Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We did the timing belt, the tensioners were fidget spinners in terms of spinny ability. OEM radio installed, decided to get a 2001 forester 6 disc in dash+tape, Friend of mine is really into tapes and convinced me to keep it so he can make mix tapes for me, plus aux adapter via tape works just fine imho. I have yet to install the new window gussets and new speakers, waiting for a warmer day to do that. We're going to be doing the front brakes later this month, and fixing the missing splash guard, need to get it up in the air for my tools to get on it. Friend that is helping me with it has a spare EJ251 head set, and will be sending it to be machined, he will port and polish it himself and get it professionally machined so we can do the head gasket upgrade a lot easier, and potentially more performance. I also upgraded the shifter knob to the later WRX style one, it has a base on it that the doughnut of the OEM leather shift boot fits on perfectly, no zip ties needed. Will be looking into what options my car is pre-wired for, i am already upgrading to variable intermittent wipers.

Attachments

·
Registered
01 OBW VDC AWD H6-3.0
114 Posts
I found somewhere, maybe Simply Speakers, where you can fix the speakers with a foam kit. I repaired 4 12" woofers for my home stereo with such kits and turned out great. I'll be looking to do the same for my '01.

Sent from my '01 OBW VDC 3.0 H-6, shhh, don't tell anybody.

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,705 Posts
not really good for the idlers to spin like skate wheels. And the toothed idler is especially prone to seizing or puking its bearings. belts rarely break, idlers fail.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I found somewhere, maybe Simply Speakers, where you can fix the speakers with a foam kit. I repaired 4 12" woofers for my home stereo with such kits and turned out great. I'll be looking to do the same for my '01.

Sent from my '01 OBW VDC 3.0 H-6, shhh, don't tell anybody.
i got a set of rockford fosgate ones i am going to install. 80 bucks for 4 or em on sale.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
not really good for the idlers to spin like skate wheels. And the toothed idler is especially prone to seizing or puking its bearings. belts rarely break, idlers fail.
yeah, they were last done at 105, it was at 268k. We used the gates kit for the EJ252, only thing i forgot to grab was a new thermostat, the old one we put back in stuck closed...and all the auto parts stores closed for the day at 7pm in the area. My first time doing this sort of thing, friend forgave me, since i'm used to fords with timing chains and easily accessed right ontop of the motor thermostats.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My 2001's Update

Sorry about the non posting for a while, just not much has happened since my last check in.

I got a new spindle for the passenger side, and a new brake caliper since the one i had done at firestone failed over a year later, taking the rotor with it. New ball joint installed (bolt sheared off, had to get a new spindle) New front CV axles.

Only issues left at 275,000 miles are the new cam position sensor error, which i am going to fix as soon as the part comes in along with the crank sensor. And i may have an Evap issue, i am going to replace the charcoal canister with an OEM one that i got off the parts website. I also have to fix my a/c but a friend can do that this summer while i vacation in florida.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts