Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy Folks, I'm a newly minted OB owner and one of the main reason I went with the car is to help my camping and hiking hobby. I'm just wondering has anyone has any tips on using my OB to sleep inside without be having to take the hassle of pitching the tent. :D

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5
54 Posts
I kayak and have slept in the back plenty. I just put the rear seats flat and use a twin air mattress

·
Registered
2003 Outback Limited 2.5L H4 5MT Regatta Red Pearl w/ lift and audio system
1,256 Posts
I've got an '03 which I've slept in before. Me and a couple friends actually. The cargo area was loaded, so I slept in the driver's seat, one friend in the passenger's seat, and one cramped in the back seat. I actually slept quite well because the seat was tilted back almost all the way. My friend in the back was not so happy.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I kayak and have slept in the back plenty. I just put the rear seats flat and use a twin air mattress
I've got an '03 which I've slept in before. Me and a couple friends actually. The cargo area was loaded, so I slept in the driver's seat, one friend in the passenger's seat, and one cramped in the back seat. I actually slept quite well because the seat was tilted back almost all the way. My friend in the back was not so happy.
Did you have the hatch open or closed? do you had to sleep diagonally ?

I don't like sleeping in the driver/passenger seat by tilting it fully, I tried it with my old Accord and wasn't too happy.

·
Registered
'11 outback 2.5i premium '12 impreza sport limited
3,822 Posts
my wife and her friend took my car to go to a concert a few hours away. they slept in the car that night. plenty of room, her friend has a jeep commander and she couldn't believe how much room the outback had. her car wouldn't have been near as comfortable.

·
Registered
2008 subaru outback 2.5i
472 Posts
I am gonna try to camp in mine this spring. But I hope i don't run into the same problem as i did with my XJ. I am 5"11 and it was tight. When i have my back full of stuff i have to find a place for it when i want to sleep in the back.

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
the length of the cargo area with the seats folded is perfect for sleeping. a jeep is taller and i think wider, but not as long.

·
Registered
2013 OB 3.6R Limited, Black Silica
383 Posts
I have a specific cargo requirement so when I was car shopping a tape measure came with me. in the showroom I measured 6'1" seat back to tailgate. I would imagine if you pushed the front seats all the forward you could gain a few inches. I only needed 5'6" for my cargo so good to go.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
:5:
my wife and her friend took my car to go to a concert a few hours away. they slept in the car that night. plenty of room, her friend has a jeep commander and she couldn't believe how much room the outback had. her car wouldn't have been near as comfortable.
Wow thats a lot of room. I can't wait to put my air mattress inside and cozy up in my sleeping bag.

I also think lowering one window to some extent is a good thing not to die of asphyxiation.

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
i am 6'2", if i would have been sleeping in the back i would take the headrest off the front seat and tilted it back to touch the rear seats. my wife's friend is pretty tall for a girl, i think she bent her legs just a bit.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Same setup as guy66, except I'm out flyfishing and am 6'1". No problem with passenger seat full forward and window cracked a bit. Actually, it is quite comfy since the back seat-backs fold flush with cargo floor unlike my old gen2 Outback.

·
Registered
2003 Outback Limited 2.5L H4 5MT Regatta Red Pearl w/ lift and audio system
1,256 Posts
Did you have the hatch open or closed? do you had to sleep diagonally ?

I don't like sleeping in the driver/passenger seat by tilting it fully, I tried it with my old Accord and wasn't too happy.
Well then my idea is not for you. :D I can't say I was comfortable, but I was comfortable enough to get a pretty good night's sleep. I would have liked to sleep in the back with the rear seats down for sure.

·
Registered
'14 3.6R Outback
2,345 Posts
I am gonna try to camp in mine this spring. But I hope i don't run into the same problem as i did with my XJ. I am 5"11 and it was tight. When i have my back full of stuff i have to find a place for it when i want to sleep in the back.
My XJ and my OB seem very close to the same size. I think the OB is much longer if you move the front seats forward.

·
Registered
2012 Silver Outback Premium 2.5 CVT
175 Posts
I originally set out to buy a Forester but Austin Subaru let me do some extended test drives and I brought a Forester and an Outback to my house and tested how well my 29" mountain bikes loaded up and if I could stretch out in the back. That was one of the first things that sold me.

My idea for car camping around Texas for mountain bike races is to throw my Skybox 16 on top full of gear as well as my bike which should leave the whole car open for sleeping. Just need to do it before June.

Does anyone make a tent attachment or screens for the back windows like I have for my Jetta Sportwagen? Those are the best.

EDIT: OOOH!

·
Registered
42 Posts
this works great for me... DAC tailgate tent and an airmattress

i'm a ww kayaker so plenty of nights in the back.
I'm 6'4" and fit is fine (allows for feet to hangover some)
set up in minutes.
bug screen for summer to have nice airflow (get a little battery operated fan)
i go ahead and use one of those coleman thick twin air mattresses. perfect fit.
in winter i've done down to teens with sides drawn down and a good bag (adn extra layer under me for insulation). still enough venting but i did have a bit of frost condensation on windows (from breath). don't run engine with tent on.
been in a few good thunderstorms, basically dry (park with nose of car slightly uphill).

only downside is if you are traveling with folks (like a paddling crew), they have to unload all their stuff so you can sleep, but traveling solo it's awesome to just pull off the road and poach a night's sleep

SubaruOutback.org Member Galleries - Message

at campmore (and other places)
Minivan And Sport Utility Vehicle Tent, Dac Explorer 2 | Campmor

1 - 20 of 45 Posts