Subaru Outback Forums banner

741 - 754 of 754 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Have you considered an STS rear-mounted turbo? I have a friend with a C5 vette wearing a pair of them, I can assure you there is no appreciable turbo lag unlike what the naysayers may tell you.

Squires Turbo Systems - Turbocharged Innovation!

Aside from having to plumb intake air from the back of the car they're a relatively easy install.

One thing I'd be very interested in is if you guys can tweak the ECU to ignore the AT. . . it would make swapping in a MT a much easier feat. Right now the only successful jobs I've seen involve leaving the AT trans controller in place and install resistors in place of solenoids.
I’ve been running my manual conversion since October last year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
14,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #743
@Rick2019 Manual swap in a non-VDC H6 is a bit easier to do than with VDC. Theres more involved in the wiring saga.

Oh boy. I haven't read all 37 pages like the guy above me, but I'd stay away from doing a manual swap. OR if you do decide, swap an H6 into an H4 with a manual already in it. Every auto-to-manual conversion I've seen and ridden in (not specifically Subarus, just cars in general (it has been about 6 or so)) are NOT good. Clutch feels weird, shifter feels weird, one of them you could see the road from inside the cabin.... I'd pay respects to the Subaru engineers and find a 2.5L with a blown motor and then a 3.0L that was totalled from behind and frankenstein them that way. Just my 2 cents...
The ECM that runs the H6 still has to be with the H6. To put an H6 in an H4 car ALL of the car's engine bay and interior harness has to be swapped. With an H6 car it's a matter of rewiring to trick the ECM in to seeing a TCM (for an auto) along with pedals, trans, shifter, mounts, support brackets, etc. There's no cutting. The car is a universal fit car. The H6 came with a manual in other countries after 2004 but those ECMs won't work with a Gen 1 car. I don't know of a stock H6/manual prior to 04 JDM.

·
Registered
38 Posts
@Rick2019 Manual swap in a non-VDC H6 is a bit easier to do than with VDC. Theres more involved in the wiring saga.

The ECM that runs the H6 still has to be with the H6. To put an H6 in an H4 car ALL of the car's engine bay and interior harness has to be swapped. With an H6 car it's a matter of rewiring to trick the ECM in to seeing a TCM (for an auto) along with pedals, trans, shifter, mounts, support brackets, etc. There's no cutting. The car is a universal fit car. The H6 came with a manual in other countries after 2004 but those ECMs won't work with a Gen 1 car. I don't know of a stock H6/manual prior to 04 JDM.
I actually don’t no if I have vdc or not. And my tcm I threw that in the bin last year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
14,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #745
Yesterday I pulled the transmission. It's on a pallet and waiting for pick up for it's trip to Hamburg.

With shipping back and forth the trans build is $4431.00 (build total is $3998.00). Plus 2 quarts 75W90 gear oil, $23.00, 10 quarts of Idemitsu HP fluid, $77 and trans filter, $16.00. Total $4547.00.

Torque converter, valve body and internals are being built to withstand up to 700 BHP.

I had pushed it in the shop a couple weeks ago and pulled the pan. The "neutralizing" was due to a clogged strainer. It was full of clutch debris. Installed another strainer I had and filled it back up. 3rd gear, toasted. I hope the valve body modifications Level 10 does helps with the 2-3 shift. I am going to assume they are going to use the Nissan valve body kit and hope they have additional modifications to correct it on the mechanical side since the TCM programming remains out of reach; AFAIK.

I am going to flush the lines and install the new trans filter when I push it back in for the installation.

This puts me over the $50k mark since I bought the car.

Waiting patiently.

·
Premium Member
14,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #747
My new set of 650cc injectors arrived yesterday. The shipping company with my "NEW" transmission shows delivery on Monday.

I'm trying to be patient, but I'm tired of looking at my car sitting behind the shop gathering African dirt. It is quite dirty.

The oddball thing is there's also an 03 VDC sitting next to mine with it's transmission out because of a cracked case. It's waiting on a replacement to arrive. It's been sitting 2 weeks because the first trans delivered was a 4 speed out of an 07 Forester instead of a gen 2 VDC. OOPS.

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
11,287 Posts
It's done. Also put in new front sway links. I didn't like the way the "old" ones looked.

10.5 qts of fluid and it shifted good on the lift. Tweaked the ROM for the new set of injectors. Now we'll see how it does with the meat on the ground. 😁
Awesome!

What do you think is going to break now? :D

·
Registered
2003 Subaru Outback H6 Wagon
49 Posts
Hi Cardoc,

it's a pleasure to follow this thread.

Thanx for your passionate competence (y)

741 - 754 of 754 Posts