Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
06 Outback 2.5i
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to get a pair for my 06 outback 2.5i while it's still summer and they are still cheap. I know I will never have to use them, but I want to avoid the scenario where I'm pulled over and given a ticket for not carrying them, or California encounters a level III chain restrictions.

The owner's manual says I cannot use chains with a P225/55R17 tire size. However, I have on 225/55R17 tires. These are different tire sizes, correct? Would I be good with tire cables that fit 225/55R17 tires?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2016 3.6 Limited with ES
2,913 Posts
I tend to think that S class cables from Z Chain will work since they are small diameter cable. Try their site for fitment. I think a couple of sets are S class and less than 8 mm in diameter.

·
Registered
06 Outback 2.5i
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looking at Peerless's site, all their models for 225/55-17 tires meet S clearance requirements

Z-555 Z-Chain
sz139 Super Z-6
sz339 Z Passenger
sc1038 radial chain
0155305 auto-trac
ws1614 whitestar
qg1138 quick grip

·
Registered
1999 30th Anniversary Legacy Outback DOHC 2.5L 4EAT, 2008 Impreza WRX 2.5L 5MT, 2008 Impreza Wagon 2.5L 4EAT
1,224 Posts
Service Type
Most tire sizes begin with a letter or letters that identify the type of vehicle and/or type of service for which they were designed. The common indicators are as follows:

P225/50R16 91S

P = When a tire size begins with a "P," it signifies the tire is a "P-metric" size that was designed to be fitted on vehicles that are primarily used as passenger vehicles. This includes cars, minivans, sport utility vehicles and light duty pickup trucks (typically 1/4- and 1/2-ton load capacity). The use of P-metric sizes began in the late 1970s and they are the most frequently used type of tire size today.

225/50R16 92S

If there isn't a letter preceding the three-digit numeric portion of a tire size, it signifies the tire is a "Metric" size (also called "Euro-metric" because these sizes originated in Europe). While Metric tire sizes are primarily used on European cars, they are also used on vans and sport utility vehicles. Euro-metric sizes are dimensionally equivalent to P-metric sizes, but typically differ subtly in load carrying capabilities.

From tirerack.com

·
Registered
06 3.0R JDM facelift SI Drive-shift paddles. 87 Brumby EA81 (Brat) 4MT D/R
609 Posts
Still carry chains in winter even though run winter tyres
because roading authorities here in NZ make it compulsory to carry / fit chains when necessary / when they decide,
on certain mountain roads here.
Use Alpine Star easy fit, diamond pattern, with single inner hoop.

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,346 Posts
The owner's manual says I cannot use chains with a P225/55R17 tire size. However, I have on 225/55R17 tires. These are different tire sizes, correct?
No.

Would I be good with tire cables that fit 225/55R17 tires?
Yes.

·
Registered
06 Outback 2.5i
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the responses. I reached out to Peerless and they cannot recommend a chain/cable for my car if the manual says not to use chains. They did note that the Super Z6 require the least amount of clearance. They require 6mm of side clearance.

I've ordered a pair of Super Z6 chains (SZ139).

·
Registered
06 Outback 2.5i
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Got the chains today and did a test install with the car on the ground. Then I jacked up the car, and spun the tires to see how things fit. It's a VERY tight fit.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited, Graphite Gray
24 Posts
curious, how much did the Z chains run you? would be a good thing to have and not need ;)

·
Premium Member
24 Posts

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
peerless links my size 225/60/17 with Z143..... which were like $28 per set of 2 so not bad at all.....

amazon prime has paid for itself ..... that was 30 $ shipping saved :grin2:

Reactions: jamesm113

·
Registered
20 Posts
Got the chains today and did a test install with the car on the ground. Then I jacked up the car, and spun the tires to see how things fit. It's a VERY tight fit.
When I test fitted the Z chain with my 18-inch tires, there was more clearance in the rear tires than the front tires. I plan to get a set of 17-inch winter tires (and rims) for winter driving and test again.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6R
24 Posts
Has anyone tried Security Chain Company ZT729 Super Z LT cables with the 255/60R18 tires on a 2018 Outback?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts