Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have gotten 7 seasons out of my original set of studded Nokian Hakka 2 tires! Probably as much as 70,000 miles! But sadly now it's time to replace them. We no longer have a highway commute each day. It's going to be mainly around town on reasonably well -paved roads. Northern VT. Last winter was zero snow thanks to global warming... this year could be different. Anyway... I liked those old Hakkas because they were so good on all snow and ice...but they were a tough ride... blocky, noisy.

So, no studs I think.
It's down to more recent Hakka 5 or 7.
General Arctimax Arctics or
Hankook i Pike

We are not performance drivers (obviously, with an 04 4 cylinder), but I'm not leaning toward an old school blocky tire like the Cooper Weathermaster. Want a little of the more manageable feel of a contemporary tire. Mileage and low rolling resistance is not a really high priority.
I'm planning on trying to find some used so I cannot be too picky but given those options, opinions?
Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
12,108 Posts
The Generals and Hankooks are great bang for the buck tires.

·
Registered
850 Posts
I've got some Hercules Avalanches for my Forester, i've used them for about 3 seasons now and they grip really well and as far as I can tell the thread seems barely worn at all...

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've ran the general articmax artic and firestone winterforce both without studs and they are both terrific in the snow. I just picked up some used nokian hakkas 4 on subie rims studded for my h6 2004 outback. I'm glad I read your post because i tried them just back and forth to work to see if they would lose air and ride okay. It was definately a rougher ride so i am glad to read your post and see that is normal. I put my all-seasons back on so i won't get ticketed, (NYS northern tier.) and smooth as silk. thanks again. hope that helps.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
I bought the Altimax Arctics for my 2004 a month or so ago...haven't seen a winter with them yet, of course, but they look really nice to me!

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
I've ran the general articmax artic and firestone winterforce both without studs and they are both terrific in the snow. I just picked up some used nokian hakkas 4 on subie rims studded for my h6 2004 outback. I'm glad I read your post because i tried them just back and forth to work to see if they would lose air and ride okay. It was definately a rougher ride so i am glad to read your post and see that is normal. I put my all-seasons back on so i won't get ticketed, (NYS northern tier.) and smooth as silk. thanks again. hope that helps.
Ticketed for studless snows? That's interesting...as long as they're not studded, Massachusetts doesn't care when you use them (Studs are good November -April, I think, but I don't like them so I don't run them).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
6 Participants
jp1203
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing