More

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
14,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Last one, 1800 HP.

Same owner as the orange GMC (1700 HP) and the Vette. He also has a 959 (that's Porsche "Normy") with a 428, 56 Bel Aire, Supercharged Harley and more. The man's been building and collecting cars for years.

There's lots more, but I could fill a book with photos and details of my work and others'.

Attachments

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
11,286 Posts
Cardoc, interesting Project.

Seriously though, come on guys. If you don't have anything nice to say...

·
Registered
2000 Outback Limited, Dual Range 5 Speed
904 Posts
Love this thread, been very interesting until late, seriously get back on topic, and stop acting like preschoolers (both of you). Cardoc to me it seems like you know what your doing and if it goes pear shaped so be it, your dosh and car, keep up the great work.

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,306 Posts
Normy, cardoc

I'm only going to say this once.

Keep. It. Civil.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Normy, cardoc

I'm only going to say this once.

Keep. It. Civil.
Civil it is. He's doing a supercharger conversion, and I think he's made a few basic mistakes. I'm buying him a LOT of beer if I ever meet him, but so far?

Hmm. The lack of vacuum on that manifold pressure gauge, and the words "sometimes it moves around a bit"....

·
Premium Member
14,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
The gauge is not connected to the intake manifold.

Got the exhaust done. I was busy so I paid a friend to have it done at his shop. The whole job, including the 2 6.2L rated cats ran $483.

Sounds decent at idle. I expect it will rumble on acceleration.

The Bosch WB AF sensors and EGT will be installed and modules mounted with the cables running into the car for the OT-2 and gauges tomorrow. The weather has turned crappy, so why not.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Car idles at the normal vacuum. Temperatures are in Celcius. Car does not idle at 0psi and in the turbo world, I would be so happy if I had 0. lol.

Myself and another is trying to support the rom as much as we can. There is no definition out there that we know off for this MAP based ECU. Just needing 3 variables is like giving life to a rock.

I must admit that Mike knows his stuff and I believe the data, pics, etc is good information for the general public wanting to have such a project. LIke any other project in new territory, anything is likely to happen. It just in all manner and safety, when!!!

Please review all data carefully before making comments and increasing thread clutter.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
14,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
Definitely not a slouch anymore. I bet I can get to 45mph in that amount of time. ;)
I have to get 2 exhaust manifold gaskets from Subaru tomorrow and I have the DeatchWerks pump should be at the shop Tuesday or Wednesday. Tend to lean out a little at high rpm. (starts at about 5200 and creaps up from there, but after repairing the vacuum leak, its not as lean as prior)

·
Registered
DIY-Turbo 2.2l OBS 12.89s 1/4mile @ 106.17MPH
399 Posts
Looks like you've made decent progress!

If you have access to E85 you may want to have a "e85" tune created as it is cheap & supports increased boost/timing - folks run 10:1CR (sometimeS higher CR) + 50psi of boost on E85!

I swapped a V2 STi RA longblock (Limited production, hand built, closed deck 2.0l block, forged pistons, solid lifters, OEM ported heads, better cams, etc, etc) into a 98 spd outback & used an e-manage ultimate to control fueling / timing for 93 octane + E85 (not readily available in the NYC area) using the 4 dip switches on the front panel so the owner can fill up with either e85 (1 hour drive + $5 toll to nearest e85 station) or 93 with by flipping the switches.
The car made +16whp @ the same conservative boost level (14psi) on E85 - not bad.

Did you consider the OBX H6 headers for your wagon before having a set of headers made?

·
Premium Member
14,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
No E85 around here. I use Premium from Shell or Texaco, 93 Octane. If I want to up the octane, I can go to the executive airport down the road and swipe my debit card for a gallon. That's what a lot of us do before the Friday night drags.

I needed to get the breathing correct so we could continue to tune the stock ECM. I thought about headers. I can always build them later. Same with custom fuel rails.

Didn't do anything to the car today except drop it off at our car wash across the street to get 2+ weeks of dirt off it. Bob (my friend/customer) came by and did some more paint touch up work after that. I was too busy with customer vehicles to do anything.

The list remains: DeatchWerks pump, exhaust manifold gaskets, both due by Wednesday and rear sway links/realignment, more tuning.

Tim @ Raptor is thinking I need a smaller pulley to gain more on the low end. Makes since. The cars they have in Australia are all JDM and the redline and top rpm are higher as well as having AVCS since he mostly deals with the newer gens, so he builds them with a large pulley. We are waiting for a reply from his manufacturer on it.

·
Registered
DIY-Turbo 2.2l OBS 12.89s 1/4mile @ 106.17MPH
399 Posts
Too bad there is not readily available E85 in our necks of the woods - I'd "flex-fuel" my OBS in a heartbeat if I could fill-up with E85 locally.
Heck I'd even fill up with the old 94 octane Sunoco if it still existed (I observed a 100* EGT drop with 94 oct. vs 93 octane) - our only high octane fuel option in NYC is to get 100 octane Sunoco for $8.99/Gal in NJ & pay a $12-13 toll to get back to NY which is not really an option.

The boost curve on your H6 does look lazy with the car hitting 1psi @ around 2500 RPMS & 5psi @ around 6k (like Tim @ Raptor observed).
But
Assuming the s/c is not clutched won't a smaller pulley increase response as well as max boost - basically shifting your current boost curve upwards in terms of pressure on the low & high ends of the scale?

If you could get your 5psi from 2500 to 6000RPMs you'll have much more power throughout the rpm range transforming your wagon without stressing the engine with extra boost pressure @ high rpms - A compromise would be to get 5psi from 4500rpms to the redline as it seems that up-shifts put you @ 4500rpms / 2.9psi.

I'm not sure if a centrifical S/c can provide a constant boost level over a wide RPM range - pretty sure the Eaton s/c's (roots style) do hit target boost fairly early & do have clutched variants (fuel economy) -? how effecient they are though...

Just for reference I get boost from about 1500rpms with 10psi of boost from around 3000rpms to the rev limiter @ WOT with the turbo & can cruise off boost on the H/W which is nice for fuel economy (I average over 33mpg including drag strip runs when I hit the 1/4 mile track 160mile roundtrip + 1/4 mile runs).

·
Premium Member
14,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
My DeatchWerks showed today. Got it swapped in. Leaning at high rpm is reduced. Sent Ed at XRT a couple runs, one gear pull, one 0-130 in D. Wait and see what he comes up with.

Here are some pics of the pump assembly before and after. I only had to make 2 modifications. The outlet end seal had to be trimmed about 3mm. The sump end cushion was swapped for another handmade cushion. Snug fit. The OE plug fit perfect.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
14,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
It's louder than I wanted.

So the fuel pump did a lot of good. The MAP sensor threshold is still hiding in the ROM so when I boost higher than 5.5, the ECM cannot calculate. Downloaded another ROM update this morning and drove it in. Haven't done any real pulling on it yet. Its raining this morning. Yes, the tires spin.

Attached are two graphs.

Attachments

·
Registered
2001 H6 OBW LL Bean
29 Posts
I'm pretty sure theres e85 near you, seems like parmer and 35 I saw some and I've found it at a few heb gas stations.. Goverment subsided 100 octane! I'm not sure what all needs to be changed but im sure you know pure ethanol eats rubber and seals. Theres a few extra benefits, ethanol burns a little cooler.

·
Premium Member
14,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
I'm pretty sure theres e85 near you, seems like parmer and 35 I saw some and I've found it at a few heb gas stations.. Goverment subsided 100 octane! I'm not sure what all needs to be changed but im sure you know pure ethanol eats rubber and seals. Theres a few extra benefits, ethanol burns a little cooler.
I try to stay away from heb and wally mart gas. It sets off 0420 codes in new cars because it doesn't burn well enough. Had a customer out an $8000 engine due to heb gas leaving carbon deposits. The Dodge adjuster said no go on the 100k warranty because of use of inferior gasolines. He was mad.

Put up some more vids. This one and a few others. Usually, this road is clear.

61 - 80 of 754 Posts