Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I have a 2011 Outback 2.5i Premium with 20,800 miles. The car makes a slight rattle noise upon soft acceleration while in "Auto." The car does not make any noise at all when in "Manual" mode....very weird. The rattling noise occurs anywhere between 10-25mph. The noise stops when you feel the car shift out of the its initial gear. So, we hear it quite often while in stop and go traffic.

We brought the car to the dealer and they confirmed that they heard the noise in "auto" and also confirmed the sound is not heard in "manual" mode. The mechanic said he couldn't pinpoint the noise and right now they're considering it a non-issue.

I've gone under the car to see if the heat shield around the exhaust was loose...it wasn't and I've also looked for any loose piece of plastic under the car and hood....no luck.

Anybody have any areas to look into? I honestly can't tell if it's coming from the engine area or under the car.

Thanks,
Nick

·
Registered
344 Posts
It almost sounds like you have a problem with the transmission linkage rattling in one position and not in another.

For what it's worth, if the dealer is handling this problem as a "non-issue" and they really have not checked into your problem much, I'd take it to another dealership, or insist that your present dealer put in a little more effort into diagnosing the problem. You don't want the linkage to come loose or an important part to vibrate off or become disconnected as you drive down the road.....

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It almost sounds like you have a problem with the transmission linkage rattling in one position and not in another.

For what it's worth, if the dealer is handling this problem as a "non-issue" and they really have not checked into your problem much, I'd take it to another dealership, or insist that your present dealer put in a little more effort into diagnosing the problem. You don't want the linkage to come loose or an important part to vibrate off or become disconnected as you drive down the road.....
The dealer basically blew me off. They were very quick to call it a "characteristic."

Is there an easy way to see if the linkage is the problem? I plan on going to another dealer.

·
Registered
413 Posts
It's not the ABS check? That happens around that speed. I'm not sure why it wouldn't do it in manual mode, though.

Andrew

·
Registered
344 Posts
Nick, if you have a way to get underneath the car, you can check the linkage yourself. Perhaps you know a mechanic who will put the car on their rack for you and help you check it. Lastly, just going to another dealership may be the answer if yours "blew you off."

Good luck!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nick, if you have a way to get underneath the car, you can check the linkage yourself. Perhaps you know a mechanic who will put the car on their rack for you and help you check it. Lastly, just going to another dealership may be the answer if yours "blew you off."

Good luck!
Thanks again. I will see what I can do before I go to another dealer.

Nick

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The new dealer (Maple Hill Subaru of Kalamazoo, Michigan) was able to find the issue in 20 minutes. My previous dealer (Delta Subaru of Grand Rapids, Michigan) replaced my windshield wiper motor cover for its recall and forgot to install the piece of foam/weather stripping that goes between the motor cover and windshield glass. The plastic was rattling against the glass at low speeds due to the rpms/engine vibrations.

The new dealer is 45 minutes away, but they were much better to work with. They had to order the part and I will have to return, but I'm glad the rattle will be taken care of.

Nick

·
Registered
58 Posts
It seems to be a growing trend with most dealers now, I actually had a Lexus IS before this car and the dealer was the same way. Car would almost stall and occasionally grind on start, but because it never registered an error code they wouldn't do anything.

The Outback seems to have many "minor" rattles within the engine compartment. Mine makes a rattle upon acceleration, what almost sounds like a loose heat shield. I will have them check it on my next visit but not expecting much.

In your case the first dealer didn't seem to want to help much, and the 2nd didn't make it any better so if it is something you really would like to find the solution to you might have to get SOA involved...

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It seems to be a growing trend with most dealers now, I actually had a Lexus IS before this car and the dealer was the same way. Car would almost stall and occasionally grind on start, but because it never registered an error code they wouldn't do anything.

The Outback seems to have many "minor" rattles within the engine compartment. Mine makes a rattle upon acceleration, what almost sounds like a loose heat shield. I will have them check it on my next visit but not expecting much.

In your case the first dealer didn't seem to want to help much, and the 2nd didn't make it any better so if it is something you really would like to find the solution to you might have to get SOA involved...
I just emailed SOA, so I'm hoping that will go somewhere. I can honestly say that I haven't been impressed with any Tech yet.

Nick

·
Registered
344 Posts
Nick, I know being patient with this kind of a "pain" is difficult.......NOTHING is worse than a rattle which won't go away!

I used to be a repair technician, both in electronic equipment and with vehicles. Getting rid of a noise, especially an intermittent one, is really difficult. Hopefully your new dealer will be able to work things out for you in short order. Best of luck!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Nick, I know being patient with this kind of a "pain" is difficult.......NOTHING is worse than a rattle which won't go away!

I used to be a repair technician, both in electronic equipment and with vehicles. Getting rid of a noise, especially an intermittent one, is really difficult. Hopefully your new dealer will be able to work things out for you in short order. Best of luck!
The rattle in my Outback is repeatable. I just wish to find a service tech who wants to help solve the problem. I was a bit surprised that they haven't verified they fixed the problem before giving the car back to me.

Nick

·
Registered
72 Posts
What does the rattle sound like? Is it like a cricket chirping? I am having an issue with a chirp when I first press the accelerator (not all the time). Took it to the dealer and took a mechanic for a ride, he said the noise is from the timing belt and pulley and Subaru has acknowledged the noise and the fix is to replace the pulley with a different one. I'm taking it in later this week so I'm hoping that fixes it

1 - 20 of 46 Posts