Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am new to the forum. I just got a 2002 outback 5 speed last week. I am thinking of getting a set of snow and mud tires for the wagon. Can you guys tell me want size should I go with as I would like to get a narrower tire....215/65R16? or should I get some steel 15" rims and put some 215/75R15. If I go with the 15" rims would that clear the brakes. Your expert reply would be greatly appreaciate.

Jim

·
Registered
14,354 Posts
A 205/65R16 would be a closer match to stock circumference while going a bit narrower.

205/70R15 is probably the right fit if you want to go to 15". Most 15" tires are a good bit cheaper than larger sizes, maybe enough to pay for the steelies too.

15" steel will clear stock brakes. Use a tire size calculator to verify that you are staying close to the stock circumference, if you haven't already. This will let you compare different tires.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the great info. I'll look for some 15" steelies.:29: Do you think the Forester steel rims would fit the outback?

·
Super Moderator
12,119 Posts
They will. BUT, not sure 15" will clear your brakes.

2002 was a transition year for a rotor change. 15 will clear the earlier style, but not the newer.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Now how do I know which has the newer rotors. My VIN can tell?

·
Registered
399 Posts
They will. BUT, not sure 15" will clear your brakes.

2002 was a transition year for a rotor change. 15 will clear the earlier style, but not the newer.
+1

I can ID the front brakes visually as follows:
If you look @ the swept area of the front disks - the newer/bigger brake have more unswept area then the smaller/older disk set-up.

If you have about .5-.7" of unswept area towards the center of the rotor you have the bigger brakes.

If the pads sweep just about the entire rotor you have the smaller brakes.

Note: Front Brake Calipers & Pads are the same for both the 10.9" & 11.4" front brake rotor set-ups (which is why there is more unswept area on the big brake set-up).

Pics would help but I do no have any handy...

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
im running 215/70/16 this is the second season on them with no issues
Can you take a pic of the wheels. Just like to see how high the car sit up, as 70's are a lot higher then the 60's in the original tires. Maybe I'll do 205/70 16:D

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
14,354 Posts
Way more choices available in 205/65r16 vs the 70.

The 205/65 should give you almost exactly the same overall size and ride height as the stock 225/60s.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts