Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day i washed my 09 special edition outback in the driveway and left it over night. In the morning when i started it a significant amout of smoke came out from under the hood. It smelled like something was burning but i could not find any evidence of anything that was burnt. I brought it to the dealer to have them look at it and they didn't find anything either. The car runs fine, all the fluids are fine end the CEL is not on. Has this ever happed to anybody? Does anybody have an idea what could have made this happen or where to take a closer look. I bought the car about 5 months ago from the dealer and got the extended warrentee. Its my 4th outback and i have never had anything like this happen to me.

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
Leaky valve cover gaskets? Though its a bit early for these to start leaking. Subaru's that have seen very good oil change cycles generally get to 150K before the valve cover gaskets start to leak. Cars that do not see proper oil change intervals can have leaky oil pumps and valve cover gaskets as soon as 90K

·
Registered
"Honey Badger" 2005 OBXT Limited 5EAT 108K+ miles
107 Posts
check your CV boots, maybe? if one splits it can possibly throw grease up onto the engine which will then smoke as it burns off.

·
Registered
18,732 Posts
Did the smoke appear as soon as the engine started, or some time after.

I wonder if some water got in under the hood, perhaps collected on the engine block or around the radiator, or even in between the exhaust pipe and it's shields, and started steaming off.

How long did the smoking last?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your replies. The smoke appeared immediately and the amount i would call it a big puff of smoke. I was thinking the same thing about steam but this smelled like something burning. Thats why i brought it to the shop and they found no evidence of anythingthat burnt.

·
Premium Member
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
18,130 Posts
if it truly started immediately from a cold engine - seems like it would have to be electrical.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts