Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2017 Outback has a keyless start or "smart" keyfob. I'd like a duplicate fob, but only need the lock/unlock options for an automation project that will ensure the car is locked every night (it is parked on the street). There's a significant difference in price between the smart and standard keyfobs (the one with the key included), so would like the cheaper option if it will work and can be programmed to my Outback. Does anyone know if the standard version will work? I've asked my local dealer and Subaru of America and neither of them could answer.

Can this one...

Be used in place of this one?

Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Limited, Ice Silver/Black
I thought keyless had an auto-lock time setting? Maybe not, mine's keyed.

Registered
21 Touring XT & 21 Taco TRD Sport Premium
I'm pretty sure the two keys are not interchangeable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
18 Outback 3.6r Touring
I think you (dealer or locksmith) could program the buttons to lock and unlock but that would be all it could do.

Registered
2015 3.6R Limited w/ES
I'm pretty confident the answer will be no, those are not interchangeable.

...I'd like a duplicate fob...
All push-button cars are supplied with at least 2 prox keys (fobs). If you're down to just one, be extremely careful with that fob (without it, there's no simple way to add new fobs). If it's lost or damaged, you might get stuck with a very costly repair to re-key the car (last I heard it was a dealer-only ordeal - not sure if that's still the case however). Always have at least one back up fob stored in a safe place.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts