensors, coolant is present in the pipe and on the sensors. Blew a HG. Bank 1 was dry.

Still going to tear the engine down to check everything to see how things have been wearing.

·
Premium Member
11,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #725
Got down to the last 3 bell housing bolts and went to the torque converter bolts. The engine would not turn over with the starter. It wouldn't turn forward with a 3' pry bar either.

It did turn backward without breaking loose the crank bolt and I got all 4 bolts out. :jump:

A lot of coolant drained out of the oil pan, so I'm sure the bearings are trashed and I got lucky the crank turned at all.

·
Premium Member
11,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #726
While I was taking the intake off to get to the torque converter bolts, oil and coolant was in the intake. I am thinking detonation event and crack sleeve/block. When I get time to tear it down, I'll post up.

The engine is in and was running at 4pm yesterday.

It likes the boost. Need to check what's up with the fuel trim variation. I'll smoke it and pull the plugs again today. Attached is a graph from this morning. It looks like 0-60 is about 7 or 8 seconds. ECM map vs Innovate MAP vary by 2.5 psi, ECM being lower. I'm not messing with the scaling on the MAP any longer, it's close enough for "daily" driving.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #727
I had a crack in the weld at the header flange on bank 2. The fuel trim correction came down, but it's still higher on bank 2 by 7-10% over bank 1. I didn't get around to pulling coils and plugs this weekend with other things to do, so that's next weekend or if I have a little down time at the shop to pull it in and check.

721 - 727 of 727 Posts