Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Subaru Outback Limited
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2003 OB 190k
I've started to notice a slight drifting to the right if I take my hands off the wheel for a (very) short period of time.
It's not very bad, but I'm thinking I should get it fixed, and I'm not convinced I have the time/tools/knowledge to do this myself.
Quoted 85 bucks by my local auto shop.
Would a tire place do this cheaper or is that about right ?
Griff.

·
Registered
2005 LL Bean
138 Posts
2003 OB 190k
I've started to notice a slight drifting to the right if I take my hands off the wheel for a (very) short period of time.
It's not very bad, but I'm thinking I should get it fixed, and I'm not convinced I have the time/tools/knowledge to do this myself.
Quoted 85 bucks by my local auto shop.
Would a tire place do this cheaper or is that about right ?
Griff.
What are they doing for $85? Is it just an alignment or is something worn? Keep in mind, most times you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
2005 Legacy 2.5i Wagon 4EAT; 2005 Forester XS 4EAT
672 Posts
Mine does this, even after new tires and TWO alignments. My steering wheel is also off center, slightly to the left. It was off about the same amount before the tires and alignment, but in the opposite direction.

·
Registered
2003 LL Bean Outback H6 and 2019 Outback Base
514 Posts
Need more info.......mine did this.....put 4 new tires and had an alignment done with the wheel being " centered "

Perfect !!!!!

·
Registered
91 Posts
As others have said and you should be asking - what are they going to do for $85?

First thing to check is tire pressure all around. Make sure you do not have a low/slow leaking tire that is causing the problem.

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,526 Posts
I second that - you have to have exact same tire pressure in both front wheels.

·
Registered
2010 2.5i Outback, 2015 2.5i Legacy w/Eyesight
589 Posts
How slight is the drift? If it is a minor drift, it could just be the road. Most roads have a slight slope built into them (higher at the center than the shoulders) to help with drainage and the added benefit of tending to naturally prevent a head-on collision between two cars in case a driver falls asleep at the wheel.

·
Registered
2005 Legacy 2.5i Wagon 4EAT; 2005 Forester XS 4EAT
672 Posts
Need more info.......mine did this.....put 4 new tires and had an alignment done with the wheel being " centered "

Perfect !!!!!
You had the alignment done with the STEERING wheel centered? Was it pulling at all before you had the alignment done?

·
Registered
00 Outback Wagon...269K 09 Legacy 2.5 Sedan...93k
201 Posts
A tight bearing/hub could also drift the car slightly to that side...

·
Registered
2003 LL Bean Outback H6 and 2019 Outback Base
514 Posts
Yes..redgeminipa..........pulling to the right...................now.................all perfectly " lined up"

Like new

·
Registered
2001 OBW, 2.5L, 165k
75 Posts
My 2001 has an ever so slight drift to the right. I've had alignment checked. All good. Tire pressure spot on. I haven't figured out why. Brakes don't drag. No clue. Tire wear seems to be normal... So I don't stress :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.