Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 585 Posts

·
Registered
White 2020 Touring XT
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

A few times folks have recommended things on the board and also asked me about things from photos I've posted, so I thought I'd start a thread on small tweaks and accessories you can do with your Outback. Here's a small list of things I've done to get started. Post yours!

Replaced mirror / "beauty" lights with these LEDs. They're now ULTRA bright, almost too much so - at night they're blindingly bright. We'll see what my wife says :) See photo below of stock (left) vs LED (right).

Replaced the rear hatch light with this LED. It's very bright in comparison, and at night it's appropriately bright -- it illuminates the whole hatch easily. Very nice and recommended.

Our kids are constantly kicking the back of our seats and getting them filthy, so we put these seatback protectors on the driver and passenger seats. Now no more scuffs and dirt/mud on the back of our seats, and these are easily cleanable.

Subaru has an OEM cargo basket, but it's kinda low quality and doesn't fold as nicely as some of the after-market types. We bought this one, which is really nice - you can use half and fold the other half, or have both halves open. It has a non-slip bottom that doesn't slide around in the back of our Outback (we have the OEM all weather mat back there). We keep a change of kids clothes in it, a blanket, and a compact car vacuum.

And speaking of compact car vacuums, I took a chance on this one despite the warning that it doesn't work with Subarus (a few reviews said it did). It works great in our 2020 Touring XT -- I tried the glove box cigarette outlet as well as the one in the trunk. It's really compact, comes with a carrying bag, and has lots of suction. Totally recommend it -- just used it this afternoon to vacuum out lots of fall leaves that have been tracked into the car.

Something that's annoyed us about the car is when you connect two smartphones to the USB outlets in the front, they battle over which one owns the Android Auto connection. It's pretty annoying. The way to prevent it is to use a data-blocking cable that only has charging capability. We got a couple of these and stashed them in the glove box so we can be sure that when we only want to charge, that's all that happens.

And finally, we put a Bump Shox Max license plate frame on our car to offer some protection when street parking -- it helps when cars are using your bumper to navigate into a spot while parallel parking. It doesn't protect against everything, but it does a good job against a good portion of it. See below.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited
35 Posts
Thank you for the link for the LED.. I just did that upgrade this morning and you aren't kidding.. I almost got blinded when I first turned it on..

·
Registered
233 Posts
Hi all,

A few times folks have recommended things on the board and also asked me about things from photos I've posted, so I thought I'd start a thread on small tweaks and accessories you can do with your Outback. Here's a small list of things I've done to get started. Post yours!

Replaced mirror / "beauty" lights with these LEDs. They're now ULTRA bright, almost too much so - at night they're blindingly bright. We'll see what my wife says :) See photo below of stock (left) vs LED (right).
View attachment 473703

Replaced the rear hatch light with this LED. It's very bright in comparison, and at night it's appropriately bright -- it illuminates the whole hatch easily. Very nice and recommended.
View attachment 473704

Our kids are constantly kicking the back of our seats and getting them filthy, so we put these seatback protectors on the driver and passenger seats. Now no more scuffs and dirt/mud on the back of our seats, and these are easily cleanable.

Subaru has an OEM cargo basket, but it's kinda low quality and doesn't fold as nicely as some of the after-market types. We bought this one, which is really nice - you can use half and fold the other half, or have both halves open. It has a non-slip bottom that doesn't slide around in the back of our Outback (we have the OEM all weather mat back there). We keep a change of kids clothes in it, a blanket, and a compact car vacuum.

And speaking of compact car vacuums, I took a chance on this one despite the warning that it doesn't work with Subarus (a few reviews said it did). It works great in our 2020 Touring XT -- I tried the glove box cigarette outlet as well as the one in the trunk. It's really compact, comes with a carrying bag, and has lots of suction. Totally recommend it -- just used it this afternoon to vacuum out lots of fall leaves that have been tracked into the car.

Something that's annoyed us about the car is when you connect two smartphones to the USB outlets in the front, they battle over which one owns the Android Auto connection. It's pretty annoying. The way to prevent it is to use a data-blocking cable that only has charging capability. We got a couple of these and stashed them in the glove box so we can be sure that when we only want to charge, that's all that happens.

And finally, we put a Bump Shox Max license plate frame on our car to offer some protection when street parking -- it helps when cars are using your bumper to navigate into a spot while parallel parking. It doesn't protect against everything, but it does a good job against a good portion of it. See below.

View attachment 473711
Thanks for those items. I'll look into the hatch LED light and the cargo foldable basket. I will probably order the backseat covers from Subaru cause I have two large rotties. They seem to fit snugly compared to others I've seen. Plus some dealers sell them online cheaper than they list on website at local dealers.

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
If the vanity lights are too bright, you can rotate them a bit to reduce the brightness (they are directional). Most of those little bulbs are really too bright to be used as a vanity mirror light, so some adjustment may help.

·
Registered
White 2020 Touring XT
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What’s the easiest way to pop those visor lights off?
I lifted the plastic a bit with my pointer finger as shown in the pic, then slipped a flat head screw driver in between and twisted. It pops off easily and then will click right back in.

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT, 2013 Outback Lim SAP 270K, 2003 Outback Lim MT 2.5L, 241K..
2,075 Posts
I ordered this silicone license plate frame off someones recommendation here, but it seems its never going to get to me. :(

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT
2,020 Posts
I ordered this silicone license plate frame off someones recommendation here, but it seems its never going to get to me. :(

View attachment 473918
Probably me :)

I've had packages show up as lost this past month on Amazon but they do show up after a couple of days. The first one that got lost, I requested and got a refund, ordered another of the same item and had both show up the same day.

1 - 20 of 585 Posts