Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 98 Legacy Outback 5 Speed with 170k. I just got it up and running, and I've noticed that as I apply throttle, there is a noticeable roughness about how it runs. It happens in neutral, when revving up, and also while I'm driving. I can't feel it through the steering wheel, but very much so through the shifter, which is where I noticed it originally. It's almost as if something is unbalanced (flywheel?) It gets noticeable around 2000rpm, and doesn't necessarily increase with rpms, but it is still there. I had a mechanic test drive it, and he said it runs fine, but he did notice a slight roughness.

It had head gaskets and timing belt done in 2009.

About a week ago, it threw an EGR code, so I reset it and it hasn't come up since.

It just passed emissions in Colorado.

Spark plugs look good, only minor wear.

Engine mounts look decent.

It has plenty of power, recently changed engine and gear oil.

I know it's vague, but I was just hoping someone could point me in the right direction. The accessory belts should be changed, but I can't imagine those contributing to this, but maybe? Should I start looking for vacuum leaks? Clean any sensors? Valve adjustment? Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
2014 OBW 3.6R Limited, 1997 OBW 2.5L Auto (sold, but not forgotten), and 1991 Ford F150
1,525 Posts
I have a 98 Legacy Outback 5 Speed with 170k. I just got it up and running
What does "I just got it up and running" mean? What work was done on it recently?

Are the spark plugs NGK or some other brand?
Are the spark plug wires NGK, Subaru, or some other brand?

Hint: They should be NGK/Subaru. Other brands are pretty iffy with our cars.

EGR codes (P0400) do not usually affect the engine or drive-ability.

·
Registered
Pair O' Beans
86 Posts

·
Registered
'99 Legacy Outback, 2.5
21 Posts
I have a 99 and experience this same issue. It usually happens in 1st or 2nd around 2100 rpm. I find it happens a little more often when the engine isnt totally warmed up. Honestly, Im pretty used to it now and figure it wouldnt be a 14 year old car without a few quirks. A solution would be nice though!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Aftermarket?
Yes, aftermarket. Mastercraft. I know, I know, but the re manufactured Subaru one didn't fit for whatever reason.

I should also mention that the clutch was replaced at the time of the timing belt and head gaskets, but I don't know if the flywheel was resurfaced. It was done at a dealership, so I'm assuming they would've liked to charge them everything they could, but you know what they say about assumptions.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Yes, aftermarket. Mastercraft. I know, I know, but the re manufactured Subaru one didn't fit for whatever reason.

I should also mention that the clutch was replaced at the time of the timing belt and head gaskets, but I don't know if the flywheel was resurfaced. It was done at a dealership, so I'm assuming they would've liked to charge them everything they could, but you know what they say about assumptions.
Pretty sure dealer clutch protocol is replacing the flywheel given cars today don't have over built flywheels that have lots of extra metal on them that can be resurfaced etc. So safe guess the dealer replaced all the clutch parts which is pretty standard.

The non OEM axle is probably the cause very well known issue with non oem axles.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts