Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Subaru Outback LL Bean Edition
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking into putting a smoke colored film on my tail lights, any good brands?

·
Registered
01 Outback base
195 Posts
me three, does it have to be a film, or is there a way of dying it?

·
Registered
05 OUtback XT
40 Posts
if you dont care about removability, you can get a spray called "Night shades VHT"
If you want a removable film, buy the non car specific stuff from r tints, and do it yourself, you save money and i dont even see any 4th gen specific ones anywhere

·
Registered
'11 outback 2.5i premium '12 impreza sport limited
3,814 Posts
lamin-x is good. but you better know what you're doing if you try to put it on yourself. not happy i threw away $60. i ended up spraying mine, they look good but be warned of the dull finish. it doesn't bother me, but if you do aesthetic mods like that, it might.

·
Registered
189 Posts
That stuff should be illegal .... I wish i could plow every car with those smoked/tinted taillights .... nothing like making your car harder to see at night ... smart mod there :28:

·
Registered
'13 OB, Black, SAP
271 Posts
I agree, I had my front windows tinted yesterday and wanted to get Laminex or Xpel applied to my taillights but all they had was that blacked out color. Not for me. If it were a VERY light tint then maybe i would consider. I always thought it was dangerous because it makes it seem as if you have your lights on when you are actualy braking (and not everyone has a third or working third brake light)....

·
Registered
2013 Legacy Lim CVT Car: 2011 OB Prem 6MT Car: 2006 Miata GT 6MT mc: 2003 Honda GL1800A * Reunite Gondwanaland *
3,565 Posts

·
Registered
'07 OBXT Ltd. 5EAT, Charcoal Gray; '70 Chevy K10 4X4, 396c.i., lifted; '63 Pontiac Tempest, 326c.i.
115 Posts
I agree, the "almost blacked out" tints are horrible and probably are illegal. If not, they should be.

Having said that, I think they are aesthetically appealing, and I also plan on doing the LED conversion for all exterior lights. I would consider doing a VERY light tint. Has anyone done this mod with a spray or film that doesn't drastically change light output, or that makes only a negligible difference?

·
Registered
05 OUtback XT
40 Posts
I agree, the "almost blacked out" tints are horrible and probably are illegal. If not, they should be.
Just to put everyone at ease, in most states, anything over 5-10% blocked IS illegal, but you can get the good looks at way bellow that.
In addition, depending on your exterior color, if you want to do red tint over say, the clear parts, A: This is not illegal, B: the clear parts are probably reverse lamps anyways so its not like its that dengerous to have slightly red reverse lamps.

·
Registered
'11 outback 2.5i premium '12 impreza sport limited
3,814 Posts
i have 2 light coats of VHT nightshades over my taillights. i just turned on my lights in my garage, then i turned on the lights of my wifes' unmolested car. almost no difference between the two. you go heavy with the stuff and yeah you can't see the lights anymore. that being said, i still recommend film, JUST GET IT PROFESSIONALLY INSTALLED!

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
15,483 Posts
That stuff should be illegal .... I wish i could plow every car with those smoked/tinted taillights .... nothing like making your car harder to see at night ... smart mod there :28:
And, depending on your state inspection regulations regarding lights, you will be wasting your money when one of two things occur: Ticket or you have to remove it for the inspection to pass. Don't do it in Texas.

·
Registered
01 Outback base
195 Posts
I will check with the DOT locally and see if there are any regulations. I have the "winestone" color paint, and when i tint the windows paint the bumpers and door panels black i am thinking that coating on the lights would look good, just something to knock that red down a notch in the daylight when the lights are off. Just enough to make it blend a little better.

·
Registered
'13 OB, Black, SAP
271 Posts
I used headlight armor for my tails.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Looks great, is that the "light smoke (50%)" or the "smoke (30%)"?

Easy to install??

·
Registered
01 Outback base
195 Posts
I used headlight armor for my tails.
was that a tinted film? or did it just cut some of the glare naturally? where did you get it and what did it run you?

·
Registered
'13 OB, Black, SAP
271 Posts
It is a tinted protective film from Headlight Armor, mine was the 50 percent smoke I believe. Here is the link. 10-12 Subaru Outback Wagon Smoked Taillight Kit.

As for install, I think it was easy compared to the headlights, but I have also done this on a couple of other cars. Good thing is you can pull it on and off as much as you need as when applying as long as you dont get any oils from your skin on the adhesive side.

I would not do it in cold temps, too much condensation forms under the films and it looks like total crap for a couple of days (thats what happened to me). The film is also slightly larger than the lights so you have some room for play (for me that was good in case i screwed up) and then you can trim it down a bit. The application says 10-12 OB but it fits just fine on a '13.

·
Registered
2011,premium,2.5
646 Posts
i like that,not looking to not be able to be seen at night... just something different darnit lol looking to buy this soon thanks for the post

1 - 18 of 18 Posts