Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently brought my car (Outback 2.5, manual) to a dealership to do a 60K maintenance. After that, I started noticing a bad smell coming from the hot engine after I drive for some time. I can smell it outside the car and sometimes even inside. After stopping the engine, smell disappears in few seconds.

It seemed to me like transmission oil (which was replaced during the maintenance) and I checked its level.
Dealer overfilled it by 0.5 - 1 cm :(

Can this cause some problems with the car? Should I insist to remove the excessive oil?
Thank you!

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
I recently brought my car (Outback 2.5, manual) to a dealership to do a 60K maintenance. After that, I started noticing a bad smell coming from the hot engine after I drive for some time. I can smell it outside the car and sometimes even inside. After stopping the engine, smell disappears in few seconds.

It seemed to me like transmission oil (which was replaced during the maintenance) and I checked its level.

Can this cause some problems with the car? Should I insist to remove the excessive oil?
Thank you!
1cm? Thats like the difference between the garage floor and whereever you happen to have checked it?

Chances are they spilled oil or gear oil and you smell it burning off. Check for leaks and broken CV boots. Both of those will smell bad.

·
Registered
16,967 Posts

Thank you!
it will read high if people don't check it while idling as the manual says. even then, it is hard to get a good reading.

most likely some spilled fluid as mentioned but, doesn't hurt to monitor the situation for a few days.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Check those CV boots and for front diff leak were the CV goes in.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Chances are they spilled oil or gear oil and you smell it burning off. Check for leaks and broken CV boots. Both of those will smell bad.
This have been happening for a month, so I think that any spillage would have burned already.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have axle grease from when the CV blew in my engine compartment that still stinks occasionally. I should probably clean it some time ;)

The stuff can take forever to burn off.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
5 Participants
Bulldog0156
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing