Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I have 2002 Subaru Outback, have put on 166 k mileage. Did timing belt change, head gasket change, valve job, new water pump and thermostat, PCV at 145 k mileage. I have this weird smoke coming from the middle of exhaust pipe just before Cat (I believe what that is, it has holes at the bottom). Usually I get this smoke in my first driving of the day for 15-20 min. I went driving a little uphill at the height and parked at the parking lot of state park. Then I checked at the bottom of car smoking around same spot that I mentioned. Sometimes, that smoke also goes up front of the engine and comes out from the hood. Maybe it smell like ATF fluid. I checked my ATF pan gasket this time no leaks from anywhere. I do not see any leaks from any transmission seal either. Just before that, I was engine idling, and my fan came on indicating my engine was getting hot. Too soon for fan to come after 20 min drive normal speed 30-40 mph. I need to change my thermostat for DTC code P0128 first. What else could be going wrong?

Thanks, and your help is appreciated.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I realized that it is roughly at joint (flange/spring/gasket) of middle exhaust pipe and rear Cat. But this smoking happens only first longer drive of the day when engine gets hot. After that 2nd or 3rd drive, I do not see any smoke coming from there. Maybe it was hot and oil ATF? burnt out for good or something else?

·
Registered
06 OBW 2.5, 05 Forester, had 03 H6 OBW
5,887 Posts
Popular spot for power steering fluid to collect when it leaks. It's ATF.
Mine does very much the same thing, slow leak that while driving gets burned off little by little, park and it collects enough to make visible smoke.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have no code for cat problem. I looked at that joint (flange). It is not flange. It is cover to protect rear cat and mid exhaust pipe. I guess there might be tiny holes leaks. on the welding part because I realized that it is one piece Cat with (front and rear cat with mid exhaust pipe) . When yo buy new cat, it comes with front and rear cat joint together with mid pipe or two separate cats?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts