Subaru Outback Forums banner

521 - 540 of 615 Posts

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
The brush I have used for over 10 years is the Montana one:

Montana Original Tri-Angle Boar’s Hair Car Wash Brush is a soft, gentle car wash brush for cars, trucks, SUVs, and boats. Auto wash brush boar hair it's been perfect.

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Outback Onyx XT
66 Posts
Final days of the REI member sale. Wife OK'd the Yakima Offgrid, extension and locks. This is what will be on the XT 24x7 and ill swap to the Thule Motion for traveling with the family.

No pics, still shipping.
And Pics. I like it. 30 min to assemble. All torqued down. Solidly built.

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Outback Onyx XT
66 Posts
Looks sharp. Seems "rigth sized" for the Outback too. Let us know if you notice any wind noise or significant MPG drop.
Definitely looks good with the extension. I think without extension would look good on crosstrek but too small for OB.

I do notice wind noise. Took it out for a bit and above 40mph I can hear it. Not really something that will bother me. Plus I'l can just turn the radio up if needed. This does have the air deflector on it and I think that is where the wind noise comes from. Could probably take it off and be much quieter but again...meh.

Wife likes it too and now wants one for her crosstrek. I'm happy with it

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
Love this suggestion, thanks. To dry the big ‘ol thing, what do you use? Chamois or something else? Thanks in advance!
This is somewhat controversial but I use the throw and drag technique with a lightweight waffle weave microfiber towel that's 47" long and 24" wide.

The throw and drag technique is no longer recommended by purists who feel that a car should be dabbed dry. To me that's not practical for the roof of an SUV, so I hang on to one end of the towel while throwing it across the roof and pulling it back. It works great on the roof, the hood, and the windshield. The towel is light and thin enough that you can wring it out, it's not too heavy when wet, and leaves the car spotless.

Amazon.com: SGCB Automotive Drying Waffle Weave Microfiber Towel Large, 24”x47” Car Wash Detailing Towel Silky Soft Edge Lint Streak Scratch Free Waffle Windshield Towel Glass Cleaning Cloth for Mirror LCD Screen: Automotive

·
Registered
4 Posts
This is somewhat controversial but I use the throw and drag technique with a lightweight waffle weave microfiber towel that's 47" long and 24" wide.
I wouldn't say that's controversial at all. I think most people still employ the same technique with microfiber towels. I may dab a little now only because I started using an electric leaf blower to dry after final rinse. Personally trying to go as touch-less as possible to avoid micro scratches and swirl marks on the new vehicle.

But when resorting to microfiber towels for drying, my personal favorites are Griot's Garage PFM edgeless drying towel and the Luxury Microfiber Sucker which I find the most absorbent. The Rag Co Eagle edgeless are also really nice when doing a quick detail or rinseless wash.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Definitely looks good with the extension. I think without extension would look good on crosstrek but too small for OB.

I do notice wind noise. Took it out for a bit and above 40mph I can hear it. Not really something that will bother me. Plus I'l can just turn the radio up if needed. This does have the air deflector on it and I think that is where the wind noise comes from. Could probably take it off and be much quieter but again...meh.

Wife likes it too and now wants one for her crosstrek. I'm happy with it
Wrap a couple bungee cords in a spiral around those two crossbars on your basket and I’ll bet you’ll notice a difference in the wind noise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 Limted XT Black/Ivory
503 Posts

The throw and drag technique is no longer recommended by purists who feel that a car should be dabbed dry. To me that's not practical for the roof of an SUV, so I hang on to one end of the towel while throwing it across the roof and pulling it back. It works great on the roof, the hood, and the windshield. The towel is light and thin enough that you can wring it out, it's not too heavy when wet, and leaves the car spotless.

Amazon.com: SGCB Automotive Drying Waffle Weave Microfiber Towel Large, 24”x47” Car Wash Detailing Towel Silky Soft Edge Lint Streak Scratch Free Waffle Windshield Towel Glass Cleaning Cloth for Mirror LCD Screen: Automotive
I have one of those Absorber chamois cloths and do the same thing. There’s not one hairline scratch on the black car. As long as the drying cloth is clean, you’re fine.

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Outback Onyx XT Autumn Green
60 Posts
Finally got all of my stuff in. The wife and I decided to take the car out for a long drive just as the San Gabriel Mountains in SoCal got a nice dusting of snow. I was extremely impressed with how the OB handled the weather! Then next day it was sunny and warm Spent all day with a full detail and installing some of my new goodies. Installed the Yakima Load warrior, emblem overlays, smoked side marker and yellow fog light vinyl overlays. Loving it so far!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Finally got all of my stuff in. The wife and I decided to take the car out for a long drive just as the San Gabriel Mountains in SoCal got a nice dusting of snow. I was extremely impressed with how the OB handled the weather! Then next day it was sunny and warm Spent all day with a full detail and installing some of my new goodies. Installed the Yakima Load warrior, emblem overlays, smoked side marker and yellow fog light vinyl overlays. Loving it so far!
I've been eyeing the Yakima Load warrior. How's the wind noise with it? Noticing any significant MPG changes?

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Outback Onyx XT Autumn Green
60 Posts
I've been eyeing the Yakima Load warrior. How's the wind noise with it? Noticing any significant MPG changes?
I have only had it on for two days and about 40 miles. I will let you know about the MPG difference if I see one. Wind noise was hard to gauge. When I drove it yesterday, it was pretty noticeable but I will attribute that to it being extremely windy. When I was driving with the wind at my tail, I could barely tell it was there. I haven't gotten it up to highway speeds yet, however I don't think it is anything the stereo can't drown out. I would have liked the longer version, however my wife always.....ALWAYS.....uses the sunroof, so she didn't want it to extend over on day to day drives. I purchased the extension so I can lengthen the basket when we go on long trips. Plus I liked the more rugged look of the load warrior. ETrailer.com had a great price and shipping was super quick.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT
118 Posts
Put in my Proclip phone mount and absolutely love it. Bought a grey one foot charging cable on amazon that matches the interior of the onyx darn near perfect. Went with the one foot because my OCD kicks in with the extra cable hanging down. Yakima Load Warrior basket
should be delivered on friday along with my precut smoked amber headlight reflector and yellow fog light vinyls. Will post pictures.
You happen to have a link to that cable handy would you?

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT
15 Posts
How is everyone mounting their rear license plates? I'm driving myself crazy deciding how I want to do it and not risking scratching the hatch.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT
2,576 Posts
How is everyone mounting their rear license plates? I'm driving myself crazy deciding how I want to do it and not risking scratching the hatch.
I am using these silicone frames, they are great to prevent scratches on the sheet metal. They also look very minimalist, so that's a big positive for me as well.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT
15 Posts
I am using these silicone frames, they are great to prevent scratches on the sheet metal. They also look very minimalist, so that's a big positive for me as well.
Thanks! That's exactly what I'm looking for.

Reactions: chvvkumar
521 - 540 of 615 Posts