Subaru Outback Forums banner
1061 - 1080 of 1129 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Touring 2.5L
24 Posts

Hey all, I posted this in another thread, but thought it might deserve some attention here as well since it's where most of the data came from. I collected all the mods and accessories (that I personally thought were useful) as suggested by all of you from this forum and put it into a neat little spreadsheet to organize it all. Each item should have a backlink to a post or thread where it was suggested.

As a new Outback owner, this helped me understand exactly what I wanted to buy based on all the great ideas found in the disparate threads of this forum, especially in this massive 53-pager! I hope it's useful to someone else.

Click here to view. Save a copy and start editing your own copy if you'd like:
Product Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6R w/Eyesight
39 Posts

Hey all, I posted this in another thread, but thought it might deserve some attention here as well since it's where most of the data came from. I collected all the mods and accessories (that I personally thought were useful) as suggested by all of you from this forum and put it into a neat little spreadsheet to organize it all. Each item should have a backlink to a post or thread where it was suggested.

As a new Outback owner, this helped me understand exactly what I wanted to buy based on all the great ideas found in the disparate threads of this forum, especially in this massive 53-pager! I hope it's useful to someone else.

Click here to view. Save a copy and start editing your own copy if you'd like:
View attachment 528773
thanks for putting this together - much appreciated... some of these will be useful for our Outback and others for our new Ascent when it arrives

·
Registered
2022 OB Tour 2.5 "OB3",Green, 20 mm RSB, Vred HighTrac tires, (3rd OB). City car is Kia Niro PHEV
660 Posts
Great list, exceptionally useful; thank you! Looks like you have been very busy the past few days; I appreciate the effort it must have taken to put this together!

Having just brought home a 2022 OB Touring, I’m very interested in this list. Would be great if you had a rating 1-3 rating system of how helpfully each item is (1 not so hot, 2 pretty good, 3 huge improvement). I’m particularly interested the wireless car play link’s functionality, and would love to see your in Homebrew Footwell system (description parts & install) if you every install it.

·
Registered
2020 Touring 2.5L
24 Posts
Would be great if you had a rating 1-3 rating system of how helpfully each item is (1 not so hot, 2 pretty good, 3 huge improvement).
That’s a good idea! Makes sense to reflect on it post-installation since some of these mods may sound better on paper than in practice.

I’ll add a column and will fill it in as I go, but of course it’ll just be my opinion only.

I’m particularly interested the wireless car play link’s functionality
I feel a bit mixed about it. On one hand I like the fact that I can jump in my car with my phone in my pocket and 85% of the time it’ll connect immediately. When it works, the seamless experience sure feels like that’s how it should have been implemented by the OEM infotainment system in the first place

But on the other hand, I like the 100% certainty that comes with using a cable outright. Even though it may not look as clean or feel modern.

3 out of 5 stars from me, especially considering the price I paid ($120).

·
Registered
2020 Limited 2.5i
204 Posts
I’m particularly interested the wireless car play link’s functionality,
I purchased mine a month ago on a BF deal for about $85 and, so far, I'm pretty happy with it. I use it all the time around the city but plug my phone in if I'm taking a longer trip. It's not perfect. I've had a few disconnects, which I occasionally have with the phone plugged in too, and three or four momentary audio dropouts. Mostly, it works just like it would if the phone was plugged in. Since I don't normally plug my phone in around town it's been very nice at times to have CP functionality when I didn't think I was going to need it. I've heard some people complain about lag but I haven't experienced this at all. I'm thinking about buying another for my wife's car.

·
Registered
2021 MGM Outback 2.5i Premium with Tungsten Grey seats
3,567 Posts
Has anyone found a cupholder adapter that works with our cupholders and fits a 32oz Nalgene bottle? My parents got me one over the holidays (I appreciate the thought, but one of the reviews actually says it doesn't work in the Outback) but the part that goes into the car's cupholder is too short and the unit just lifts out when I try to remove the bottle.

I searched the thread but didn't see too many, and Amazon doesn't list too many, and the reviews of the ONE they say fits the Outback aren't that great.

·
Registered
2021 Outback Premium, Crystal White Pearl
13 Posts
Has anyone found a cupholder adapter that works with our cupholders and fits a 32oz Nalgene bottle? My parents got me one over the holidays (I appreciate the thought, but one of the reviews actually says it doesn't work in the Outback) but the part that goes into the car's cupholder is too short and the unit just lifts out when I try to remove the bottle.

I searched the thread but didn't see too many, and Amazon doesn't list too many, and the reviews of the ONE they say fits the Outback aren't that great.

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
Odd, that looks identical to the one I had but it didn't seem to work.

