Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a little off-road adventure last week getting to a favorite fishing hole. I basically stayed on the fire road the entire time but when I got to the area I had to make a U-turn which caused me to slightly drive over some star-thistle weeds. These are those dried weeds in the sunmmer that have little spikes all over their branches.

Anyway I didn't think much of it until my wife said the low tire light was on in the car after driving it to work the last two days. I checked last night and my right front is low by 10-15 psi. I'm thinking I have a slow leak? My car has 19K miles on it and the tires look about 85% still tread wise. If a tire shop can't find the leak is it still ture with Subaru's that if you hav one bad tire you still have to replace all four?

If the answer is yes, what is the most aggressive off-road tire I can get for my car. If I could fit a BFG Allterain I would, by I know they don't make them in our size, but I'm looking for as close as I can to something like that. I don't care much about affecting the gas milage.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Why wouldn't a tire shop be able to find the leak? You could give the tread a bath in soapy water if you like. Or maybe you're just looking for an excuse for new tires ;)

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5 Premium 6mt
187 Posts
As long as the puncture is not in the sidewall and the puncture is small like it is in your case, a tire shop can patch the tire without issue. You don't have to replace all of the tires just because you need a patch.

If you really want to find the leak yourself, fill a spray bottle with soapy water and spray the tire until the find the leak.

·
Registered
2012 limited, white, no moonroof or nav
1,696 Posts
Check the easy stuff first.......Take the valve cap off, and dab a bit of spit on the valve. You could just have a loose valve core.....

·
Registered
2012 Outback Premium 2.5 6 speed
44 Posts
Also, use the spray of soapy water around the area where the tire meets the rim...sometimes if you hit a nastly pothole, etc...you can break the seal around the rim and tire causing a slow leak....seems to happen more often with aluminum rims. good luck

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
this is going to be really simple:
1. find the hole and patch it
2. pull the tire, replace the valve stem, clean up the wheel surface, reinstall the tire.

done.

is this covered under warranty?

the mild offroading you're talking about is completely benign. these things easily take a far worse beating than that. i've never really gotten a flat tire from offroading and i've pounded mine. i did explode a tire one time in the snow, sliding into solid rock...but that's hardly comparable.

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,325 Posts
Get tire shop to find and patch leak.

As for off road tires, your only option really is the Geolander AT-S.

·
Registered
2011 Outback 3.6R Limited--Sky Blue Metallic
766 Posts
If a tire shop can't find the leak is it still ture with Subaru's that if you hav one bad tire you still have to replace all four?
No, you actually don't have to replace all 4 tires.
If you can locate a tire shop that has the equipment to "shave" a new tire to the same diameter as the 3 old tires, then you can indeed buy just one tire.

That being said, not that many tire shops have this type of equipment.

Generally-speaking, tire shops that cater to the performance crowd (rather than to the general public) are more likely to have this type of equipment. I suggest that you start with the Yellow Pages, and start calling tire shops in order to find a shop that can "shave" a new tire for you. This has the potential to save you several hundred $$
:29:

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
Highly doubt the star thistle we have here in CA - Invasive species by the way caused your car tire to be punctured. Freaking hate those things but even with bike tires a simple hard plastic liner inside the MT bike tire prevents flats. Been doing it for years even had to put some in our jogging stroller wife kept getting flats nearly every time she took it out.

Having said that the leak can be found and patched as long as its not in the side wall of the tire.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts