Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have an old account for this forum but can't find the log in details and old email isn't working. Anyway...

A couple of days ago I had been driving for a while and when getting home and parking I noticed smoke coming from the right hand front tyre bay (here in Australia the right is the driver's side).

I opened the bonnet and there was smoke coming from the rear right side of the engine bay, from somewhere down below where the transmission oil (?) goes.

There was also a smell like when the clutch is going in a manual car - kind of a burning rubber smell.

I've driven it a couple of times since (including an unavoidable 3hr return trip) and no smoke, but the smell persists after parking the car.

The temp gauge shows normal.

The car is a 2003 H6.

I'll attach a photo of where the smoke was coming from (centre of photo).

I'm planning on taking it to the mechanic next week but just want to make sure it's safe to drive in the meantime.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Edit: Oh .. and when I checked the engine oil it was very low (topped it up), and also coolant was very low (also topped it up) - despite a service a couple of months ago.

·
Registered
2009 Tribeca Now - 2004 Outback EJ259 - Sold
1,072 Posts
Have a look under the vehicle.
My guess is your inner CV joint split and its throwing grease everywhere & some is burning on the exhaust.
What to look for.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, that sounds like the likely culprit. It's night here now so I can't check it til tomorrow.

Would this be expensive to fix?

Is it safe to drive around until we can get it to the mechanic?

·
Registered
00 Outback Wagon...269K 09 Legacy 2.5 Sedan...93k
202 Posts
Thanks, that sounds like the likely culprit. It's night here now so I can't check it til tomorrow.

Would this be expensive to fix?

Is it safe to drive around until we can get it to the mechanic?
It's a relatively inexpensive/"quick" fix in terms of parts/labor.

Yes...if the CV boot is the problem then no more damage can really be done, assuming you're not planning a long road trip with it. Once the boot is split and leaking it will need to be either re-booted or replaced with a new or reman axle. A few days driving in dry conditions won't do much harm...avoid driving it in the rain though.

·
Registered
Onyx, 2008 LL Bean 3.0R and 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
4,112 Posts
I'd take a look at the valve cover gaskets as well. Not sure about the H6, but they are notorious for leaking in the H4. Also feel your hub after a long drive to make sure it is not hot. It sounds unlikely by your description of the smell, but it's not a bad idea to make sure you don't have a stuck caliper and are burning-up your brake pads.

·
Registered
06 OBW 2.5, 05 Forester, had 03 H6 OBW
5,936 Posts
Also make sure your serpentine belt isn't rubbing due to bad pulley bearings or a failing tensioner.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
H6 Dave he has a chain. CV boot or leaky Valve covers would be the common culprit

Always RE BOOT the original axle unless its been damaged etc. There are lots of known issues with the cheap after market axles giving people lots of issues so OEM axle is recommended to avoid any more issues with it.

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,711 Posts
I think dave meant accessory belt - those pulley bearings are a know issue on H6es

·
Registered
2004 Outback Wagon, 2.5, 4EAT, All weather package.
1,040 Posts
Just throwing this out there, I experienced something very similar when I bought my Outback. I thought for sure it was the passenger side axle boot when I read this site, ended up being a leaky radiator (Subaru coolant burning smells much more oily than any other coolant I have ever smelled burning).

·
Registered
'03 Outback H6-3.0 Black Granite Pearl, base model with cold weather package and cloth seats.
1,062 Posts
H6 Dave he has a chain.

It may not have a timing belt, but it DOES have a serpentine belt, driving AC, PS, alternator, etc. And the tensioners do fail causing additional problems.

And actually it has two timing chains.....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks a lot guys! I'm taking it to the mechanic on Monday so will print out some of the likely suspects listed here to give him a head start in his diagnosis. Cheers.

·
Registered
2009 Tribeca Now - 2004 Outback EJ259 - Sold
1,072 Posts
Whats the verdict?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh, thanks for reminding me!

There was a big split in the CV Boot after all. It was leaking oil onto the exhaust, which is what was causing the smell and smoke.

The mechanic removed the driveshaft, replaced the CV Boot and refitted the driveshaft.

Cost me $197 all up ($21 for part and rest for labour). Does that seem like the right amount?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Burning Smell 2003 H 3.0

I was experiencing a burning smell followed a few days later by shaking once my speed exceeding 40 MPH. Long story short: my right front brake caliper assembly was malfunctioning. The piston was frozen, causing the brake to be engaged all the time. Fortunately the rotor survived. Had to replace both CV's, though. Total bill: $975. Ouch. But I like my Outback anyway....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts