Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2005 OBW 2.5i, snorkel, skid plates, etc...
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a combination P,A&P post and trip report as it was a melange of the two.

Set to go. Heading for VT.

Camp set up. The 16 x 10 tent squeezed into the leanto near perfectly. Wish I could say the same for the ease of installation for the snorkel!

The Superu on Mt. Washington.

Visibility 85 miles, Wind speed 41 mph, Temperature 48 degrees F.

And here's the money shot!
And I do mean the money shot.
:(

To make a long story very short, the lift kit isn't ready yet so we'll be making a return trip in a month or two to have that installed. The snorkel install was way more involved that expected but came out clean nonetheless.

The aluminum front inner bumper will be replaced with a boxed steel unit tied into the subframe back near the firewall under the car and a custom FRH and light bar will be installed. The Warn 9000i and Lightforce 240 XGT were left in VT for the return.

All in all, it was a great trip, a ton of fun with the family and a start of the completion of the Superu's transformation!

·
Registered
04 Outback
95 Posts
The snorkel looks good on your rig. My one suggestion would be to turn the scoop around the other way. At freeway speeds, the vacumm that is created will keep cool air from reaching the motor, hurting performance, and also creating a possibility for a lean condition. Turn the snorkel around like you have it now, only in really bad dust and snow, where your speed will be reduced anyway because of driving conditions.

I ran a snorkel for 30,000 miles on my jeep with no issues from the rain or other foreign objects coming in the snorkel top (and thats here in rainy Seattle). BTW a end cut off a pair of pantyhose makes a great prefilter if you get in to sand or real dust.

Keep up the cool mods. :7:

·
Submod , ,
2000 BMW R1150gs
3,017 Posts
wbanas you are way cool and way inspiring! :cool: I want to be you when I grow up! :6:

Have you checked out ExpeditionPortal.com or OffroadSubarus.com? You would be king over there as well. :7:

·
Hokey Pokey Champion
'05 Gold OBXT Stg2+
3,594 Posts
Pretty cool. Hopefully you're not planning on putting that snorkel to use real soon, but I guess you'll be prepared if you want to forge a river.

·
Super Moderator
2007 Outback H6 LL Bean - Champagne Gold Opal
6,009 Posts
I hate to think about what would happen to your electronics if you actually went deep enough to put that snorkel to serious use... not to mention the giant hole you cut in your roof! ;)

It looks awesome, best of luck with the completion of all the custom work!

·
Registered
2002 WRX MBP
1,105 Posts
FMGreen said:
I hate to think about what would happen to your electronics if you actually went deep enough to put that snorkel to serious use.
Especially if they still have the ECU located on the floor under the passenger's feet, like in my '97. As long as the electronics are well sealed/located high enough to not be a concern, the snorkel's a great addition. I'm assuming it seals to the airbox reasonably well.

·
Registered
2005 OBXT LDT 5EAT, TDC Stg. 1
443 Posts
Real head-turner you have there.
I would love to see it in person...

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What about coming with us to Carnaval de Quebec

It's Quebec's 400th anniversary celebration and it should be a blast!

Carnaval de Quebec

Would be awesome to get a bunch of Subies up there!

February 1st through the 17th, 2008!

Who's up for it? :4: :18: :7:

·
Gallery Ninja, ,
2004 Outback "Bluebaru" & 2005 Outback XT
5,195 Posts
Does someone want to do our friend Wbanas a favor and turn his picture into Drive Magazine?

Wbanas, your a dude who does not dream, you just "Do". :29:

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'lll try to get pics under hood tonight

There's a lot more space under the hood with the stock airbox gone.

The snorkel comes through the fender, into a connector hose then to the repositioned MAF sensor and into the stock fitting.

AIr filtration is provided up top by a multi layer 3M material that flows and traps well. Also have the off-road pre-filter that is for extremely dusty conditions.

Just a little bit longer to finish up with the FRH, lightbar and lift and we'll be done for 07!

2008 may see a Mac mini and touchscreen installed!

·
Gallery Ninja, ,
2004 Outback "Bluebaru" & 2005 Outback XT
5,195 Posts
What do you have in the way of communication gear?

