Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Subaru Outback L.L. Bean Edition H6-3.0
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently had my car (2002 OBW H6-3.0) die while I was at a bank drive-thru. Ended up being part of the fuel pump was physically broken, but the mechanic was able to solder some metal parts together and save me $500.

Now that my car starts again and runs, I've noticed that when I go to start the car, the cranking when I turn the key seems slower/deeper in tone, and more hesitant to start in general.

I've also noticed that twice when turning the key over my trip meter reset as well as my clock (both in gauge cluster), but my radio presets, etc. were not affected.

I replaced the battery ~2-3 years ago with one from Costco and I believe I had the alternator replaced in 2015 or so (by a Napa shop with a Napa alternator, I believe. Didn't know there were issues with aftermarket alternators at the time).

I know I can get them tested at an auto parts shop, but I wanted to know if anyone thought it could be something else.

·
Registered
'03 outback limited, '01 Outback Limited, '01 Legacy L wagon, '96 Legacy Brighton wagon
1,671 Posts
Check the battery voltage both with the engine off and with it running. If the voltage is low in both cases (and while the probes are on the actual battery terminals, NOT the cable clamps) check again with the probes on the clamps. If the first check showed the voltage as being low, and the second as higher, try removing the cables, cleaning the terminals ad the clamps, reattach, and check the voltage again.

If these checks continue to show the voltage as low, with the engine running, place the positive probe directly on the main lug of the alternator, and the other on the engine block. If the alternator is good, it should show a least 13.5 volts ( and possibly up to around 14.3 or so). Suspicions then would be a bad cable or bad ground connections.

·
Registered
Outbacks, SVXs, XT6, 4Runner, Celica, Brat, E150s
479 Posts
Voltage is dropping too much during cranking. Likely battery. Could be starter drawing too many amps.

It might be caused/exacerbated by the extra cranking when your fuel pump was going out. It was not caused by the repair.

·
Registered
2003 OB-H6 VDC
66 Posts
Also check that the battery terminals themselves are tight. Could be the tech didn't tighten one up after replacing the pump.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts