Subaru Outback Forums banner

561 - 580 of 597 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Outback XT Touring
20 Posts
For those interested in USB cables for the center console, I bought these Aukey right angle cables. I got the 3' Lightning cables. They also come in USB C flavor.

My review: When plugged into the USB A in the car (the white block in the USB A is on top), the cord will point to the right. I'm fine with this, but didn't see anyone else specify that information.
The lightning plus is also right angle, which I thought would be good, but what I've found is that when holding the phone, I'm used to the cord going straight down. When the cord goes off to one side, it interferes with my pinky finger which is balancing the phone. So it's really awkward to hole the phone now. Also, it seems to make the lightning plus wiggle left to right, which worries me about damaging my port over time. That said, the cable build quality seems good, and it includes a velcro strap to wrap up excess cord. 3' is plenty for front seat use, and i have most of it wrapped up anyway. Don't know if I'd go shorter, just so I can bring it closer to my body if I want.

I'm going to see if keeping the right angle lightning plus is beneficial when using the ProClip mount (for CarPlay), but if I have enough clearance for a straight lightning plug, I'll likely switch. Here's one I'm considering:
Not sure if this could work for you, but I’ll share my iPhone 11 Pro Max setup. It has an 8-in lightning cable with straight male connectors. This setup works just fine for me. Note that I did cut a small rectangular piece of no-slip pad just because I didn't want it to slide when I made turns. But it really didn’t slip before this mod. The short cable also helps stabilizes it in place. Amazon doesn’t carry these 8 inches anymore it seems.

Attachments

·
Registered
Onyx
75 Posts
Not sure if this could work for you, but I’ll share my iPhone 11 Pro Max setup. It has an 8-in lightning cable with straight male connectors. This setup works just fine for me. Note that I did cut a small rectangular piece of no-slip pad just because I didn't want it to slide when I made turns. But it really didn’t slip before this mod. The short cable also helps stabilizes it in place. Amazon doesn’t carry these 8 inches anymore it seems.
I'm happy with these two cables.

Amazon.com: Oxsubor SuperSpeed USB 3.0 Male to Female Extension Data Cable Left and Right Angle 2PCS (20CM,8IN): Computers & Accessories

Pros
  • Super quick one handed connect/disconnect
  • 1.6' cable is nice in combination with the adapter, I can hand hold phone but not much excess
  • works with CarPlay, usually
  • If you like the magnet approach (I do) it's a convenient way to charge the phone everywhere, not just the car.
Cons
  • Occasionally I get the "car play cannot connect" message and have to unplug, replug.
  • If you're holding your phone it's easy to accidentally disconnect the cable
  • To use a wired headset or regular lightning cable you have to pull out the magnetic plug.
  • Cable has an LED which I don't like in the bedroom - nail polish.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I’m putting my Tuxmats in and I’ve got a question. They cover all over the place but the fit isn’t very tight? That or I’m installing them wrong.

For example, here are a few pics from the backseat. There are “bubbles” along the edge where the Tuxmat doesn’t hug the interior of the car. Is anyone else experiencing this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
28 Posts
I bought this same one but havn't gotten around to installing it. Surprisingly, in 6 mos of carring the keys around in my pockets ( pants or jacket), I still havn't accidently acctivated a button. I think the fob is pretty well designed with the flush button design.
I bought one (actually two) to put on my keyfobs. Be prepared to work VERY HARD to get it on the fob! I'm not sure if it'll actually help with the accidentally pushing buttons while in my pocket, but I'll see. I'll still keep my eyes open for some sort of hard case.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
I bought one (actually two) to put on my keyfobs. Be prepared to work VERY HARD to get it on the fob! I'm not sure if it'll actually help with the accidentally pushing buttons while in my pocket, but I'll see. I'll still keep my eyes open for some sort of hard case.
They are difficult to get on, but worth the effort IMO. They are initially grabby during/after installation, but a week later, they aren't so tactile. Do let us know if you find something you like better!

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited XT Black on Ivory
1,334 Posts
There are several that should work on Amazon. The question then becomes how hard is it is to operate the fob once it's installed.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I really don't need much access to the fob buttons themselves. I just need the fob to be close to the car for me to unlock the car and start/operate it. I had looked at the link you showed but it seemed it would be a little large to put in my front pants pocket.