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Comm gear

Cobra 25 WX NW ST

Cobra FRS/GMRS 2-Ways / Cobra LI 7000-2WX

UNIDEN BC-246T HAND HELD SCANNER

Dell Latitude w/ T-mobile Wireless Internet loaded up with Delorme Street Atlas US & Canada, Delorme Topo US & Canada and the all important Storm Predator III.

Also have a Philips Dual screen DVD player in the back for the kids.

Just need to find a cable to connect the VGA out on my laptop to the funky mini a/v input on the DVD player so I can port iTunes shows to the kid's screens.

And to keep track of the adventures I use my Olympus E-500 DSLR

and a Sony TVR-950 3 CCD Camcorder.

·
Registered
1999 Legacy Outback 2.5L 5spd
1,198 Posts
Don't you think you're going a little bare in the communications department?:p

But seriously, where is your Amateur Radio? Its one of the best ways of communication.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
HAM is on my list for 08.

Now that I can get licensed without trying to remember the Morse code I forgot as a kid! :)

Any recommendations on mobile rigs and antennas for the Subie?

·
Submod , ,
2000 BMW R1150gs
3,017 Posts

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
HAM got bumped up and here's the underhoods

Where it enters from the fender.

Big picture view

Extreme dust conditions pre-cleaner

And the Yaesu 2800 was just too affordable with a $40 instant rebate until 7/31 to pass up. Guess I'll start studying for my Technician license exam!

·
Registered
1999 Legacy Outback 2.5L 5spd
1,198 Posts
Re: HAM is on my list for 08.

wbanas said:
Now that I can get licensed without trying to remember the Morse code I forgot as a kid! :)

Any recommendations on mobile rigs and antennas for the Subie?
You haven't needed morse for Tech for a while now, which is why I have a ticket.:cool:

On the radio front I have a handheld 2 meter Icom IC-V8 that I run up to a small mag-mount antenna I picked up for about $15, and at the same time picked up a small, coaster-like rubber pad that helps reduce scratching of the paint/wax from the moving around. I generally leave it up all the time, though. (When its not getting washed, and putting it on right after washing reduces dirt that gets between antenna and paint.)

For my taller CB antenna (a $4 special), the antenna is mounted on a vertical plate, so I simply drilled a couple extra holes, and used those U-shaped bolt fasteners to clamp it onto the side roof rail, with a piece of sticky-backed felt to protect the rail from damage. I also wrapped the bent part of the fasteners in electrical tape for more protection, and found some long plastic spacers that slip over the threads to protect the rail. The electical tape is holding up pretty well, though I'd better look for something better, like maybe some liquid tape, or liquid rubber, like the stuff you dip tool handles in. The nylon spacers definately are a big help with keeping things in place though.

I just routed the coax through the back hatch at the top sides where the metal curves.

There are also more professional mounts that clamp onto metal lips (like the body or hatch lips) with rubber pads and set screws. If you are willing to spend the money, I'd go with that, as they would be more reliable. I'll pull out some of my magazines to check for that company, but I believe the company is called Comet Antennas.

I'll take some pics next time I have the CB installed, as I had to remove it for an autocross recently, and its a relative PITA to set up. Though its VERY sturdy once the nuts are cranked down.

I am assuming you don't want to drill holes in the metal, of course. And yet another option is a type of mount that clamps to truck mirror bars, or roof rack bars, though you would have to make sure nothing in a roof rack touches the antenna, or nothing big and metal is too near the antenna.

·
Registered
2002 WRX MBP
1,105 Posts
Re: Re: HAM is on my list for 08.

xcgates said:

I am assuming you don't want to drill holes in the metal, of course. And yet another option is a type of mount that clamps to truck mirror bars, or roof rack bars, though you would have to make sure nothing in a roof rack touches the antenna, or nothing big and metal is too near the antenna.
Never assume. He's definately not afraid of drilling (or cutting) holes in the Outback. Although, personally, I prefer the stealth ability of going with a magnet mount antenna.

·
Submod , ,
2000 BMW R1150gs
3,017 Posts
Re: Re: HAM is on my list for 08.

xcgates said:
Like IV said, HA!!! wbanas afraid of some little holes (or big ones for that matter)?! :2: :5: :19: :21:

BTW wbanas, how does it sound now with the snork on?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts