Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Limited, Special Appearance Package, Brilliant Brown Pearl, Saddle Brown Leather, HK Audio, Moonroof, Navigation
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the "smart" system installed yesterday and it works as described. $323 and $126 to install. The install took 2.5 hours. Nate Wade Subaru in SLC, UT has a great wating area with MACs, LCDS, cable, juice, coffee, soda, apples, bananas, cookies, brownies, and pop corn. Too bad they didnt have a bar with some IPA!! They are the #1 volume dealer in the USA---good outfit. They have some sweet vintage Subi's as well---the 1969 360 Van rocks!

I also received Dr. Colorchip like touch-up paint pen/do it yourself for free. Didnt know they were going to give it to me for free but they do with everyone (with your 1st free oil change) from what I understand. Outstanding service!!

The "smart" remote start only works with the 2013's with the special appearence package (SAP) (push button start) and the 400ft one (requires a seperate farb) and will not work on the SAP models. So those with anything other than the push button start must get the additional farb (which I didnt want regardless). Granted distance (400 ft) would be nice but line of sight and obstacals come into play. 75ft is fine for my use for the smart start. I dont know if the other models of Outbacks allow you to leave your farb in your pocket and just put your hand in the door handle (dont have to touch anything) and the drivers door unlocks and when exiting, push the button the door and it locks. Cool features regardless because I never have to take my keys in/out of my pocket or jacket.

I also added the moon roof deflector (makes a big difference) and the hood/bug defector a few weeks back.

Tried to test drive the Crosstrek but they are out of them---they cant keep up with the demand. Girlfriend is thinking of getting one. I have seen them up close and like them.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,016 Posts
I had the "smart" system installed yesterday and it works as described. $323 and $126 to install. The install took 2.5 hours.
$126 for 2.5 hours is cheeeeep.

....I also added the moon roof deflector (makes a big difference) and the hood/bug defector a few weeks back.
+1. I really like the looks of the two together.

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Limited, Special Appearance Package, Brilliant Brown Pearl, Saddle Brown Leather, HK Audio, Moonroof, Navigation
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was at the shop from 2pm to 445pm and was quoted $141 for install and $355 for the smart remote but I have a VIP card that gets me 10% off. $442 out the door.

When you remote start with the Smart system and open the door (physically but not just unlocking it) the engine will shut off. As mentioned, as long is my farb is in my pocket or jacket, I just put my hand into the door handle (touching nothing) and a senor triggers the door to unlock. Open the door, the car shuts off. I doubled checked with Subaru and that's how the system works. It's part of the design and as I describe security feature, which I like. It would be nice if the car didnt shut off once you opened the door but it is what it is.

Whats noisy is when I put my cargo box on--with and without the moonroof deflector. I have the SportsRack Aero XL (A90275 model--18 cubic feet) from REI, it came as a Voyeger XL model (had it on my Navigator for a few years), found out that Pep Boys has the same model---just different lables. Yakima actually makes all of them others white lable it. REI drop ships from the same warehouse that the SportsRack, PepBoys, and Voyeger XL models. Due to the mistake of drop shipping the wrong model, I ended up getting it for $220.00 (additional 15% off) delivered---no complaints and just pulled the sticker off it. Voyeger XL is actually Walmarts label for it. PepBoys sells it for like $230, Walmart (Voyeger XL) $260, and Amazon (SportRack) like $270. Short of the long, they are all the same but different labels and Yakima makes them-holds a lot and a great cargo box, fits just fine on the Outback.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts