I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,305 Posts

·
Registered
2012 OB 2.5i Premium
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did and really didn't find many first hand opinions. Just peoples opinions based on hear say and what they did on previous cars. :) I would love to know what people have actually used! :) also most of those threads just lead people to snow tires. Not what im after :)

·
Registered
2012 Subaru Outback Premium 2.5
214 Posts
I dont have snow chains on my outback but have driven emergency vehicles with them. They're pretty uncomfortable to drive with and you cant go over 30mph, its not pretty if you do. They make the ride SO much louder too. Ive driven many cars through some pretty deep snow in the northeast and had no issues. Even with a RWD Miata. Its not necessary to put chains on a subaru. Keep distance between you and cars in front, keep your speed steady going up hills and use lower gears doing down hill. But most of all, enjoy the snow! :)

·
Registered
2013 Outback Limited with SAP and the fancy foot lighting inside and out
49 Posts
In California you won't need chains with an AWD vehicle and tires that indicate M&S on the sidewall with good tread.

·
Registered
91 Posts
In California you won't need chains with an AWD vehicle and tires that indicate M&S on the sidewall with good tread.
This is not quite correct. You MUST carry chains in the car for at least 1 axle when driving in chain control areas in California. From California Department of Transportation website: Chain Requirements

Also, from owner's manual (2012 Outback):
"Tire chains
CAUTION: Tire chains cannot be used on your vehicle because of the lack of clearance between the tires and vehicle body.

NOTE: When tire chains cannot be used, use of another type of traction device (such as spring chains) may be acceptable if use on your vehicle is recommended by the device manufacturer, taking into account tire size and road conditions. Follow the device manufacturer’s instructions, especially regarding maximum vehicle speed. To help avoid damage to your vehicle, drive slowly, readjust or remove the device if it is contacting your vehicle,
and do not spin your wheels. Damage caused to your vehicle by use of a traction device is not covered under warranty.

Make certain that any traction device you use is an SAE class S device, and use it on the front wheels only. Always use the utmost care when driving with a traction device. Overconfidence because
you are using a traction device could easily lead to a serious accident."

Therefore, if I read the manual correctly, you can use only Class S devices like the super Z6: http://www.scc-chain.com/traction%20pages/Trac_SZ6.html

·
Registered
01 Outback LL Bean
2,414 Posts
I have a set of SCC Super Z6. Easy to put on and include a nice bag. Bought them from Amazon.

If you drive in the mountains in California in the winter I would carry them. Technically you would not need chains in an R-2 situation on an Outback if you have M+S tires with at least 6/32 of tread, but this is a judgement call if you go through a chain check point and you may be asked to show or put on chains on at least one axle.

People think about chains being helpful to move the car, but they can also be very useful for aiding in braking when traveling down hill. Here are the California rules

R-1: Chains are required on all vehicles except passenger vehicles and light-duty trucks under 6,000 pounds gross weight and equipped with snow tires on at least two drive wheels. Chains must be carried by vehicles using snow tires. All vehicles towing trailers must have chains on one drive axle. Trailers with brakes must have chains on at least one axle.

R-2: Chains are required on all vehicles except four-wheel-drive vehicles under 6,500 pounds gross weight and equipped with snow tires on all four wheels. Chains for one set of drive wheels must be carried by four wheel-drive vehicles using snow tires.

R-3: Chains are required on all vehicles without exception.

R-1 and R-2 are the most common conditions. A highway will often be closed before an R-3 condition is imposed. Some local areas may use variations of these designations. You must follow the directions on the signs posted for chain controls or any instructions given by Caltrans or CHP personnel at chain control check points, even if these are at variance with broadcast road condition reports or information contained herein.

·
Registered
2007 Outback XT Ltd
847 Posts
So, has California made tire socks legal yet? That is by far the best solution for an OB - they take minimal room, weigh next to nothing and won't rust. If you do use them, you can throw them in the washing machine after. For a safety item that will in all likelihood never be used, they are ideal.

They were made legal in WA just last spring: ... http://www.capitalpress.com/content/AP-tire-socks-030212

John Davies
Spokane WA USA

·
Registered
5 Posts
Good information...I have a 2013 OB and will be taking it on a colorado road trip this winter.

And good advice about always carrying in CA. I've been stopped and told to put them on a checkpoints near Lake Tahoe even though I was driving a 4WD vehicle with M+S rated tires. It's a pretty hefty fine if you don't comply...

Cheers,
Steve

·
Registered
2012 OB 2.6 CVT Limited
11 Posts
So, has California made tire socks legal yet? That is by far the best solution for an OB - they take minimal room, weigh next to nothing and won't rust. If you do use them, you can throw them in the washing machine after. For a safety item that will in all likelihood never be used, they are ideal.

They were made legal in WA just last spring: ... Washington Legislature OKs tire socks for traction in snow | capitalpress.com

John Davies
Spokane WA USA
I called the company about 2 weeks ago and was told they are not legal in California. Too bad.
Joe

·
Registered
32 Posts
We have a 2001 Outback and live in snow country. My wife drives a 3 mile commute from town to home climbing 1200' in elevation. We carry chains as required by law. The container the chains came in still has the plastic wrap on it.

·
Registered
OB 2011 3.6R Limited with NAV
65 Posts
I have a set of SCC Super Z6. Easy to put on and include a nice bag. Bought them from Amazon.
I will drive again to Arizona from Canada sometimes in February and my February 2012 experience is that this is not a joke to drive through the Monida Pass in winter towing a small trailer, so I will chose days when decent weather is forecasted. However, you convinced me that having set of SCC Super Z6 makes perfect sense in my preparations for the trip.

For my original OB tires (Conti P225/60R17) the
Amazon.com fitment guide shows stock number SZ139 for this tire.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/B1AuiYOtblS.pdf

However if I go directly to the manufacturer fitment guide and enter my tire:
SCC Winter traction product application guide
it states stock number SZ143.
I don't want to order incorrect set of SCC Super Z6 and with all the troubles with returning it later.

Do you know which stock number of SCC Super Z6 I should order for OB standard Conti tire P225/60R17?
Thanks

·
Registered
OB 2011 3.6R Limited with NAV
65 Posts
I will drive again to Arizona from Canada sometimes in February and my February 2012 experience is that this is not a joke to drive through the Monida Pass in winter towing a small trailer, so I will chose days when decent weather is forecasted. However, you convinced me that having set of SCC Super Z6 makes perfect sense in my preparations for the trip.

For my original OB tires (Conti P225/60R17) the
Amazon.com fitment guide shows stock number SZ139 for this tire.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/B1AuiYOtblS.pdf

However if I go directly to the manufacturer fitment guide and enter my tire:
SCC Winter traction product application guide
it states stock number SZ143.
I don't want to order incorrect set of SCC Super Z6 and with all the troubles with returning it later.

Do you know which stock number of SCC Super Z6 I should order for OB standard Conti tire P225/60R17?
Thanks
I have just received an email from the manufacturer:
-----------------------------------------------------------
Jack,

I apologize there is a look up issue with the Amazon website. We are in process of helping them out with this.

The appropriate PN that you need is the SZ143. If you have any other questions feel free to contact me.

Thank you,

Bret Young, HD Sales Manager
Email: [email protected]
Peerless Industrial Group | Clackamas Division (SCC)
---------------------------------------------------------
So there is an error in the fitment guide on Amazon site. If you buy chain traction product from SCC (for OB 2010 and up)
you need SCC Super Z6 product number SZ143.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts