Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2013 O.B. and 2018 O.B.
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Living here in the PNW/Washington state. Last month or so on my 13 O.B. 2.5, parked inside unheated garage or outside with night temps in the low 30's or high 20's, when I first start the car, there is a very "slight knock" for a split second on start up. Car has 29k miles on it, always serviced on time, last serviced at dealership, oil change etc. fluid levels all up to full. Only knocks for split second and only when dead cold. Any advice from anyone on 13 or similar year 2.5?

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,491 Posts
a little noise on cold start up is regular stuff. the 0w20 they put in 2013 2.5 is very very very thin.
(maybe for fuel economy, but still like a oil thin enough for alaska based snow blowers, so it should not congeal enough to give you any problems at 20F).

however make sure you have enough oil on the dipstick.
but you have to check the dipstick on these regularly
as the FB25B engines of 2013-15 are known to consume oil and have a extended warranty to 100,000 miles. (subaru has replaced the shortblock part of the engine on some)

Reactions: Stevecapt

·
Registered
2013 Outback 3.6R Limited
10 Posts
Our 2013 3.6R does the same thing on cold starts. I've seen enough people mention it that it seems to be fairly normal.

·
Registered
2013 O.B. and 2018 O.B.
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your reply. Mine uses about a quart every 2.5k miles and I do check it regularly. I just bought a 18 Limited O.B. 2 days ago and plan on selling this one, 13 Premium with low miles and in very good condition. Need to wait until rain stops to take some photos and put on Craig's list. In my area there are tons of Subarus. Unofficially WA. state car. Can't say enough about using my 13 in winter and has taken me through snow and ice very well where many other makes are off the roads in ditches or parked until roads are clear.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,491 Posts
Thanks for your reply. Mine uses about a quart every 2.5k miles and I do check it regularly. I just bought a 18 Limited O.B. 2 days ago and plan on selling this one, 13 Premium with low miles and in very good condition. Need to wait until rain stops to take some photos and put on Craig's list. In my area there are tons of Subarus. Unofficially WA. state car. Can't say enough about using my 13 in winter and has taken me through snow and ice very well where many other makes are off the roads in ditches or parked until roads are clear.
wow, that seems like a lot of oil for a consumption case for subaru to fix that engine. (not that I read those threads much).

how much did the dealer offer you on trade? (you might ask carmax for a price for them to buy it off you).

·
Registered
2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited
181 Posts
What is your concern if you are selling it? Not being rude, I'm just curious (maybe you're a very considerate seller!)

If you aren't already running synthetic, make the switch. I like it for cold weather performance more so than high temp protection. Start at 5:32 if you're in a hurry but this is why I will never run conventional:

·
Registered
2013 O.B. and 2018 O.B.
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I "am" a considerate seller and just had the car serviced from dealership and have always run Pennzoil full synthetic. Have run synthetic oils on all my vehicles since it came out on the market.

·
Registered
121 Posts
We're in WA, but with a 2011 2.5 CVT(50k). Ours gets oil changes by the dealer, so it gets a synthetic blend. I don't like this oil as the car should get a full synthetic oil (recommended in factory manual Mobil 1 5w-30), but it does not knock or make noise on start up. The car's mpg went down when it started getting oil changes at the dealer. I had used the full synthetic when new, and it was fine then as well, noise wise.
You might consider checking the what weight/type oil. 0w oil is too thin for these cars. It's actuallly recommended for our Porsches and I don't use it (use 10w40 or 15w-50 in those, full syn). Good luck with it.
regards

1 - 8 of 8 Posts