The second looked a little closer but I had one similar for my legacy and, as the leather relaxed, it did not keep the buttons from being accidentally pressed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
They are difficult to get on, but worth the effort IMO. They are initially grabby during/after installation, but a week later, they aren't so tactile. Do let us know if you find something you like better!
I also bought the jacket that you guys are referring to and then bought these ones, recommended on this thread: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071FQ4WF3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They do fit the new and newer Outbacks, despite what the Amazon fit guide says. I really like this one!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I’m putting my Tuxmats in and I’ve got a question. They cover all over the place but the fit isn’t very tight? That or I’m installing them wrong.

For example, here are a few pics from the backseat. There are “bubbles” along the edge where the Tuxmat doesn’t hug the interior of the car. Is anyone else experiencing this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I just received mine as well and have the same problem, except I couldn’t even get it as snug as yours. I am going to reach out to Tuxmats this week and see what they say.

Front mats fit perfectly. It’s only the back row that seems to have issues.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Mine fit ok. Idk
Out of curiosity, what is the SKU number on your back row Tuxmats? Mine is 546. (It's on a tag attached to the middle area that tucks into the back seats.)

I just received my mats last week, after they had been out of stock for a month or more. I'm wondering if I either got the wrong mats or if there's some variance in the latest manufacturing run.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Out of curiosity, what is the SKU number on your back row Tuxmats? Mine is 546. (It's on a tag attached to the middle area that tucks into the back seats.)

I just received my mats last week, after they had been out of stock for a month or more. I'm wondering if I either got the wrong mats or if there's some variance in the latest manufacturing run.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Touring XT
52 Posts
I also bought the jacket that you guys are referring to and then bought these ones, recommended on this thread: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071FQ4WF3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They do fit the new and newer Outbacks, despite what the Amazon fit guide says. I really like this one!
I just got mine. Perfect fit for the 2020 Outback key fob. Easy install. Good button protection that will hopefully keep the hatch closed when I want it to stay closed - no more surprises in the morning.

·
Registered
2020 Outback XT Touring
20 Posts
Sure wish there were retaining pins for the passenger side OEM all-weather floormats. Such an annoyance keeping them in the correct position.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited XT Black on Ivory
1,334 Posts
Rolled out the XT today for a bath and detail spritz. While it was clean, I figured it was a good time to put the Moon Roof Wind Deflector on. I’m posting it here since I could find very little info / pics of this factory accessory when I was researching it.
Anyway, install was very easy. Maybe 20 min total and that is with measuring everything 3-4 times. The only “hint” I’ll give is to repeatedly run a credit card under the seal as you tighten the clamps in order to keep the edge from folding under ( like it wants too.). I did not use the 3M tape strips supplied as I felt the hooks were secure enough and I wanted to option to remove the deflector should I want to clean under it (or remove it forever.)

I didn’t take DB measurements but after an around town and highway test drive, I do think it cuts down on noise/buffeting when the roof is ¾ or fully open. There is still some noise but it’s notably better. I’ll report later if I notice a gas mileage reduction (or any other detraction.)

Appearance wise, the jury is still out. I think it looks “OK” but I did like the clean roofline without it too. It does steel some light out of the roof but not too much. I figure I’ll test drive it for the summer and decide if it stays then.

Before pics:

After install:

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited XT, Abyss Blue Pearl
136 Posts
Thank you for the link for the LED.. I just did that upgrade this morning and you aren't kidding.. I almost got blinded when I first turned it on..
Picked up my 2020 Limited XT on Monday. LEDs arrive tomorrow for dome and hatch lights :)

·
Registered
2020 Outback XT Touring - Abyss Blue Pearl
28 Posts
Rolled out the XT today for a bath and detail spritz. While it was clean, I figured it was a good time to put the Moon Roof Wind Deflector on. I’m posting it here since I could find very little info / pics of this factory accessory when I was researching it.
On my Infiniti there were rain drains installed around the moonroof, and after installing the moonroof deflector they would get clogged with gunk. The genius who designed them decided that when the drains get clogged they would overflow into the passenger area. Yes, really.

i hope such manufacturing idiocy isn't evident in other vehicles, but it may be worth checking.

561 - 580 of 597 Posts