This is the one I had and couldn't get to work with the base fully expanded since it didn't seem to reach into the actual "well" of the cupholder in the car, there is also a review that says it didn't work in a 2020 Outback - Amazon.com

·
Premium Member
2022 Wilderness
410 Posts
I’m particularly interested the wireless car play link’s functionality
There are a few items that I have noticed when using the CarLinKit (I have v2.0) versus a wire:
  1. Only a wired connection allows navigation directions to be forwarded it to the Central Information Display (CID) in the gauge cluster. When connected wirelessly, this functionality is lost.
  2. Speed sensitive safety features in CarPlay are disabled when connected wirelessly. For example, when connected via a wire and travelling at a speed above approximately 15 km/h (or 10 MPH), in the Apple Music app, only the top 5-7 selections are shown. All further options are replaced with a "Ask Siri to play more from [playlist, artist, album, etc.]. When connected via CarLinKit wirelessly, speed information is not transmitted from the adaptor to your phone, so these safety features may not trigger. Apple Maps is also affected by this. If you use Guides that have a long list, the list will be shortened similar to the way Apple Music does it. Going above 15km/h or 10 MPH also disables the touchscreen keyboard and forces you to use Siri for any inputs while driving in Maps. You may see this as a positive or negative. Obviously with this feature disabled, you have more functionality, but it may cause prolonged diversion of attention away from the road.
  3. Connection times via CarLinKit vs wired is about double. Expect to wait 7-10 seconds for a connection instead of 3-5.
    1. That being said, initial connections to the CarLinKit I have found to fail if the dongle is powered off then on in quick succession. For example, when you turn off your car to fill up gas, and 5 minutes later you turn it back on, I find the connection doesn't always work. Its almost as if the dongle wasn't "shut down" properly. Unplugging the dongle, waiting 20-30 seconds and plugging it back in generally fixes this issue.
  4. Battery life on my iPhone drains significantly faster when using wireless CarPlay vs a wire (when my phone actually gets charged). Granted, you may not notice this if you are taking shorter trips (10 min or less). As a matter of fact, I found wireless CarPlay's convenience to shine on these short trips as I do not have to worry about removing my phone from my pocket and forgetting it in the car. However, on longer trips, I find it largely beneficial to have the phone connected via a wire. This way, when I arrive at my destination, I have a charged device. Plus if I'm travelling further, I can take advantage of having navigation in the CID as mentioned in point 1.
I hope this helps!

Reactions: SilverOnyx

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
Battery life on my iPhone drains significantly faster when using wireless CarPlay vs a wire
This alone is why I'm not rushing out to grab a wireless AndroidAuto adapter for connecting my Pixel. If I need to plug in to charge anyway I might as well just use the cable connection.

·
Premium Member
2022 Wilderness
410 Posts
This alone is why I'm not rushing out to grab a wireless AndroidAuto adapter for connecting my Pixel. If I need to plug in to charge anyway I might as well just use the cable connection.
I 100% agree with you there. BUT... My commute to work is 800 metres. That's 0.8 km or 0.5 miles. During the winter months, I drive to work. I also live in a small town where the drive to almost anything in town is less than 10 minutes

Having CarPlay automatically connect with the phone in my pocket and getting out knowing the phone is with me (I do have a habit of forgetting my phone in the car) is really convenient. on short drives less than 10 minutes, the battery impact is minimal and can be overlooked.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
  1. Battery life on my iPhone drains significantly faster when using wireless CarPlay vs a wire (when my phone actually gets charged). Granted, you may not notice this if you are taking shorter trips (10 min or less). As a matter of fact, I found wireless CarPlay's convenience to shine on these short trips as I do not have to worry about removing my phone from my pocket and forgetting it in the car. However, on longer trips, I find it largely beneficial to have the phone connected via a wire. This way, when I arrive at my destination, I have a charged device. Plus if I'm travelling further, I can take advantage of having navigation in the CID as mentioned in point 1.
I hope this helps!
The wireless charger resolves this problem, too.

·
Premium Member
2022 Wilderness
410 Posts
  1. Battery life on my iPhone drains significantly faster when using wireless CarPlay vs a wire (when my phone actually gets charged). Granted, you may not notice this if you are taking shorter trips (10 min or less). As a matter of fact, I found wireless CarPlay's convenience to shine on these short trips as I do not have to worry about removing my phone from my pocket and forgetting it in the car. However, on longer trips, I find it largely beneficial to have the phone connected via a wire. This way, when I arrive at my destination, I have a charged device. Plus if I'm travelling further, I can take advantage of having navigation in the CID as mentioned in point 1.
I hope this helps!
The wireless charger resolves this problem, too.
I'm glad that works for you. When combined with wireless CarPlay, I found using the wireless charger will overheat my phone and cause it to shut down to prevent damage. Wireless CarPlay already causes my phone to warm up on longer trips. The added heat generated by wireless charging seems to be too much for my iPhone 12 mini.

Reactions: SilverOnyx
1061 - 1080 of 1129 Posts